“Beautiful property...uncomfortable mattress”

InterContinental Boston
Ranked #4 of 84 Hotels in Boston
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed 31 March 2014

Whenever possible, I stay at the Intercontinental. This was my first trip to Boston, and with the exception of the mattress, I was not disappointed. My husband and I were upgraded to a Junior Suite (we are Ambassador members), and the service and amenities were wonderful. The only negative part of our stay was the mattress...it was extremely uncomfortable (which I have not experienced at other Intercontinental properties). Hopefully, our mattress was not a true representation of other mattresses at this location.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
InterConBos, General Manager at InterContinental Boston, responded to this reviewResponded 2 April 2014

Dear Sarah F,

Thank you for your loyalty to our brand! I regret that the mattress was a disappointment and should this ever be an issue again please do not hesitate to contact our housekeeping department for alternative bedding to amend this. We are currently in the process of upgrading our mattresses in many of the guestrooms and converting all double bedded rooms to queen beds. I do hope you will stay with us again and find it to be 5-star across the board.

Reviewed 31 March 2014

I am sad to say that we only stayed one night in order to take our son to a few Boston attractions for his birthday. Location, location, location is one reason I will return. Additionally, the bathroom was phenomenal, rivaling some I have experienced in Newport B&Bs. Glad I bought some bath bombs from Lush. The service was excellent (from front desk to valet to room service), very friendly/welcoming, and the burger we had at dinner was one of the best I've ever had. Keurig in the room was very convenient. Is it weird to say that the tap water was good? I was shocked to find that it was clear tasting which isn't the norm at most hotels. Really the overall design and amenities of this hotel make it very appealing.

So to get nit-picky, I wish the doubles were queens. And the parking is expensive, so if that is an issue use public transportation to get into the city.
And the location of the pool was odd. The spa entrance is very small, and then the walk to the pool is through a very well appointed work-out area. Tucked away in the back is a lap pool, not very deep which is great for kids, but it doesn't take many families w/children to fill the pool or the limited decking/seating around it. (This seemed to deter some guests sans children). And the spa staff was less than helpful when they neglected to ask if we needed towels at the desk as we signed in. I was also shocked and disgusted at how many guest left their wet towels on the ground or in chairs upon leaving, rather than using the provided baskets placed around the pool. Maybe that is why the spa staff likes to make the guests play "where can I find the towels".

Didn't have breakfast because it seemed over-priced. Grabbed some eats at the nearby Panera. (But the dinner we got through room service was delicious!)

Room Tip: While my son enjoyed watching the fire engines on the city side, I would only pay extra for a water...
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 28 March 2014

Stayed for two nights. Had a harbor view suite, which was among the most comfortable rooms I have ever stayed in. The room was in impeccable condition, the HVAC was perfect AND silent, the wifi was speedy, and the bed was very comfortable. I wish I did not have to work while there - I would have loved to just lounge in the room and read. The gym and pool are excellent, with lots of room to workout and not bump into people. No need to leave the hotel for dinner either, the rum and vodka bar had terrific small plates at good prices. I'll be back to Boston several times over the next few months and will look no further than this hotel for lodging. Just brilliant, can't wait to head back.

Room Tip: Harbor views are fun.
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank Pb650

Dear Pb650,

Thank you for taking the time to review your recent stay with us. Our housekeeping team was happy to hear your compliments of the room cleanliness when I shared this with them at their morning meeting! I’m glad you also enjoyed our work-out facilities and unique restaurant concepts; we are very happy that you’ll be returning in the upcoming months and look forward to welcoming you back!

Reviewed 26 March 2014

Two night business trip. Check-in, concierge, restaurant, bell-boy .... all friendly and very helpful. Good advice given at restaurant, and good walking tour drawn out on map by concierge. Pool and gym great.

Stayed: March 2014, travelled on business
InterConBos, General Manager at InterContinental Boston, responded to this reviewResponded 1 April 2014

Dear Stuart F,

On behalf of our entire team, thank you for the great review. I'm very glad that you enjoyed so many of the offerings in our hotel and we are happy to receive such positive and consistent feedback. I hope you’ll visit us again in to enjoy the walking tour in even warmer weather next time!

Reviewed 26 March 2014 via mobile

Thank you Adam for taking several of my calls for small requests for additional amenities, etc. Umberto and Mohamed the bellhop were very pleasant and professional. Cannot remember the name of the GSA who checked us in but she was very pleasant. Enjoyed RumBa! Best soaking tub ever (room 651) - loved being able to enjoy my complimentary Keurig coffee and read a book overlooking the harbor. Nice added touch: bathroom amenities, plush pillows, chaise lounge. Would stay and recommend again....& this is coming from a "hotel person". Thumbs up!

Stayed: March 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank ilovecarolina38
InterConBos, General Manager at InterContinental Boston, responded to this reviewResponded 27 March 2014

Dear ilovecarolina38,

On behalf of our entire team, thank you for the outstanding review. Accommodating any request, big or small, is what we are here for and we appreciate that you took the time to share your positive experience with us. The soaking tub certainly is a wonderful feature in all of our guestrooms; I’m thrilled you enjoyed this and many other amenities our hotel has to offer. We hope to see you in Boston again soon!

Reviewed 24 March 2014

Everything you want and expect from a first class hotel experience an then some - didn't miss a beat from check-in to check out.

We chose the Intercontinental Boston for this year's birthday and we were happy with our choice every minute of the day as I celebrated a pampering, relaxing, romantic, delicious birthday in the refined and subdued elegance of the Intercontinental Boston.

No expense has been spared in the renovation of the public spaces and guest rooms (even the guestroom doors are gorgeous! The bathroom is awash in marble with separate tub and shower, and unique tatami windows that slide open to welcome the sunlight awash from the bedroom or close for privacy) .

Staff couldn't have been more congenial - making me feel like a special guest on a day special to me. Not only was my request honored for an early check-in (to accommodate an early afternoon facial in their tranquil, luxurious spa), but reservations were upgraded upon learning of our special celebration. Then a little while after checking into our quietly sophisticated surroundings, we were surprised with a couple of glasses of champagne and a slice of luscious chocolate cake sitting on Happy Birthday splashed in chocolate across a pristine platter. Thank you Evan and Ophelia!

The spa is an experience to be relished. From the soft lighting, new age music and restful decor to the comfort of the tranquil waiting area - - no detail has been overlooked. Don't miss the steam rooms. And if you skip the spa (but why would you?), plan to work out in the state-of-the-art fitness room and ...don't forget your bathing suit - you'll wanna take a dip in the eternal pool.

Dinner at Miel was perfectly prepared, beautifully presented and absolutely delicious! This is a first rate restaurant that deserves to be better known and appreciated!

Convenient to Northeastern University; the Italian cuisine and pastries of the North End; a short walk to Faneuil Hall's shops and restaurants, and Boston's truly wonderful Aquarium (don't miss the penguins!) - and including with brick walking paths around the hotel along the waterfront - the location is fabulous.

Planning a night or more in Boston? You deserve the Intercontinental!

Room Tip: If you like soft squishy pillows, bring one from home. The pillows - tho clearly high quality - are...
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank kate g
Reviewed 24 March 2014

My son and I were visiting colleges in the Boston area on March 20 and stayed overnight at the Intercontinental Boston. My husband is a frequent guest at the hotel and enjoys Ambassador status. Thus, we were able to use the Club InterContinental. The atmosphere and the food were terrific. We received outstanding service by Charles Strong in the lounge. He was so warm, friendly and accommodating. The InterContinental is fortunate to have such a wonderful employee.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled with family
InterConBos, General Manager at InterContinental Boston, responded to this reviewResponded 25 March 2014

Dear Bonnie H,

It is so great to read your review, thank you for your compliments and positive feedback! I hope you and your son had some successful college visits and I’m thrilled that our team helped to make it such a great stay while you were here. It’s always a pleasure to welcome the families of our regular guests and ambassadors; we hope you’ll join us again soon.