“Very nice property with easy access to South Station”

InterContinental Boston
Ranked #3 of 83 Hotels in Boston
GreenLeadersGold level
Lexington, KY
“Very nice property with easy access to South Station”
Reviewed 28 May 2014

The rooms are very well appointed! High end materials used throughout, and lots of little touches that made my stay very pleasant. HUGE bathroom with full sized soaking tub and glass enclosed shower. There are sliding half doors that open up between the bathroom and the bedroom area, making the room feel large, and letting in lots of natural light. There are outlets everywhere you need them, light switches for the whole room controlled at the bedside, and wonderful reading lights at the bedside. The closet had a light that came on automatically when you opened the door. The desk area was large and modern, and faced the window, making for an extremely comfortable place to get some work done.

It's 2 blocks to the red line/silver line and Amtrak trains at South Station or a 10-15 min. walk to the new convention center, making .this a very convent location for business stays in Boston

Room Tip: Although it sounds appealing to have a waterfront room, the view of the city skyline from the rooms...
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled on business

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (896)
  • Greek first
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Thai first
Braintree, MA
Reviewed 28 May 2014

My wife and I stayed at the Intercontinental for a quick get away night. The hotel guest services were friendly and helpful. The room was small but very modern by Boston standards and we enjoyed a nice view of the greenway in front of the hotel. The window from the bathroom to the bedroom is odd but gave the room a uniqueness not found at other hotels. It gave my wife and I a good laugh. My only complaint was that there is no room in the refrigerator for any food or beverage items other than the items that the hotel wants you to take that they will charge you for. We had a small leftover bag from dinner and after placing it in the refrigerator, I must have moved some items. We were charged fees for items we didn't consume. That and a fee for internet access sort of put me off. It was nice to stay at a more modern type hotel in historic Boston but we probably won't go back. The breakfast was good but pricey.

Room Tip: Request a water view for beautiful views of Boston Harbor.
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank FamilyGuy02184
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed 28 May 2014

If you are traveling on business in the financial district of Boston, the Intercontinental is a very nice hotel. I have stayed there on several occasions. On once occasion, I was upgraded to a huge and amazing suite. Needless to say, that was a great experience. On another occassion, despite paying nearly $500, my room had two twin beds - which is not ideal.

The final time, I received the room I paid for, and I thought the room was par for what you would expect for a hotel of this caliber - i.e., very nice.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank garveyc
InterConBos, General Manager at InterContinental Boston, responded to this review, 29 May 2014
Dear garveyc,

Thank you for continuing to stay with us upon your visits to Boston. We make it a point to provide upgrades when available and often times this has nothing to do with the rate booked. If you do have a preferred room type we are always happy to take requests; please let us know the next time you check-in!

We hope to see you again soon,

Huntington, New York
Reviewed 28 May 2014

This hotel has a very friendly staff , it's clean and rooms are quite big. There are a few restaurants on the premises. Make sure you go to the front desk and ask for coupons for a restaurant there called Miels. It's %15 off your bill. We had to switch rooms because we weren't happy with our view, once switched we had an awesome view of the city! The staff was quite accommodating when I had an issue with my five year old being charged ten dollars for a small box of frosted flakes. Quite good, just voice your requests and it shall be heard. :)). Swimming pool is great except showers are shared with the spa, so I had to bring two kids into the spa showers. Also, take a cab wherever you want to go, it's walking distance to children's museum and aquarium. Check out Sowa (Google it) on Sundays . It's great for families .

Room Tip: Ask for a Great view!
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
Boston, Massachusetts
Reviewed 27 May 2014

This is my first time staying in this hotel. When I arrived at the hotel with two huge suit cases, no bellmen came up to offer help in any kind. After struggled getting into the lobby, the Check-in was a breeze. I was informed that I got upgraded into the next category room, which was a premier king room, and the room is prepared already for me. Four PM late Check Out was offered as well, since I am a platinum ambassador member. I was a bit disappointed since my friend who was a gold ambassador, his stay at this property last time was offered to upgrade to a junior suite plus the lounge access. Perhaps the upgrade policy at this hotel has since changed? The room was fair and I had a good night of sleep. One thing that disappoint me was that as a platinum ambassador, I was entitled to a complimentary paid in-room movie, and the benefit was also mentioned on my welcome letter. However, when I was trying to use that benefit, I cannot find any paid movie on the TV. Phoned the front desk and concierge, they all informed me that the Intercontinental Boston no longer offer any in-room paid movies. If such thing has been canceled, why bother to mention it on the welcome letter? Can I understand it as a false-advertisment? When I was checking out, the line was super long. There was NO ambassador check-in/out counter as many other Intercontinental do have. I have to wait for a very long time to check out. Again, after check out I dragged my two heavy suitcases out, no one was offering any help, or even open the front door for me. I expect some kind of luggage help at an Intercontinental hotel! I know these are small things, but they can really influence my overall experience at this hotel. Don't get me wrong, I liked my stay overall, the location and room condition was superb, however, promising benefit such as one complementary in-room paid movie but not offering it, and ZERO luggage assistance really set back my willingness to stay in this hotel again.

