“Wonderful rooms, view and staff”

InterContinental Boston
Ranked #6 of 83 Hotels in Boston
GreenLeadersGold level
Stamford, Connecticut
“Wonderful rooms, view and staff”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 April 2014

Magnificent Boston Marathon weekend. Security was high and the city was swarming with runners and tourists. All was calm and lovely at the Intercontinental Boston. Furnishing of the room and bath was beautiful. View out over the Children's Museum and the Boston Tea Party ships was a delight at night and as the sun came up.

Room Tip: We were on 7th floor on a corner with cityscape view and it was lovely.
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank Carolyn A
InterConBos, General Manager at InterContinental Boston, responded to this review, 25 April 2014
Dear Carolyn A,

Thank you very much for the wonderful review. It was our top priority to ensure that our guests felt safe and secure throughout the busy marathon weekend and I am very happy to hear that this was reflected upon your stay. We appreciate your compliments of our top notch facilities and hope to welcome you back again very soon!

Ian.Pullan@ihg.com

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (828)
  • Greek first
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Thai first
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 April 2014

Over the busy holiday weekend (Easter and Marathon Monday) I visited this hotel for spa services and a bachelorette party. The services were phenomenal. Parking was so easy, hotel staff was wonderful, my facial was one of the best I have ever had, and the hotel is beautiful. The hotel is in a great location, by the water, surrounded by great restaurants, close to Quincy Market and the North End. I will be back!

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with friends
Boston, Massachusetts, United States
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 April 2014

Last weekend I stayed at the intercont with a big group of girls for my sister-in-law's bachelorette party. It was fantastic! The room was beautiful, the service was excellent, and we took over the spa! Everyone loved their treatments and Kim, the Spa manager was super helpful in organizing all the appointments with me ahead of time. She also made a gift bag for the bride with several super nice, organic products they sell at the Spa. I live in Boston but it is ALWAYS a treat to spend time at the Intercont.

Room Tip: Make sure you get a water view.
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled with friends
London
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 April 2014 via mobile

The standard of service is appalling. Empty restaurant at lunchtime, staff everywhere but I still had to wait half an hour before anyone approached me for an order. Equally, I waited for more than 30 minutes at the concierge desk, staff walking past but no one could be bothered to approach me. I eventually had to go and knock on doors to find someone to assist. The safe was broken in the room - with everything locked inside. An hour delay to get it fixed meant that I missed an important meeting, one of the reasons that I had travelled to Boston in the first place. Room while clean, was very noisy with bins and deliveries from the very early hours. Overpriced and wouldn't return.

Stayed April 2014, travelled on business
2 Thank Elma40
InterConBos, General Manager at InterContinental Boston, responded to this review, 23 April 2014
Dear Elma40,

It is quite a disappointment to read your review. We hold our team to very high service standards and I am disheartened to know that your experience has not reflected this. As indicated by the follow up from our team in an attempt to right some of your concerns, I hope that you will give us the chance to regain your faith in our hotel; we truly care about each and every one of our guests and take your comments very seriously. The wait time you experienced for both our restaurant staff and concierge are not indicative of our service levels, and I am very sorry that the broken safe caused such a delay. Please do not hesitate to contact me directly if there is anything at all I can do to personally amend this situation.

Austin, Texas
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 April 2014

I recently spent a night at the Intercontinental Boston on a quick stopover through Boston.

First, let me review the actual hotel. Boston is a bit odd for finding the "perfect location" - it seems that no matter where your hotel is, it's never where you kind of wish it was. This is a great location if you're a little more touristy and want to be near all the major sights, and within walking distance of the North End, etc.

The rooms are a bit strange, so it's worth noting their odd design. The biggest "feature" which also created the biggest issue for me was the glass panel that separates the bathroom from the bedroom. The only natural light in the bathroom comes from these panels (we all know that hotel bathrooms rarely if ever have windows). The problem is that these sliding panels don't provide total privacy - they have a gap underneath them that can be seen through when in the bedroom, and they don't stop any wandering sounds between the spaces - so don't intend to use your bathroom if you have guests or friends stopping by your room. Second, the only way to open the panels is to either step on the bed, or step into the bathtub - neither of which are especially appealing. There is also a chaise lounge at the foot of the bed, which, while convenient in some aspects can be a little strange as you constantly have to walk around it, or for me, as a taller person, kept kicking it when in bed.

Now - on to the "Buyer Beware" portion. I booked a city-side king room at what I would consider a very high price - especially given other properties in Boston. When I checked in, I was placed in a room that faced another room - I could literally see into the other room, and the people in that room could see me. I didn't feel that I was placed into the correct room, so I went to the front desk. I was told that I was booked into a "standard" room, and the hotel didn't have any record of my upgraded "City-side" room. Luckily, I was able to go back to my room and get the printed paperwork. When I returned to the front desk, the woman who had previously been helping me made eye contact with me before deciding to hide in the back room (never saw her again). The gentlemen at the desk said that it looked as if I was in the incorrect room and said he would gladly move me.

Here is my big issue with this hotel: When I booked my room, I did so at the "Best Flexible" rate - meaning that my room was fully 100% cancelable on the day I arrived. When I went to check my reservation, I decided to check the room availability (as I wasn't sure if I had booked a standard room or a city-side room) and was shocked to see that at 4pm on the day I checked in, the "Best Flexible" rate for my room was $50/night cheaper. I checked with the hotel, and they told me that the best rates were based on availability and occupancy. They also told me the hotel was at a 96% occupancy rate that evening. I can't figure out why when the hotel is nearly full that the rate drops by $50/night. I didn't really get any apology from the front desk, though they told me they would make an adjustment as a courtesy since I had to change rooms. On checkout, I found that I was credited $15.

What's the moral of the story? If you're going to book this hotel, do so at a flexible rate, and then check the morning of, cancel your reservation and re-book at a lower rate. From a consumer's standpoint, it doesn't make for good business.

I would encourage others to check other properties in Boston - especially those in Copley square - the Intercontinental doesn't really seem to have a strong focus on customer satisfaction - not what I would have expected from their chain as I have stayed in many others and been quite happy.

Room Tip: Make sure you get the room you paid for - city-side is supposed to apparently be an upgrade from &qu...
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
Dear NewYorkStrider,

I regret that your stopover in Boston was not a more enjoyable one at our hotel. We do understand that the sliding window feature of our guest rooms is not ideal for all our guests and I’m sorry to hear that it had such a negative impact on your stay. Additionally, the chaise lounge is certainly not meant to be bothersome and we would be happy to have our housekeeping team remove this upon request.

I am also very sorry for the issues surrounding your room type and rate. We constantly monitor rates and they are frequently updated and changed in accordance with fluctuations in the market and the rise and fall of our current and projected occupancy. If you found a lower rate for your room somewhere we are more than happy to adjust it accordingly and I'm sorry this didn't happen when you mentioned it to our front desk team. I have spoken with the appropriate managers to ensure this situation does not repeat itself.

We would appreciate the opportunity to regain your faith in our hotel and the IHG brand; we certainly care very much for each and every guys and I regret that your impression was anything different. Please do not hesitate to contact me directly if I may personally assist with a future reservation and see to it that you have the experience which we pride ourselves on providing for our guests.

Farmington Hills, Michigan
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 April 2014

My son was married here almost 6 years ago - all was lovely, from the photos taken downstairs by the river to the actual wedding venue to the rooms. My daughter in law wanted to get married in the round, and attendees were around their flowered chuppah (wedding canopy) on all sides.It was really beautiful and an incredibly special night!

Room Tip: The rooms are a bit small, but elegant. I would get one on a side away from the early morning sun.
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled with family
Worcester, Massachusetts
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 April 2014

InterContinental Boston is a spectacular hotel!

I stayed (again!) for a night in March with several friends to celebrate a special event. The hotel was amazing! I reached out to Guest Services and Concierge prior to my arrival with several special requests and the hotel accommodated all the requests with ease! Our suite was upgraded, based on Ambassador Status, to an amazing top-floor suite. Our arrival was flawless; the Doorman, Bellman, and Guest Services staff who checked us in were all friendly and so very gracious. Our suite was breathtaking; it was large, spacious, and immaculately cleaned. The Concierge staff were kind enough to arrange dinner reservations for our party at a local restaurant where we received the best possible treatment. The Food & Beverage Team delivered all the special amenities that I had requested; they were delicious and wonderfully presented. The housekeeping team “turned down” the suite while we were at dinner which was a very nice touch.

I had worked with the Banquets and Catering Department to arrange a special “in suite breakfast buffet” for my friends and I. The planning process was simple and the staff were more than willing to help. They assisted with menu selections and budget planning, as well as provided guidance on delivery time and set-up. The in-room breakfast buffet was executed perfectly! It was set-up and deliver right on time, wonderfully presented, and the food was delicious!
The staff were aware that we were celebrating a special event and made it even more special every chance they got. They were attentive and kind and we felt very well looked after. Anything we wanted or needed at any point during the stay was done quickly and without question.

I cannot say enough about this hotel. It is a wonderful example of what an InterContinental Hotel should be! I have stayed here many times over the last couple of years for many reasons; in fact, it is the ONLY hotel I stay at in Boston because I know it is among the very best. The staff are always perfect and “on point” each stay. The rooms are gorgeous and the views are amazing. You cannot beat the location; it’s close to whatever you need or want via Taxi or walking or the “T” in Boston.

If you need a hotel in Boston, for a special event or just a typical stay, InterContinental Boston is definitely where you should stay!

Room Tip: Ask for a waterview guest room or suite
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank Fly_away_11
Dear Fly_away_11,

We cannot thank you enough for the outstanding review. It is wonderful to receive your positive feedback and know that our entire team played such a large role in helping to make your stay so wonderful. We look forward to welcoming you back again in the future for another perfect visit!