“Pleasant but not memorable”

InterContinental Boston
Ranked #4 of 84 Hotels in Boston
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed 24 August 2014

The Hotel is in a great area of Boston, really close to the habor and walking distances to restaurants, the Aquarium and even Fanheuil Hall. I enjoy learning about the transit system in cities I visit and was also able to access the T- subway system with ease from the location of the Hotel ( closest station being State Station approx 5-7 min walk from the Hotel.)

As we pulled up to the front of the Hotel at approx 3pm (located on the main road) the driveway was crammed and we were told to stay in our car so that the Valet attendants could move other cars. We stayed in the car for 5 mins - backing up/ moving forward inches to help the Valet attendants clear the driveway which I thought was a bit of a strange process. At the check-in desk it was busy but wait times were not too long and staff was friendly and answered all our questions. NOTE: I had called days prior to our arrival an mentioned it we were celebrating a birthday and gave the name of the person celebrating - none of which was acknowledged by staff at check-in.

We got to the room on the 5th floor and was pleasantly surprised everything was lovely we especially enjoyed the open concept of the bathroom and bedroom which is tastefully done with a large opening in the wall that can be closed by a sliding door. Room had a comfy King bed and additional sofa and chaise chair with a working desk, a Keurig coffee machine, and sensor mini bar. The view from our room was over top what seemed to be an event space so there was not much of a view but we didn't mind that too much. Only thing I looked for was something that acknowledged our Birthday celebration and still nothing was placed in the room, that was disappointing and a bit embarrassing as I had to triy to make the trip special in other ways.

We did not dine in the restaurant but asked Concierge for a recommendation and they gave us a few ( Pasta Beach and Nebo). On our last night we felt like having pizza delivery and called the Concierge to which we were surprised she told us Dominos to be the best option and no other options were given ( this being after she told us she was going to Google it).

The hotel has a great Spa and fitness centre with great Matrix equipment, weights/ balls, steam room, relaxation pool etc.

Last experience that left a bad taste in our mouth was the very last, upon checking out at the Front Desk we asked for our car to be brought up and she told us that they cannot bring it up but we can go down to garage and get it from there ourselves as " the street the hotel is on run One-way " making it difficult for Valet to bring the car up. ???? I left feeling very confused and expected a bit better than average for such a well rated Hotel. None the less we made the best of the birthday by enjoying the city of Boston and the sites eeing.

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank travelbee38
InterConBos, General Manager at InterContinental Boston, responded to this reviewResponded 25 August 2014

Dear travelbee38,

I am sorry to hear about your disappointment with your recent visit. We truly aim to provide a special experience for each of our guests and I regret that we did not live up to your expectations by acknowledging the birthday you were celebrating. Additionally, I regret that both your arrival and departure were hindered by the valet experience; in an effort to provide timely and efficient service, we do ask our guests to retrieve their vehicles at the garage entrance rather than the hotel front door, due to the one-way street on which we are situated. Our team works hard to make this as seamless and easy as possible and our bellmen are always happy to assist with luggage. I’m sorry to hear that this left you with a poor lasting impression of our hotel. We appreciate your feedback and I do hope that you will give us the opportunity to turn your impression around on a future occasion.

Reviewed 24 August 2014

This was our first visit to Boston, and we couldn't have picked a better location. Close to public transportation and the Wharf. The room was very nice with a great view. Got a good rest on the comfortable bed. Spacious bathroom with a separate tub and shower. Excellent customer service at the front desk, answered all my questions about our room and things to do in the area. Only stayed for 2 nights, wished we could have stayed longer. Will definitely stay there again on my next visit to the city.

Room Tip: Ask for a room overlooking the harbor.
  • Stayed: August 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Virgomom79
InterConBos, General Manager at InterContinental Boston, responded to this reviewResponded 26 August 2014

Dear Virgomom79,

Thank you very much for the great review. It is a true pleasure to know that our Front Desk team was able to assist with all of your questions and I’m thrilled to hear that you will stay with us again. I hope your travels bring you back to Boston again soon!

All the best,

Reviewed 23 August 2014

Beautiful afternoon for a wine tasting at Miel Brassiere! Our sommelier, Nicola, was extremely knowledgable, professional, and personable! He provided a wealth of knowledge about the wines and appropriate food pairings. Would certainly recommend for an afternoon out!

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank sully44

Dear sully44,

I’m so glad that you enjoyed our Saturday wine tasting at Miel! Thank you for joining us and sharing your wonderful feedback. Your compliments are very well received and we hope to see you again soon.

Reviewed 21 August 2014

We stayed here on a short weekend getaway and were disappointed in our choice. The room was lovely, apart from a lack of privacy between the bathroom and the bedroom. The room had no view: it looked directly onto the building next door, and it cost a fortune when the $44 per day parking was added to the bill. WiFi is also extremely pricey if you pay to access it from the room.

Very nice gym, but other than that there was nothing to justify the high price of the room. Our breakfast at the hotel restaurant was disappointing, with the most over-cooked bacon I've ever been served.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
InterConBos, General Manager at InterContinental Boston, responded to this reviewResponded 22 August 2014

Dear Jenn B,

My team and I are disappointed to hear about your recent experience with us. While both parking and internet charges can be costly, our team is always happy to provide alternative garage options. Additionally, all IHG Rewards Club members receive complimentary Wi-Fi. This program is free to join and I am very sorry if the benefits were not communicated to you prior to or at check-in.
Your comments about breakfast have been shared with our Executive Chef and I can assure you our team takes this seriously. We appreciate your feedback and hope to have the opportunity to turnaround your impression on a future visit.

Reviewed 21 August 2014

This was such a clean and comfortable room, Great location and so close to everything. We could walk everywhere. There are so many restaurants right on the waterfront. Don't miss Atlantic Fish Co. restaurant at 761 Boylston St. So delicious! We took a motor coach day trip up the coast to Maine and had another great meal at David's on the water. Wonderful steak lunch and very reasonable. There are many parks and beautiful flowers all around. I certainly hope to go back to Boston and stay a little longer. We missed doing so many things because we ran out of time.

Room Tip: Higher floors would be more quiet. We were on 11th floor and did not hear any noise.
  • Stayed: August 2014, travelled with friends

Dear Tom-Terri-59,

We are thrilled to read your review, thank you for taking the time to share your outstanding feedback. Boston certainly has some incredible restaurants, I’m glad you enjoyed some seafood while you were here! I hope you’ll stay with us again the next time you are in town to see everything you missed this time around.

Reviewed 20 August 2014

It was my first time at such a luxurious hotel. I absolutely loved it. We had a great city view of Boston and the location was so close to everything, I could walk everywhere I needed to go. Staff was extremely friendly and the bell serivice and house people were fast and effcient.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank dreamer3288

Dear dessie0416,

Thank you so much for the 5-star review; our top priority is for our guests to leave feeling the way you described. I’m so glad that we were able to provide a wonderful experience and we appreciate you sharing your comments with us.

Reviewed 20 August 2014

The hotel is in an excellent location - a few minutes walk from South Station, Bus stop for the airport and the historic area of the city (took probably about 20 minutes to Boston Commons and the start of the freedom trail).

The hotel itself is beautiful, with larger, modern rooms. True, if you get the side facing the street, you might have noise issues at with the FD across from you. If possible, get the other side - it'll help you sleep better at night! Everyone I encountered was helpful and friendly.

There are a few bars and restaurants right in the area, though some can close early on the weekend since it's technically the financial district. Biddy Early's is across the block and a good place for a dive bar beer. There's also one right on the waterfront.

I would definitely stay here again next time I'm up in Boston!

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple

Dear stefg1007,

We are so happy that you had a great stay with us and especially thrilled to know you will choose InterContinental Boston again. Biddy Early’s is a favorite local dive bar, how great that you had a chance to explore the area. Thank you for sharing your feedback with us, we'll see you the next time you're in town!