Room Tip: Pick the side facing the ocean.
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled solo
1 Thank PabsZ
InterConBos, General Manager at InterContinental Boston, responded to this review, 28 May 2014
Dear PabsZ,

You are absolutely correct, it is not acceptable that there was no bellman upon your arrival; I sincerely apologize for this and can assure you we hold our team to higher standards. I have addressed this issue and thank you for bringing it to our attention.
While the upgrade for Ambassadors is guaranteed to be at least one level up from the room type booked, we always aim to provide the best room possible and often times we assign a higher level suite. Unfortunately a suite was most likely not available upon your most recent stay and therefore only one level upgrade was provided. Additionally, we do have an Ambassador check-in desk which is open 4-5 days per week; I am very sorry that this option was not available upon your arrival.
Regarding the in-room movie issue, I completely appreciate your frustration with the lack of options especially after the welcome note’s invitation. Last week we installed brand new 55-inch TV’s in all of our guest rooms, and one of the great features is that all movie channels are now included. I’m very sorry about your welcome letter’s misinformation and have changed this effective immediately.
Again, I appreciate your feedback and would like to ensure you that we take your comments very seriously. If you would like to discuss any of these matters further please do not hesitate to contact me directly at my email address below.

Baltimore, MD
Reviewed 27 May 2014

We just returned from a wonderful Memorial Day weekend in Boston. The hotel is gorgeous, the bed was very comfortable, and the staff was very helpful.

The only downfall to me was the room description and picture on the website. We had a water view room, which was very nice; however, it wasn't exactly what was on the website.

There was only one window, and the desk seemed a bit wider than is shown - not really something you could stand beside and look out the window easily. As a result, you did not have the advantage of a floor to ceiling window - only about half that.

There was a bulky dresser on one of the other walls (the one depicted to be floor-ceiling with nothing in front of it) which held the coffee maker and safe. The TV sat atop of it

There was the chaise at the end of the bed, but there was no way a second chair could have been placed in the corner.

Yes, a nice room, but certainly not as spacious or large as depicted.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
Dear Hazeleyez3,

First of all, thank you for the great comments – I am glad to hear you had a comfortable stay.
I would like to sincerely apologize for any misconception about the room size and layout. I will discuss this with our team to make sure the photos are accurately representing the correct room types. We appreciate your feedback and do take these comments seriously.

New York
Reviewed 26 May 2014

We stayed at the Intercontinental for the Run to Remember. Usually we stay near Copley Square, but the Intercon was much more convenient for the Seaport World Trade Center, where the race began.

We stayed on the Club floor and had a very comfortable room. Only strange thing is that it had a large window between the bathroom and the bedroom. I can't imagine who thought that would be a good idea.

Breakfast was very good on the Club floor, which is the top floor. However, the rest of the "club" experience was lacking. It did not have a separate check-in and check-out for Club rooms. At other hotels, that's a nice benefit that comes with paying the extra $$.

Surprisingly, there was no way to check out over the TV or internet. The check-out line was ridiculously long on Sunday morning and nobody seemed to care much. When we called down to the front desk, we got put on hold for 5 minutes before we gave up.

A nice comfortable hotel, but we likely won't be back. The lack of service left a bad taste, particularly when we paid extra for the Club floor.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank GLBrown
Dear GLBrown,

Thank you for choosing our hotel for the Run to Remember last weekend; I appreciate your feedback and while a separate check-out for Club level guests is not something that we currently provide, it is a fair suggestion which I will discuss with our team.

I’m pleased to know that you enjoyed the room accommodations and while we do understand the sliding window between the bathroom and bedroom is not ideal for everyone, I hope it did not impact your overall impression too much.

Last week we installed brand new 55-inch televisions in all of our guestrooms and therefore the check-out option is no longer available as it was on the old TV's. I hope that you were able to enjoy the great new television despite its lack of this feature.

We would appreciate the opportunity to welcome you back and ensure that you have a true 5-star experience with us. Please do not hesitate to contact me directly on a future visit to Boston so that I may personally assist with your reservations.