“Fantastic but EXPENSIVE ”

InterContinental Boston
Ranked #4 of 83 Hotels in Boston
GreenLeadersGold level
Cork
“Fantastic but EXPENSIVE ”
Reviewed 23 April 2014 via mobile

Stayed here for one night. Paid a very high price as it was the marathon weekend but it was the cheapest we could get in Boston for the night. Sam at the front desk was very helpful and I think we were given an upgrade as we had a water view. Room was gorgeous and spacious. Didn't really like the partition between the bedroom and bathroom and it meant the if someone put on the bathroom light in the middle of the night it lit up the whole room. You pay for everything in the hotel, even wifi in your room and it doesn't come cheap. Food prices are also very high and so we had breakfast in a local cafe ( also recommended by the front staff). Reading other reviews here I think we were lucky with the room we got. If we had paid the same money for a lesser room then I probably would have not enjoyed it as much and felt it was completely over priced. Be sure you know what type of room you are getting

Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank paulspoon

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (880)
  • Greek first
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Thai first
New City, New York
Reviewed 23 April 2014

While I'm sure tourists do stay here, when I was there the place seemed to be focused on being a business hotel. Check in and out was a breeze. Had a nice room on one of the top floors with a sideway view of where the Boston Tea Party happened. The bathroom was surprisingly spacious. As I wasn't there long enough to check out the surroundings, it seemed like the area died down after business hours. But it is a nice short walk from the Amtrak station. While I'm not sure if I would stay here if I was sightseeing with my family, I had no qualms about staying here for work.

Stayed February 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank rockland_ta
InterConBos, General Manager at InterContinental Boston, responded to this review, 25 April 2014
Dear rockland_ta,

Many thanks for your review; your feedback is duly noted and I regret that we left you with the impression that we are primarily for business travelers. While our proximity to the Financial District does provide the convenience for these visitors, we pride ourselves in equally catering to our leisure guests! Our top-notch concierge team is extremely knowledgeable about all of the unique attractions that Boston has to offer (many of which are right in our neighborhood), and they are second to none at mapping out a perfect day in the city! Additionally, we offer a variety of services and activates in the hotel for both adults and children to enjoy and take advantage of our waterfront location. We will soon be publishing our Summer Activities Guide which is placed in all guest rooms and suggests daily events throughout the hotel for our guests to partake in. I do hope you will allow us the opportunity to welcome you back again in the future whether for business or pleasure!

Stamford, Connecticut
Reviewed 23 April 2014

Magnificent Boston Marathon weekend. Security was high and the city was swarming with runners and tourists. All was calm and lovely at the Intercontinental Boston. Furnishing of the room and bath was beautiful. View out over the Children's Museum and the Boston Tea Party ships was a delight at night and as the sun came up.

Room Tip: We were on 7th floor on a corner with cityscape view and it was lovely.
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank Carolyn A
Dear Carolyn A,

Thank you very much for the wonderful review. It was our top priority to ensure that our guests felt safe and secure throughout the busy marathon weekend and I am very happy to hear that this was reflected upon your stay. We appreciate your compliments of our top notch facilities and hope to welcome you back again very soon!

Reviewed 23 April 2014

Over the busy holiday weekend (Easter and Marathon Monday) I visited this hotel for spa services and a bachelorette party. The services were phenomenal. Parking was so easy, hotel staff was wonderful, my facial was one of the best I have ever had, and the hotel is beautiful. The hotel is in a great location, by the water, surrounded by great restaurants, close to Quincy Market and the North End. I will be back!

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with friends
Boston, Massachusetts, United States
Reviewed 23 April 2014

Last weekend I stayed at the intercont with a big group of girls for my sister-in-law's bachelorette party. It was fantastic! The room was beautiful, the service was excellent, and we took over the spa! Everyone loved their treatments and Kim, the Spa manager was super helpful in organizing all the appointments with me ahead of time. She also made a gift bag for the bride with several super nice, organic products they sell at the Spa. I live in Boston but it is ALWAYS a treat to spend time at the Intercont.

Room Tip: Make sure you get a water view.
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled with friends
London
Reviewed 22 April 2014 via mobile

The standard of service is appalling. Empty restaurant at lunchtime, staff everywhere but I still had to wait half an hour before anyone approached me for an order. Equally, I waited for more than 30 minutes at the concierge desk, staff walking past but no one could be bothered to approach me. I eventually had to go and knock on doors to find someone to assist. The safe was broken in the room - with everything locked inside. An hour delay to get it fixed meant that I missed an important meeting, one of the reasons that I had travelled to Boston in the first place. Room while clean, was very noisy with bins and deliveries from the very early hours. Overpriced and wouldn't return.

