“Walk to the aquarium, Panera, and subway”

InterContinental Boston
Ranked #3 of 83 Hotels in Boston
GreenLeadersGold level
Boulder, CO
“Walk to the aquarium, Panera, and subway”
Reviewed 29 December 2013

This high-end hotel is a perfect launch point for sightseeing. We walked to the aquarium (close), Boston Common (further), and found we did not need a car. We could reach the attractions we wanted to see on foot or via subway.

The rooms (especially the bathrooms) feel luxurious. I believe the double beds are a European size -- closer to a U.S. Full, much narrower than Queen. Keep this in mind when deciding the bed count you need. The mattresses and linens were quite comfortable.

The fitness facility is well-equipped and spacious, and you must walk through it to access the pool area. They try to keep a "spa" type feel in the exercise and pool rooms, so if you have a group with lots of kids, this is not the best place for a rowdy pool gathering.

I would recommend this hotel to a couple on a romantic weekend or a business traveler. It's not as welcoming for children.

The breakfast is quite expensive, so we walked a few blocks to Panera, Dunkin Donuts and Starbucks to satisfy morning appetites.

If you have a car, make arrangements to park it at an outlying train station and take public transportation to the hotel. Parking at the hotel is expensive.

Room Tip: This hotel backs to the waterfront and faces an old-fashioned fire station. Our kids enjoyed looking...
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled with family

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (896)
  • Greek first
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Thai first
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed 28 December 2013

I really enjoyed the stay at the InterContinental Boston. I went with a group of friends, and we booked through Hotwire. I wasn't sure what to expect but was pleasantly surprised.

The first thing that hits you when you walk into the lobby is this wonderful smell! I usually hate scented areas, but this was wonderfully luxurious.

It is a newer hotel and the rooms are large and spacious. There were four of us in the room and there was lots of room to keep our luggage. The bathroom was large with a separate bath and shower stall. The decor is modern, dark wood with golden coloured walls. There was a lit wall panel between the beds, which was kinda cool. We used it as a night light.

The location of the hotel was convenient for us to sight see. A ten-fifteen minute walk to Boston Common and the start of the Freedom Trail. Same to get to Faneuil Hall and the Aquarium. A quick walk to South Station and access to the transit for other destinations.

The concierge was very helpful with giving directions. When we asked for recommendations for dinner one night, the lady offered to book it for us (The Chart House). What we didn't know at the time was that we got a complimentary dessert as well, which was a pleasant surprise.

• Stayed May 2013, travelled with friends
InterConBos, General Manager at InterContinental Boston, responded to this review, 31 December 2013
Dear thamuria,

Thank you for your great review; it is a pleasure to hear how much you enjoyed your recent stay with us. We always aim to exceed our guest’s expectations and I’m thrilled that our team was able to do so on this occasion. From the lobby scent to the room décor and orientation, we truly appreciate your compliments of the property and staff. I hope you will stay with us again soon!

Ian Pullan
InterContinental® Boston
Ian.Pullan@ihg.com
Worcester, Massachusetts
Reviewed 28 December 2013

From the very beginning with the warm welcome from the doorman to the very end with the very friendly accommodating bellman the service was exceptional. Evan (Guest Services) was well prepared with a package of helpful information that made our choices so much easier. Having things at our fingertips versus having to spend time “googling” information allowed us to start our adventure immediately. Evan was so kind, welcoming, and extremely professional. Luis (Concierge) introduced himself, made sure we knew we could ask for any assistance at any time, another warm, welcoming and extremely professional person. Luis knew all the “ins and outs” of the City and was a vital resource during our stay.

Our bellman had a great sense of humor, and made sure our suitcases were properly stored and dress clothes hung in the hall closet. We laughed about my inability to make decisions about what type of clothes to bring so he had 2 very heavy suitcases to unload for a one night stay.

Upon entering the Penthouse South suite, a wonderful artisan cheese platter, fresh fruit, and my wine choice (pre-ordered with the help of Guest Services!) were displayed beautifully on the table. There was a welcome letter which is sweet personalized touch. The bathroom amenities (Agraria) were also displayed elegantly. The view from those ceiling to floor windows was spectacular. When I had called regarding an empty beer bottle found in the Butlers Kitchen and for what now appears to have been rug fragments (I’m told the rug was recently replaced and the suite renovated) in the foyer hall, the staff were quick to respond, apologetic, and professional. The housekeeper who responded went over and beyond in assuring things were properly cleaned even beyond the two mentioned items above. The remainder of the suite was immaculately cleaned; every “nook” was clean and dust-free! Another employee who had a great smile, was warm and friendly, accommodating and provided exceptional professional service.

