“Wonderful hotel”

InterContinental Boston
Ranked #4 of 84 Hotels in Boston
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed 12 May 2014 via mobile

My husband and i stayed one night because we attended wedding. Room was wonderful. Everyone was nice and friendly. They allowed us to check in early at noon as we came in the day of the wedding. The location was perfect. Would go back and stay again, and longer.

Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family
InterConBos, General Manager at InterContinental Boston, responded to this reviewResponded 14 May 2014

Dear atlmom2,

Thank you very much for your great review of our hotel and staff. Provided that we have rooms available we are always pleased to provide an early check-in. Please do stay with us again soon, we look forward to welcoming you back!

Reviewed 12 May 2014

I decided to splash out on the InterContinental Boston for 1 night, expecting a great stay. The discounted rate was still expensive at $507 inc taxes for a Club InterContinental room, but assumed this is normal.

Two weeks before travelling I had a look at rates again, and found the same room at $100 cheaper! I contacted the hotel asking them to change my rate to the new lower rate and received a response from an Executive Assistant stating as a ‘courtesy’ they would amend my rate to $419? Hmm, ok.

Then checked my reservation to ensure it had been updated a few days later, and it had but to $419 excluding taxes, $479 in total. Are you serious?! Best available for the Club InterContinental was $410 inc taxes, and I’m being charged $479?! Daylight robbery!!!They have missed the point entirely. You can imagine my outrage. The idea of paying in advance is to lock in a special discounted rate not to pay more than the best available. I did manage to change my reservation online to $410 inc taxes.

To complicate matters, it seems at some point they decided to change my reservation personal details, and whilst I should have double checked on arrival it would seem my reservation is no longer linked to my Priority Club membership details, and possibly linked to someone in Bellevue, WA. Why alter my personal info?

Having now contacted Priority Club to ensure I get my points, they now require an invoice which was going to be sent by the receptionist to me after check out, but of course I never received it despite providing my e-mail address. I e-mailed the hotel yesterday asking for one, but 24 hrs. later still no reply. No doubt to obtain one is yet another ‘courtesy’ from an Exec Assistant.

As for the hotel, good location and looks great from the outside. Inside a little uninspiring and the only hospitality professionals seemed to be the concierge who actively engaged with guests whilst others show no interest. It does offer a good breakfast in the Club InterContinental, and seems to cater more for business than leisure guests.

All in all I am left feeling exhausted, angry and very disappointed for the price paid, more so with the pre and post reservation admin challenges. IC Boston you are most certainly not a great hotel that guests love.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled solo
3  Thank David M
InterConBos, General Manager at InterContinental Boston, responded to this reviewResponded 13 May 2014

Dear David M,

The advance purchase rates offered on our Friends & Family website are a percentage discount based off the rate at the time of booking. We do make it a point to clarify that these rates are pre-paid and non-refundable due to the discount offered at that time. I appreciate your frustration in seeing the lower rate later displayed and the exception made by our team brought your rate to the lowest refundable rate at that time. I regret that there was a misunderstanding regarding the taxes, as we do not quote rates inclusive of these charges.

I will review these procedures with our team to ensure that this occurrence does not repeat itself. I would be happy to discuss this matter further if you would like to contact me directly at the email address below.

Reviewed 9 May 2014

Stayed here for 2 nights while on business in Boston. Easy to get to from the airport (5 minute cab ride) and easy to walk to anywhere in the financial district. Also a short walk to Faneuil Hall area.

Rooms are very spacious and all have great views of the city. Would definitely stay here again.

1  Thank Franchise35
Reviewed 6 May 2014

The Intercontinental hotel chain is pretty consistent globally so you know it is going to be a nice upmarket hotel. Big open lobby that backs on to the river. A nice bar and all the other amenities you would expect. The rooms are luxurious in a contemporary style with the bathrooms having a window onto the main room so that you can have some natural light if you want it in there. Like most expensive hotels they do insist on charging for wifi which just bugs me, but apart from that there is nothing to complain about. On this occasion I ordered breakfast in the room. It was late and they were not only apologetic but they made it complimentary. A nice touch.

1  Thank Stephen C
InterConBos, General Manager at InterContinental Boston, responded to this reviewResponded 7 May 2014

Dear stephen c,

Thank you for choosing InterContinental Boston for your recent visit; it is our goal to remain consistent across the brand and I’m glad to know that you found our hotel to be so. Please know that we do offer complimentary internet for all IHG Rewards Club members and this program is free to join; our front desk team is always happy to create an account for any guest upon check-in or at any point during one’s stay – I’m very sorry if this was not communicated to you earlier! I hope you will stay with us again and be sure to take advantage of this program and its many additional benefits; thanks you for the great review and feedback.

All the best,

Reviewed 6 May 2014

We really enjoyed our stay here. It was for business, but the location makes it a great base for sight-seeing as well.

The hotel feels modern, cool and luxurious. The rooms are a great size and the bathroom has separate bath and shower which makes it so much more spacious. It was nice and quiet and although we didn't get one, I imagine some of the rooms have beautiful water views.

We ordered room service twice and though the portions were rather small, the food was delicious.

Very courteous staff and the restaurant in the hotel was good as well. Would recommend.

Stayed: March 2014, travelled on business

Dear GracemcCarter,

I am thrilled that you enjoyed your stay, even though it was for business purposes. You are absolutely correct about our location as a superb sight-seeing destination as well, and I hope you will stay with us again on your next leisure visit to Boston to take advantage of this. I have shared your comments with our Chef regarding room service portions, as we do take this feedback seriously in order to improve every guest’s experience. Thank you for taking the time to review InterContinental Boston and for the compliments of our staff and restaurant.

Reviewed 5 May 2014

Water views, fabulous rooms, service, great food, ambience and friendly staff, the Intercontinental Boston is the place to stay, while visiting Boston. We have stayed their and had guest stay who also rave about the hotel.
Dawn Morrissey, Irish Film Festival, Boston

Room Tip: Worth spending the money for a club room which includes breakfast, snacks, glass of wine in the even...