“Wasn't Impressed”

GreenLeadersGold level
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
“Wasn't Impressed”
Reviewed 9 January 2014

Stayed one night in May. We parked in the underground garage. In the lobby, we stood in line to check-in at the front desk. For the cost of the expensive room, I shouldn't have to stand in line as though I'm at a Holiday Inn. It was a cattle call at the front desk. It was on a weekend and a lot of people were in the lobby lounging, mingling and checking in. The lobby was modern-looking, cold bare. The guest room was spacious with a couch sitting/TV area and desk. The bed was comfortable. There wasn't anything exceptional about the room. It was sparsely decorated, boring. However, the bathroom was very nice. Great water pressure. My first impression and last impression of the hotel was "This is business person's hotel." So corporate-like!

Room Tip: My room overlooked the Childrens Museum. It was quiet...no noise.
  • Stayed May 2013, travelled on business
InterConBos, General Manager at InterContinental Boston, responded to this review, 10 January 2014
Dear TrueReview10,

I am very sorry to have given you a poor impression on your stay with us last May. Our goal is to be an urban resort and we do have some exciting changes to the lobby planned for the beginning of this year. I regret that the check-in process took longer than anticipated due to our high occupancy at the time; our front desk team does make every effort to welcome guests efficiently in these instances, and I have passed on your feedback to our management team. Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel, I truly hope that you will give us another chance to exceed your expectations on your next visit to Boston.

Ian.Pullan@ihg.com

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (880)
  • Greek first
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Thai first
Chester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 9 January 2014

Service, Cleanliness, Location were all perfect. No complaints at all. The only gripe was that Boston is a terrible city to try and park a hire car so you've not got a lot of option but to use the hotel car park which is very, very expensive at $30 for 24 hours.

Room Tip: We had a room facing the Boston Tea Party ships and out to sea, it was lovely and worth the extra ch...
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 8 January 2014

Nice hotel with great views. Close to city center. Nice running tracks in the area when you are a jogger. Club InterContinental was also great and the staff was very attentive! The gym is well equipped but the pool was really cold. Spa was amazing! Good place to stay in Boston!

• Stayed September 2013, travelled solo
Wayland, Massachusetts
Reviewed 6 January 2014

Recently we stayed at the InterContinental Boston, and what a wonderful visit it was!

Our very spacious “junior suite” was beautiful and so was the view. We looked out at the water, the Tea Party Museum and the Children's Museum.

The hotel is currently exhibiting works in the lobby, by Andy Warhol and two other pop artists. We felt as if we were on Newbury Street!

The dinner my wife and I had at Miel was excellent, as well. The food was delicious and beautifully presented. The wait staff was eager to please and made us feel more than welcome.

The fitness room had state-of-the-art equipment, and the staff was very helpful.

The InterContinental Boston certainly knows how to treat its guests, and we look forward to a return visit!

Room Tip: Junior Suite with a water view - higher floor
Holden, Massachusetts
Reviewed 6 January 2014

Only stayed one night on points. Staff was excellent checking in. Got a room on the 14th floor. Room was large and beds were very comfortable. Hotel was very quiet, never heard anyone. Great location for the seaport area. We walked to Faneuil Hall and the Aquarium.

Would stay again for sure.

Room Tip: Higher the better.
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank Websterd13
InterConBos, General Manager at InterContinental Boston, responded to this review, 8 January 2014
Dear Websterd13,

Thank you very much for your wonderful review, especially the acknowledgement of the front desk staff at check-in. We are very fortunate to be situated in such a great area of Boston and I am glad you were able to take advantage of the local attractions our city has to offer. I hope we have the opportunity to welcome you back very soon!

Massachusetts
Reviewed 4 January 2014

We were looking for a Boston Hotel to stay at for the night of a wedding that we were attending. Being a Priority Club member I read through the reviews here for the Intercontinental and decided that we'd stay, first time. In the end we were happy with our stay, but not blown away. It seems to me that the customers that were blown away paid over and above the standard rack rate by staying in suites or had access to the Club Lounge. I'm not sure if we'll stay there again.

Good things:

Nice big room, with the standard large HD TV, and with an exceptional bathroom that has a separate bathtub and shower.

A mini-bar, if you are so inclined.

Nice touches - a shelf by the door where you could leave the room key and a sofa/chaise lounge at the foot of the bed.

Great location, within walking distance of several Boston things to do (Faneuil Hall, Boston Common, the North End, etc).

A splendid looking lobby with a couple of nice looking drinking/eating facilities

Friendly service that were interested in actually serving the customers.

Not so great:

I read that they charge $44/night for parking. I realize that hotels are now using their parking facilities to "pad" the bill, but I think that $44 is a bit much (an almost 20% surcharge on a $235 room). So we parked at a parking garage right across the street, for a weekend rate of $10/night. Interestingly there's a $10 garage right next door, but it was closed "due to icing". Wonder if the Intercontinental had anything to do with that. My advise - there are several garages within a couple of blocks of the hotel, check them out before committing to parking in the hotel.

The room design team that decided to have the wall opening between the bathroom and bedroom should be banished from decorating any more hotels. There was a "shutter" that could be closed for some privacy, but it doesn't do enough to muffle the sounds or light from the bathroom, especially if you're trying to sleep a little longer while your other half is getting ready for the day.

I've probably spent a thousand nights in hotel rooms and have noticed that the hotel brands are concentrating on providing more comfortable beds (gotta love those adjustable ones). I found the bed to be too firm, and I think that's standard here. That's a personal thing but I think worth mentioning.

As a final nit detail, I couldn't for the life of me figure out how to set the alarm clock to its proper time - and since it wasn't even close to the right time, I suspect I wasn't the first. No problem setting the alarm though so I was able to set it to a time that offset the wrong time. I could have used an instruction manual.

Dublin, Ireland
Reviewed 3 January 2014

We stayed here for one night after flying into Logan. The price does not match the quality of the service. The room was gorgeous, nice bed and great big bathtub. We filled out the breakfast room service form and hung on the door at 11pm. No one collected the form in the night so we were surprised when no breakfast arrived. I phoned the concierge who told me, 'Oh well I can have them make something quick.' We went downstairs to breakfast instead. We placed our order and waited 20-30 minutes drinking luke-warm tea. Finally a server came over and asked us, 'Where's your food?' I was annoyed. It was obvious our order had not been given to the kitchen as the food didn't come for another 15 minutes. No one apologized or even acknowledged the mistake. Oddly, when the food did arrive it was cold.

As if failing twice on breakfast wasn't bad enough, a family came into the breakfast area from outside and the open door which sent a freezing wind over us. It also blew curtains so strongly that they knocked into all the glasses on our table. Had my girlfriend not reacted quickly and grab the glasses we would've had broken glass on us. That was the last straw.

I tried to use the steam room which was not hot. The woman's steam room was closed for cleaning. I also have to mention that the 'valet' service will take your car from the front but you have to walk with your bags down to the parking garage to collect it. If you're car isn't brought to you on the curb - it isn't valet.

We communicated our disappointment to the desk on checkout and the man couldn't have cared less. When our final bill was emailed there was a $64 charge which they couldn't explain on the phone and refunded. I will never stay there again.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
InterConBos, General Manager at InterContinental Boston, responded to this review, 6 January 2014
Dear SoVeryHungry33,

Needless to say, I am very disappointed and sorry to read your review. I would like you to know that we take your comments very seriously; if you would be willing to contact me at the email address below, I would appreciate the opportunity to speak with you directly regarding the issues encountered throughout your stay, which are certainly not up to our standards.