“Excellent hotel for business travelers and families alike”

InterContinental Boston
Ranked #4 of 84 Hotels in Boston
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed 13 May 2014

I booked this hotel blind through Hotwire for a staycation after an ear infection grounded a planned trip to San Francisco and it's since become an annual tradition for our family. The rooms are very nice with luxurious bathrooms, the indoor pool within the spa is very nice and there is a decent range of food options within the hotel with many more an easy walk away.

The hotel is in a great location, easy walking distance from many local attractions. We've used it as a home base for visits to the Children's Museum, Aquarium and Faneuil Hall, but my husband I have also attended some evening events at the hotel which have been equally enjoyable sans kiddos. In summer, there is some nice outdoor dining and a club right on fort point channel.

There is a decadent brunch buffet on the weekends - worth a splurge.

We'll be back again and again, especially since we've been able to triangulate to it on HotWire again and again and book it for under $200 on a weekend night...a steal worth the gamble of being sent to another 4 star + hotel on the waterfront with a pool.

Room Tip: Ask for a room facing Fort Point Channel to get a water view. City view rooms have good sound proof...
  • Stayed: June 2013, travelled with family

Reviewed 13 May 2014

My girlfriend and I stayed at the IC May 11-12th. I can honestly say it was the best hotel stay I've ever had! Our plane arrived in Boston at 8am. We arrived at the hotel around 9am. They were able to check us in! Couldn't believe it! We had a fab corner room city side. Other folks had issue with the proximity of the fire station, we did not - slept all night, not a sound. The beds were superb - clean, comfortable, perfect! The room was spotless, large, great views, and wonderful amenities! We had spa treatments in the afternoon, excellent! Upon retun from the spa a complentary bottle of bubbly was waiting for us - courtesy of Ophelia and Liz from the desk in celebration of our special getaway! We were more then impressed! Breakfast at the hotel resteraunt was wonderful both mornings. Service was prompt and consistent, food delicious. Jessica with concierge recommended Bricco in the north end for dinner. It was fabulous! All in all, wonderful stay, gorgeous facilities, exceptional service. Will we return? ABSOLUTELY!

Room Tip: Corner rooms are fabulous!
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank Gilda M
InterConBos, General Manager at InterContinental Boston, responded to this reviewResponded 14 May 2014

Dear Gilda M,

We are thrilled that you both had such a wonderful experience with us; thank you for sharing this wonderful feedback. We greatly appreciate your compliments of our entire team, and I will see to it that our staff is recognized for this. I hope your visit was the first of many; we look forward to welcoming you back again and again!

Reviewed 13 May 2014

This is a hotel that understands service, what a great job they did during my three day stay. From check in to check out they were great. The hotel is also in a good location, walkable to the convention center and to a number of the historical areas of town, with the Boston Tea Party Museum just out the back door along with a number of great restaurants.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled on business
InterConBos, General Manager at InterContinental Boston, responded to this reviewResponded 16 May 2014

Dear PlanoMark33,

We truly appreciate your kind words and praise of our hotel and staff. We take our service standards very seriously and I can’t tell you how pleased I am to know that your visit reflected this. Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback, please stay with us again on your next visit to Boston!

Reviewed 13 May 2014

Great location. Very friendly staff throughout the hotel and restaurants. Great bar scene too. Stayed here with my wife and she enjoyed the spa. Rooms are clean and spacious. Got a great rate on a Friday night

Room Tip: Corner room was huge
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 12 May 2014 via mobile

My husband and i stayed one night because we attended wedding. Room was wonderful. Everyone was nice and friendly. They allowed us to check in early at noon as we came in the day of the wedding. The location was perfect. Would go back and stay again, and longer.

Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family

Dear atlmom2,

Thank you very much for your great review of our hotel and staff. Provided that we have rooms available we are always pleased to provide an early check-in. Please do stay with us again soon, we look forward to welcoming you back!

Best regards,

Reviewed 12 May 2014

I decided to splash out on the InterContinental Boston for 1 night, expecting a great stay. The discounted rate was still expensive at $507 inc taxes for a Club InterContinental room, but assumed this is normal.

Two weeks before travelling I had a look at rates again, and found the same room at $100 cheaper! I contacted the hotel asking them to change my rate to the new lower rate and received a response from an Executive Assistant stating as a ‘courtesy’ they would amend my rate to $419? Hmm, ok.

Then checked my reservation to ensure it had been updated a few days later, and it had but to $419 excluding taxes, $479 in total. Are you serious?! Best available for the Club InterContinental was $410 inc taxes, and I’m being charged $479?! Daylight robbery!!!They have missed the point entirely. You can imagine my outrage. The idea of paying in advance is to lock in a special discounted rate not to pay more than the best available. I did manage to change my reservation online to $410 inc taxes.

To complicate matters, it seems at some point they decided to change my reservation personal details, and whilst I should have double checked on arrival it would seem my reservation is no longer linked to my Priority Club membership details, and possibly linked to someone in Bellevue, WA. Why alter my personal info?

Having now contacted Priority Club to ensure I get my points, they now require an invoice which was going to be sent by the receptionist to me after check out, but of course I never received it despite providing my e-mail address. I e-mailed the hotel yesterday asking for one, but 24 hrs. later still no reply. No doubt to obtain one is yet another ‘courtesy’ from an Exec Assistant.

As for the hotel, good location and looks great from the outside. Inside a little uninspiring and the only hospitality professionals seemed to be the concierge who actively engaged with guests whilst others show no interest. It does offer a good breakfast in the Club InterContinental, and seems to cater more for business than leisure guests.

All in all I am left feeling exhausted, angry and very disappointed for the price paid, more so with the pre and post reservation admin challenges. IC Boston you are most certainly not a great hotel that guests love.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled solo
3  Thank David M
InterConBos, General Manager at InterContinental Boston, responded to this reviewResponded 13 May 2014

Dear David M,

The advance purchase rates offered on our Friends & Family website are a percentage discount based off the rate at the time of booking. We do make it a point to clarify that these rates are pre-paid and non-refundable due to the discount offered at that time. I appreciate your frustration in seeing the lower rate later displayed and the exception made by our team brought your rate to the lowest refundable rate at that time. I regret that there was a misunderstanding regarding the taxes, as we do not quote rates inclusive of these charges.

I will review these procedures with our team to ensure that this occurrence does not repeat itself. I would be happy to discuss this matter further if you would like to contact me directly at the email address below.

Best regards,

Reviewed 9 May 2014

Stayed here for 2 nights while on business in Boston. Easy to get to from the airport (5 minute cab ride) and easy to walk to anywhere in the financial district. Also a short walk to Faneuil Hall area.

Rooms are very spacious and all have great views of the city. Would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled on business