Stayed April 2014, travelled on business
2 Thank Elma40
InterConBos, General Manager at InterContinental Boston, responded to this review, 23 April 2014
Dear Elma40,

It is quite a disappointment to read your review. We hold our team to very high service standards and I am disheartened to know that your experience has not reflected this. As indicated by the follow up from our team in an attempt to right some of your concerns, I hope that you will give us the chance to regain your faith in our hotel; we truly care about each and every one of our guests and take your comments very seriously. The wait time you experienced for both our restaurant staff and concierge are not indicative of our service levels, and I am very sorry that the broken safe caused such a delay. Please do not hesitate to contact me directly if there is anything at all I can do to personally amend this situation.

Austin, Texas
Reviewed 21 April 2014

I recently spent a night at the Intercontinental Boston on a quick stopover through Boston.

First, let me review the actual hotel. Boston is a bit odd for finding the "perfect location" - it seems that no matter where your hotel is, it's never where you kind of wish it was. This is a great location if you're a little more touristy and want to be near all the major sights, and within walking distance of the North End, etc.

The rooms are a bit strange, so it's worth noting their odd design. The biggest "feature" which also created the biggest issue for me was the glass panel that separates the bathroom from the bedroom. The only natural light in the bathroom comes from these panels (we all know that hotel bathrooms rarely if ever have windows). The problem is that these sliding panels don't provide total privacy - they have a gap underneath them that can be seen through when in the bedroom, and they don't stop any wandering sounds between the spaces - so don't intend to use your bathroom if you have guests or friends stopping by your room. Second, the only way to open the panels is to either step on the bed, or step into the bathtub - neither of which are especially appealing. There is also a chaise lounge at the foot of the bed, which, while convenient in some aspects can be a little strange as you constantly have to walk around it, or for me, as a taller person, kept kicking it when in bed.

Now - on to the "Buyer Beware" portion. I booked a city-side king room at what I would consider a very high price - especially given other properties in Boston. When I checked in, I was placed in a room that faced another room - I could literally see into the other room, and the people in that room could see me. I didn't feel that I was placed into the correct room, so I went to the front desk. I was told that I was booked into a "standard" room, and the hotel didn't have any record of my upgraded "City-side" room. Luckily, I was able to go back to my room and get the printed paperwork. When I returned to the front desk, the woman who had previously been helping me made eye contact with me before deciding to hide in the back room (never saw her again). The gentlemen at the desk said that it looked as if I was in the incorrect room and said he would gladly move me.

Here is my big issue with this hotel: When I booked my room, I did so at the "Best Flexible" rate - meaning that my room was fully 100% cancelable on the day I arrived. When I went to check my reservation, I decided to check the room availability (as I wasn't sure if I had booked a standard room or a city-side room) and was shocked to see that at 4pm on the day I checked in, the "Best Flexible" rate for my room was $50/night cheaper. I checked with the hotel, and they told me that the best rates were based on availability and occupancy. They also told me the hotel was at a 96% occupancy rate that evening. I can't figure out why when the hotel is nearly full that the rate drops by $50/night. I didn't really get any apology from the front desk, though they told me they would make an adjustment as a courtesy since I had to change rooms. On checkout, I found that I was credited $15.

What's the moral of the story? If you're going to book this hotel, do so at a flexible rate, and then check the morning of, cancel your reservation and re-book at a lower rate. From a consumer's standpoint, it doesn't make for good business.

I would encourage others to check other properties in Boston - especially those in Copley square - the Intercontinental doesn't really seem to have a strong focus on customer satisfaction - not what I would have expected from their chain as I have stayed in many others and been quite happy.

Room Tip: Make sure you get the room you paid for - city-side is supposed to apparently be an upgrade from &qu...
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
Dear NewYorkStrider,

I regret that your stopover in Boston was not a more enjoyable one at our hotel. We do understand that the sliding window feature of our guest rooms is not ideal for all our guests and I’m sorry to hear that it had such a negative impact on your stay. Additionally, the chaise lounge is certainly not meant to be bothersome and we would be happy to have our housekeeping team remove this upon request.

I am also very sorry for the issues surrounding your room type and rate. We constantly monitor rates and they are frequently updated and changed in accordance with fluctuations in the market and the rise and fall of our current and projected occupancy. If you found a lower rate for your room somewhere we are more than happy to adjust it accordingly and I'm sorry this didn't happen when you mentioned it to our front desk team. I have spoken with the appropriate managers to ensure this situation does not repeat itself.

We would appreciate the opportunity to regain your faith in our hotel and the IHG brand; we certainly care very much for each and every guys and I regret that your impression was anything different. Please do not hesitate to contact me directly if I may personally assist with a future reservation and see to it that you have the experience which we pride ourselves on providing for our guests.