“Excellent”

InterContinental Boston
Ranked #2 of 84 Hotels in Boston
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed 22 January 2014 via mobile

We had a wonderful stay. Outstanding room with a great view. Everyone at the hotel was knowledgeable and helpful. Had an excellent visit.

With an excellent view, we very much enjoyed the time at the hotel during this trip to Boston.

• Stayed: March 2013
2  Thank Bills2018

Reviewed 21 January 2014

I stayed here for New Years’ Eve 2014 in the harbor facing, king-sized hotel room. We were hoping to get a view of the fireworks over the harbor but it turns out they’re only visible from outside the Harbor Hotel area. Nevertheless, the room was very pleasant, luxurious enough, and modern (for a Boston hotel), but a bit on the small side. It did, however, have a separate bath and shower. The bathroom and bedroom were not totally separated, as there were sliding windows above the bathtub that open over the bed. While you can see the harbor from the 'harbor facing' room, there are a few short buildings in to the sides of the hotel that may be in your view.

However, there were some negative sides to our stay. Our room was right around the corner from the elevator banks, so we got to hear some especially rowdy New Years' Eve revelers. Additionally, I was expecting the lobby of the hotel to be relaxed and classy, with maybe some live music, but thanks to RumBa, the lobby-level bar, there was very loud, bass-y club music blasting in the lobby area all night, which led us to leave the hotel for a more quiet atmosphere for the countdown.

Additionally, we ordered room service twice. Both times, the food was delivered promptly (once at night, once in the morning). I'd give the food itself 3.5/5 stars, but the kitchen staff graciously made my boyfriend a cocktail, even though it was not on their menu, which was much appreciated.

Overall, the room was not worth the amount we paid for it. Having been to InterContinentals in other cities, I was expecting a more sophisticated atmosphere, especially given the price tag.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
InterConBos, General Manager at InterContinental Boston, responded to this reviewResponded 23 January 2014

Dear amandahay,

Needless to say, I’m disappointed to read of your recent stay with us. The quality of your room service food was not up to our standards and I wish that we were able to leave you with a better impression. Typically our lobby and bar area are more relaxed as you mentioned, however New Year’s Eve is always a popular evening and brings a different vibe to the hotel; I am sorry for any inconvenience this may have caused you. Thank you for providing your candid feedback, I hope you will consider staying with us again in the future.

Reviewed 21 January 2014

My wife and I both had our respective holiday parties in Boston on a Friday night. My company was holding our event at a steak house right on Atlantic Ave in downtown Boston. We live a ways out of the city so we decided to get a room for the night. We chose The Intercontinental at first simply because of its proximity to my company's event (across the street). After staying there I can tell you that I won't be staying anywhere else in Boston! The immediate things that come to my mind when I think of the Intercontinental are the service, the room, the location and the atmosphere. The service was incredible; we checked in early before the parties to freshened up a bit. They took our bags up quickly and efficiently and seemed genuinely happy we were there to stay with them. With our room (which I was unaware of) we got drinks in the lounge downstairs and free breakfast / brunch. The accommodations themselves were fantastic, clean room, soft sheets, immaculate bathroom, and it smelled amazing. I'm a big fan of rooms that smell fresh when you enter them. I'm the kind of person that, right off the bat, if there is stale air or some sort of odor (even if it isn’t necessarily off putting) I think my stay is off on the wrong foot. And although this may seem abstract, this room had fresh air. It was conveniently located in Boston not only to the attractions and our parties, but also to the highway to get home. I highly recommend anyone staying in / around downtown Boston to consider the polite staff, beautiful rooms, superior atmosphere and unbeatable location of The Intercontinental.

1  Thank Sam D

Dear Sam D,

Thank you for such a wonderful review! Your sentiment reflects exactly the way we hope each and every guest feels after staying at InterContinental Boston. We pride ourselves on providing top notch service which I thank you for recognizing; the fresh scent and cleanliness of our rooms are a credit to the housekeeping team and I will be sure to share your comments with them as well. We hope to welcome you back again very soon and are thrilled to be your first choice hotel in Boston!

All the best,

Reviewed 20 January 2014

My girlfriend and I decided to do a staycation at the Intercontinental Boston a couple weeks before New Years Eve(we live in town). Our goal was to catch the fireworks over the bay, but we actually couldn't see anything from our room (even though we had a good view of Fort Point channel). However, this wasn't too problematic as the InterContinental is <5 minute walk to Boston Harbor Hotel, where we had a great view of the fireworks display.

As far as the InterContinental itself, our room was superb and the bathroom was spacious and comfortable, however I do have one complaint. This may have just been because it was NYE,but the bar downstairs was extremely loud and noisy. The hotel brought in a DJ, and packed the place with people welcoming in the new year, but I understand that it's probably a pretty profitable night for them and probably doesn't happen too often so I can't complain too much.

We ordered room service for breakfast which was pretty average. Perhaps I'm not used to hotel pricing, but for the amount of money we paid for our meal I was really expecting quite a bit higher quality food.

Overall, I would definitely stay here again if I could afford it, but it's a higher end hotel with a higher end price tag, just keep that in mind.

Room Tip: Look over the Fort Point Channel, it's a very romantic view.
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
InterConBos, General Manager at InterContinental Boston, responded to this reviewResponded 22 January 2014

Dear Matthew M,

Thank you for your review of InterContinental Boston, and for choosing our hotel to celebrate the New Year! I’m glad you were able to view the fireworks from just down the street; it is nice to be so close to the views. You are correct that the noise level in the lobby and bar was escalated due to the holiday – I hope this did not inconvenience you or your girlfriend too much. Furthermore, I am very sorry to hear that you were disappointed with the room service food quality; I have addressed this with the chef and his staff and we truly regret that you felt this way. Please do not hesitate to reach out to me directly on the occasion of your next stay so that I may personally ensure that we exceed your expectations.

Reviewed 20 January 2014

We had a truly amazing stay!! The staff was SO helpful (I was travelling with a lady in a wheelchair) and nothing was too much trouble. Charles in the lounge couldn't have been nicer and really made us feel at home! Our room was really spacious and the bed super cosy!! The spa is really good too - and accommodating! Definitely the only place i'll be staying next time I'm in Boston!

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 19 January 2014

Favorite city in the world, favorite Intercontinental Hotel. Right on the water, 2 blocks from 2 of the best seafood places in Boston (James Hook and Barking Crab). Rooms are excellent and the views are decent as well. Definitely get the intercontinental breakfast package, its worth it. Great walking and biking city, grab a bike off the hubway and head to the north end for some Mike's.

Room Tip: The fire station on the other side of the park can be a bit noisy, get a water view room if this mig...
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple

Dear Mike B,

It is such a pleasure to read your review, thank you for taking the time to share your experiences here with us. Thank you for your loyalty to InterContinental Boston, we hope to see you again soon!

Reviewed 19 January 2014

We stayed for only one night at this hotel, but the service and room provided was enough to make me regret not staying for a lot more time. The InterContinental is well located and provided a 5 star service since we arrived. The room was really big, modern with nice views from our large windows. The room was also quite clean. The location of the hotel close to subway stops is a big plus. Would definitely stay at this hotel again and will recommend to anyone going to Boston.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple