“Consistently good, but inconsistently great.”

InterContinental Boston
Ranked #4 of 83 Hotels in Boston
GreenLeadersGold level
New York City, New York
“Consistently good, but inconsistently great.”
Reviewed 25 July 2014

Whenever I stay in Boston, I make sure to stay at the InterContinental. There is no doubt this is a great hotel, with fantastic facilities, and (to my purposes, and probably for tourism too) conveniently located.
Half of the times I've stayed there I have had an incredibly good experience enhanced by my interactions with customer service, and the other half customer service has been a disappointment (but still, the hotel itself was great).

The hotel is relatively new, and very well maintained. The glass building with curved panels overlooking the bay is gorgeous (I know, I know. There's a taste for every flavour... well, I like it).
At least in every room (usually Suites) I've been everything has worked fantastically, with not a hitch. The furniture is of great quality, all the rooms seem pretty spacious, there tonnes of pillows and cushions, the mattresses are a bit on the softer side.
The bathroom design is a lot of fun (bathrooms are also large, covered in marble); in the rooms with one King bed the bathroom connects to the bedroom through a "window" that also serves as the bed's heardboard. The window can be closed with two sliding wooden panes. I have read this has upset some travelling couples who needed more privacy than that, but when I have taken romantic trips I have found it to be great.

And then there's Miel, their French-inspired inhouse restaurant. It's great. Even their late night room-service menu is delicious.
They also have a SPA. I've only used the massage service, so I haven't really seen the facilities. If you're willing to visit it, make sure you schedule an appointment first.
And after many visits I finally gave the Club lounge some use, and though far from the one at the InterContiental London Park Lane, it's still helpful to relax.

The issues I have had have been mostly regarding lack of organisation or communication between departments when a problem arises, and once an issue with housekeeping (which was obviously a once-in-a-lifetime kind of error, but it was unpleasant for us, and management's reaction was unsatisfactory at the time).
These are issues I am willing to overlook as long as they happen sporadically. Nobody is perfect. And the hotel is worth my money.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
7 Thank DanielKalen
InterConBos, General Manager at InterContinental Boston, responded to this review, 25 July 2014
Dear DanielKalen,

It is wonderful to read your review. We sincerely appreciate your loyalty and I am thrilled that we remain your go-to hotel in Boston. On behalf of my entire team, I am sorry for those times we were unsuccessful with problem resolution – this is something we take very seriously and I’m glad that it has been a rare occurrence. Though I hope they don't, should any issues ever arise in the future I encourage you to contact me directly; I would be more than happy to personally assist.
Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback, we look forward to continuing to welcome you back to InterContinental Boston.

Best regards,

Ian.Pullan@ihg.com

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (884)
  • Greek first
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Thai first
England
Reviewed 24 July 2014

We stayed for 1 night at the start of our New England holiday and returned for a 4 night stay at the end. From the moment the door was opened when we first arrived until the moment it closed behind us when we left, every member of staff we encountered was friendly ,efficient ,helpful and extremely professional.
Charles, David and Mohamed in the Club room went the extra mile to ensure that we enjoyed our stay making sure we knew where to visit and how to get there. Thank you to all of them, you are doing a great job.
The ladies on reception and Jessica on the Concierge desk could not have been more helpful and it was a delight to be asked each day where we had been and what had we done. They all were genuinely interested which we found unusual for a large city hotel.
It was a real pleasure talking with the Housekeeper who comes from Trinidad who was always so happy and helpful each day. Rooms were always imacculately maintained by the staff.
We would have no hesitation in staying here again and would recommend this hotel to anyone.
Thank you all.

Room Tip: Great views from upper floors
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
Dear LesleyDick,

What a great review, thank you for your outstanding feedback! I have shared your compliments with the Club and Concierge teams and everyone appreciates your recognition very much. Thank you for recommending us to fellow travelers – we are so glad you enjoyed your visits on both ends of your vacation.

Tomball
Reviewed 24 July 2014

The hotel is very nice with wonderful views from just about every direction. It is situated within walking distance of so many historical sites, you can spend a week doing nothing else. We were there for a business event, but with our children. We did not see much for the kids - it appeared much more upscale business-oriented. The outside bar is great, but closes too early. The inside bar is nice, and there is good service if you sit at the bar instead of at the tables.

The room was good and clean, the bed was comfortable and the bathroom was fantastic. Plenty of room, a nice tub, and a good sized stand-alone shower.

I don't recommend the restaurant Miel. We had basically no service here - I had to wave to get help with filling waters, etc. I had the lamb chops, which were fine, but the purple potatoes were so burned I couldn't break one of them in half. The wait staff seemed basically annoyed, bringing me edible potatoes, but without a word. We chose to eat offsite for the rest of the week.

Room service was prompt and courteous, but I found $6.00 for a glass of iced tea to be a bit absurd. With a 20% gratuity, two iced teas, one burger and a roast chicken plate was over $100.

The front desk staff, concierge, housekeeping and staff in general as you passed them in the halls were all excellent and helpful. My service rating was due solely to the restaurant.

My final assessment is it is a beautiful well positioned hotel with great rooms - being so close to so many restaurants, the issues with food are easy to mitigate.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled on business
InterConBos, General Manager at InterContinental Boston, responded to this review, 24 July 2014
Dear Bryan B,

Thank you very much for sharing your mostly positive experience! I do regret your impression of Miel and can assure you that we hold ourselves to much higher standards than what you described when it comes to both service and food quality. Our restaurant managers have addressed these points and while it is disappointing to read, we appreciate the candid feedback.
Despite the restaurant aspect of your visit, I’m very happy that you were pleased with the accommodations, facilities and staff. I hope that you will stay with us again and perhaps even give Miel another chance!

Reviewed 23 July 2014 via mobile

My husband and I stayed for one night in June. We live in MA but were staying in Boston for the night because we were going to an event. Besides the fact that it is extremely gorgeous from the second you walk in, the staff is very helpful and nice. We had a gorgeous water view. We ordered room service pretty late but it was delicious. They did mess up one part of the order but when I called they fixed it in no time and were very courteous. We will stay there any time we are in the city. And hopefully wherever we travel, there's an intercontinental that's just as nice!

Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
Dear Becca P,

We are so happy that you had a great stay with us. It’s always nice to welcome our local guests for a “staycation” – I’m glad you had an excuse to come into the city and stay over! Thank you for your positive review and I am so sorry about the room service mix-up – glad to know it was quickly resolved. We look forward to welcoming you back again.

Richmond, Virginia
Reviewed 22 July 2014

We stayed at the InterContinental for four nights over the 4th of July holiday weekend and had a wonderful time. The hotel was beautiful, updated, and exceptionally clean and it was in a perfect location - pretty convenient to just about anything we wanted to do.

Room: The room was very light and spacious and we had a great water view of the Tea Party Museum. There was ample seating throughout the room and the TV was large so you could see it wherever you were. The bed was pretty comfortable, maybe a little hard. The bathroom was gorgeous marble with a glass enclosed shower and a separate soaking tub which I definitely enjoyed. There was a weird window thing that slid open and opened up the entire bathroom but it didn't totally close the bathroom off because there was a gap at the bottom so that could have been really uncomfortable if it was a couple's first trip away together or something. Our phone didn't work and it was the only one in the room that had a button to call down to the concierge or front desk so that was a little frustrating at times.

Service: The service was pretty good. Housekeeping was great and very friendly; they were attentive and helpful in meeting our needs for the most part - though we did run out of toilet paper one day. I was a little surprised when we checked in that no one asked if we needed help with our bags. Our bags had wheels but still, I would expect a hotel of this caliber to at least offer.

Amenities: We got cocktails at Rumba a few times and the service at the bar was great - very attentive and the drinks were good. However the food (and we only got one thing each time) took forever to come and we weren't there during peak hours; it took so long in fact that one time they took it off of our bill without us even saying anything. The service at the tables was very slow so I'd definitely recommend sitting at the bar. There are a couple other restaurants and a really cute patio bar overlooking the water that we didn't have a chance to try out.

For a business hotel the "business center" is a joke. It's two computers in the middle of the gift shop so if you're looking for privacy or anything it's not really going meet those needs. It was also a little in the way if you're trying to look at some of the products and someone is sitting in the chairs blocking the display.

All in all it was an amazing time and I'd definitely recommend this hotel.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
InterConBos, General Manager at InterContinental Boston, responded to this review, 23 July 2014
Dear missmeliss,

On behalf of our entire team, thank you very much for providing your feedback and detailed review. We appreciate the compliments of our hotel and cleanliness and I’m glad you had a great 4th of July weekend.
I do apologize for the long wait times for the food at RumBa; our restaurant managers are aware and have addressed it with the kitchen. Aside from this I’m very glad to know that you enjoyed your cocktails and service in the bar. We truly appreciate you recommending us to other travelers and thank you for choosing InterContinental Boston for your visit to New England!

New York City, New York
Reviewed 22 July 2014

This is a very nice hotel.
Lobby: They had free newspapers, apples, and magazines in the lobby. It felt more geared towards business or adult couples. I was a mom travelling only with my 8 month old.

Bath: I asked for a crib when we arrived and when we got back to the room later that day, it was there with clean sheets and they had added a baby toiletries kit to the bathroom and a rubber ducky for the bath. The bath was separate from the big shower, which the baby loved because she happened to be terrified of the rain shower. The bath has a window which enables you to watch tv from the bathroom or keep an eye on your older kids if you need to. The bathroom was large enough that I could roll the crib inside it and use it as a playpen while I showered.

Room: They have a minifridge but it has those sensors for the minibar items, so I had to warn the front desk to be able to store the baby milk there. The TV was nice and the bed was so comfy. The view I had was of the roof which was pretty stupid, but I did enjoy seeing that they keep bees there and had the hive boxes. I lost a binkie under the bed and left the housecleaning group a note and they fished it our for me with a broom.

Facilities: The pool is in the gym and when we went we were the only people there. This was great because the baby had a ball.

Location: It is right on the water and I walked to the train station in a minute and all around downtown easily. It was close to the subways and across the water from the Children's Museum and tea ship. There is a nice park out front and a splash park a few blocks away. If you walk along the avenue, many of the hotels offer outdoor music for free. We saw a blues shower and some singer songwriters.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank Rugertemptress
Dear Rutgertemptress,

Thank you so much for sharing your experience with us and our readers; it is our pleasure to provide the crib and amenities for your baby, I am very glad to know that the accommodations worked out well, despite your impression upon check-in! For future reference, please know that our housekeeping team is always happy to provide a separate refrigerator for your personal belongings so you need not worry about moving the censored mini-bar items.
It is great to know that you enjoyed your visit and we hope you will stay with us again on your next trip to Boston!

Providence, Rhode Island
Reviewed 22 July 2014

This was our second visit to the Intercontinental Boston, this time for a working weekend in July. I arrived early and was allowed to check in with no trouble. Beautiful king room with all hookups needed for Wi-Fi - free for loyalty members who also receive a 2:00 PM check out. The staff is friendly and helpful. A big bowl of fresh fruit is kept well stocked on the front desk. The hotel is modern and stunning but at the same time seems intimate and low-key. Dinner at Miel on Friday and Saturday was outstanding. We enjoyed it on the terrace overlooking beautiful gardens and waterway. All wait staff members were excellent but waiter Stephen deserves special recognition. His knowledge of the menu and perfect suggestions for appetizers, entrees, and dessert prompted me to seek his advice for the whole meal on the second night of our stay. He did not disappoint! I'll never forget the Moules Frites - my two dining companions couldn't help but dig in to my succulent pile of tender mussels. We look forward to our next visit.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled on business
Dear 808foodfan,

It is so great to read your review, thank you for taking the time to provide your feedback. I can’t tell you how great it is to read all of your comments – from the fresh fruit at arrival and loyalty program recognition, to your dinner and service both nights in Miel. I hope you will return again soon for another great visit and of course, additional orders of Moules Frites!

All the best,