Vee, the bartender at RumBa was friendly, had a great sense of humor, talkative, and he shared great places to eat for when we decide to return in the future. RunBa décor is beautiful. The fireplaces made the sitting area feel like home. I did not have the opportunity to experience the food, but I am sure it would be top notch. I do not want to forget to mention the variety of snacks and beverage choices in the Club Intercontinental as well as the delicious breakfast buffet items. Again the service in the club was another fine example of exceptional service.

So lastly but certainly not the least impressive was our suite after turndown service. The pathway of candles was very romantic. The robes were beautifully displayed. The white and milk chocolate covered strawberries were just as scrumptious for breakfast as they were for dessert.

The ease of getting to the hotel, registering, receiving service and check out was exceptional beyond words. I would definitely recommend to family and friends and visit again in the future. I have told many people about our outstanding adventure. InterContinental Boston is THE hotel to reserve when visiting the City. No other hotel in the City of Boston comes close to the perfection of InterContinental.

Thank you, InterContinental, for a perfect weekend!

• Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
Boston, Massachusetts
Reviewed 26 December 2013

I organized a Christmas Dinner Party for 16 at Miel's Rest at the Intercontinental !!
I had never been before but took a leap of faith and gave it a try.
We could not have picked a more perfect spot !! The Hotel was beautiful, the private Olive Oil room at MIEL was super cool, the service was impeccable, the food was 5 star delicious and our event coordinator Allison was awesome !!! The 16 of us loved the entire evening and have already decided to have our next year's Christmas Party there !!!
If you are looking for a great dinner at a lovely restaurant or need a spot for an event, big or small I believe you would be very happy with the Intercontinental Hotel and Miel !!! Bon Appetit

• Stayed December 2013, travelled with friends
InterConBos, Manager at InterContinental Boston, responded to this review, 31 December 2013
Dear Roseanne,

Thank you so much for all of the nice things you had to say about your experience here at Miel. Our staff is still talking about how much fun they had with your group! I look forward to planning next year's party with you!

Happy New Year,

Allison Neves
Food & Beverage Events & Promotions Manager
Maynard, Massachusetts
Reviewed 23 December 2013

I would highly recommend staying here to everyone. We had the most amazing experience here from the minute we pulled up front. The staff was very welcoming, and made me feel like I made the best hotel choice before I even saw my room. To coincide with our room, the view was amazing. Our bed was one of the most comfortable beds in which I have ever slept on. The rooms were also very quiet, and could not hear the hustle, and bustle from the streets below.

The location is great, as it was a short walk to Faneuil Hall, and a short walk to a great dinner in the North End.

I am going to encourage all of my family, and friends to stay here when they visit the city.

Room Tip: A room with a view of the water was great to wake up too
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
Dear Matt C,

On behalf of our entire team here at the hotel, thank you very much for your wonderful review! I’m thrilled that you had such a great overall experience from the very start, beginning with your arrival experience and resulting in such a comfortable night’s sleep. We appreciate your recommending us and hope you’ll be back to stay with us again soon!

Ian Pullan
InterContinental® Boston
Ian.Pullan@ihg.com
Tampa, Florida
Reviewed 22 December 2013

We had a wonderful time at the Boston intercontinental. The service was great and we came across some very helpful and kind people on the club level. Met a server who spent quite some time showing us on a map where we should go during our stay. Rooms were very nice and clean and the hotel staff very accommodating.

• Stayed December 2013
Boston, Massachusetts
Reviewed 22 December 2013 via mobile

My fiancé and I stayed here for one night after my company holiday party in Boston. We stayed in a city side king room on the 7th floor. The bathroom was amazing with a large soaking tub and glass shower. The room was spacious with a very comfortable bed. We greatly enjoyed using the pool, which was so warm! The steam room in the women's locker room was also very nice. The staff was helpful and friendly. A great little escape from the December chill.

Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple