“Five star stay - Probably the best hotel experience I've ever had (ROOM 957)”

InterContinental Boston
Ranked #4 of 84 Hotels in Boston
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed 26 September 2009

I've been traveling for almost 20 years, and never have I been so lucky to stay at a true Five-Star hotel (The closest in my distinct memory was The Crowne Plaza in S.F./Union Square in 1994). My family was treated with respect by a truly professional staff starting from check-in on Sat. 09/19/2009 through our check-out yesterday 09/25/2009. We had two separate rooms booked through United Vacations - My parents had Room 955 and we had Room 957, with Stunning views of the 'new' Downtown Boston skyline and the new BFD HQ's building across the street (The occassional Fire Engine Siren didn't bother us). Honestly, It was fun to watch the Fire Dept do their thing and I went across the street to meet them (They allowed me into the garage and see the Big Red Engines =) Very nice). The rooms were simply luxurious from the wonderful work desk and flat screen TV to the nice bedding and inviting all-glass shower stall in the oversized bathroom stocked with amenities...PROBABLY THE FINEST HOTEL EXPERIENCE I'VE EVER HAD!!! To add what other reviewers have noted, this hotel will charge you for basic goods (However, in a strange way my parents wanted a coffee maker and were willing to pay for one, the hotel provided one to their room at no charge...) I used the bathtub and used it a container to stock my sodas and milk and fill it with ice (Saved $$$) The parking is CRAZY at $39 a night, but we knew it and had no problem with in-and-out privileges (We made the valet folks work O.T. =) We're from L.A. and this was our first trip to Boston, but we honestly made one mistake from the very start - we had a rental car. We didn't need a car as the 'T' took us to many places (We used the car for Cape Cod and Salem, MA) Next time, TAKE THE 'T' and leave the car at HERTZ. The Pool and Spa was great, as for the RumBA Bar we didn't experience (But quite noisy as we were coming back at night). In closing, I was impressed with InterContinental Boston and If anyone in Management is reading this, Our family wants to say 'Thank You' for making us feel welcome for the six days we were in Boston. Keep Up The Great Work. Peace - JG

• Stayed: September 2009, travelled on business
1  Thank goriajk
ICBoston, Carrie Flynn, Asst. Marketing Manager at InterContinental Boston, responded to this reviewResponded 24 February 2010

Thank you for the shining review! I am so pleased to hear that you had such a positive experience at the InterContinental Boston. It’s great that you were able to enjoy the waterfront view and enjoyed the amenities and services that we offer here. I agree that a rental car is not necessary due to the convenience of public transportation. We are located minutes from Boston’s main attractions including Faneuil Hall, Back Bay, and The North End, as well as the T at South Station which can take you all over Boston. I can assure you that our parking rates are priced competitively with other lots and hotels in the area. We hope to welcome you from Los Angeles again in the future.

Reviewed 25 September 2009

I was here working on a movie for 3 months. Of the approx. 10 people in my immediate office, 3 of them had stuff stolen from their rooms. The hotel claimed they were not responsible and did nothing. Stay at your own risk.

Stayed: September 2009, travelled on business
2  Thank kteneyck
ICBoston, John Mahan, Director of Security at InterContinental Boston, responded to this reviewResponded 29 September 2009

We at the InterContinental Boston take great pride in providing world class service to all of our guests. As such, safety and security is utmost important in our everyday operation. In addition to providing twenty-four hour around the clock security, our highly trained and seasoned staff take all precautionary measures to make sure we respond to guest’s immediate needs and address every concern. All of our guest rooms are in full compliance with the latest safety and security standards and feature additional amenities to include an in-room safe. We would like to reassure that we have a very solid history in the area of security and handling all issues in a timely, proper and professional manner. If there are concerns which may not have been addressed I am available to assist.

Reviewed 24 September 2009

I recently stayed at the Intercontinental in Boston for a week with my Boyfriend and I had a fantastic time I couldn't fault anything! The room was amazing, all staff extremely helpful and it was really close to everything !! Quincy Market & Fanueil Hall just a short walk away as was Downtown Boston. Anything further away you just had to hop on the T South Station was just a short walk.

As has been said extras are pricey but that's expected with this kind of Hotel, found a great diner close by 'South Street Diner' looks a bit nasty but in fact was brilliant breakfast was really tasty and very cheap would definitely recommend it.

Altogether had a fantastic time while in Boston and would recommend the Intercontinental Boston to everyone thinking about it !!!!

3  Thank lollie-22

Thank you for sharing your pleasant stay with us here at the InterContinental Boston. I am glad to hear that our staff offered you the assistance you needed. It sounds like you took advantage of the convenient location of the hotel. South Street Diner is a favorite on this end of town, I’m glad you had the chance to experience it. We appreciate you recommending the InterContinental Boston to others!

Reviewed 20 September 2009

My wife and I stayed at this hotel twice. The first visit was more enjoyable than the second. The rooms are clean and spacious, although during the second stay our room was somewhat noisy. Noise from the hallways and neighboring rooms was louder than what you would expect from a luxury hotel. There is a term in plumbing sometimes referred to as "air hammer". When a toilet refills after being flushed, there is a loud bang in the water pipe after the supply valve closes. We were frequently awakened by this noise whenever someone flushed a toilet in any of the the rooms near ours. There are no coffee makers in the rooms. A pot of coffee from room service costs ten bucks. If you want to print your airline boarding pass in the business center it will cost you nine dollars. There are no restaurants nearby other than the two restaurants in the hotel. We ate at one of the restaurants the evening we arrived. Two entrees, two diet sodas and tip added up to seventy-five dollars. I'm really not as cheap as it might seem but it's just that every little thing is going to cost you. I won't stay there again.

1  Thank mcogley

Thank you for taking the time to review the InterContinental Boston. I apologize that you did not enjoy your experience here due to the fees charged for supplementary services. Coffee makers can be requested to the room at no additional charge, I’m sorry if this was not made clear during your stay. There are many Boston attractions and restaurants within walking distance of the hotel. The Concierge can offer a list of options for those who are interested in dining outside of the hotel. I hope that our staff was able to offer you quality service, which we always strive for.

Reviewed 19 September 2009

Even though I live in Massachusetts, I stayed at the Intercontinental Boston because I was in town for a concert at the House of Blues. From the moment I arrived, everything was perfect. The staff were hospitable and helpful throughout, and the room was very nicely appointed with a view east across Fort Point Channel. Room service was excellent as were drinks in Rumba. One of the things that I appreciated at checkout was that the person at the counter went over each item in my bill to make sure that all charges were accurate. The only sour note occurred as I was leaving: if you take advantage of valet parking at the front of the hotel at check-in, you have to pick up the car next door in the garage. There's an elevator from the area behind the lobby, though it's somewhat tough to find. I had called ahead and the car was ready, but it seems that the valets didn't think my Sentra was worth any attention. So I got the keys from a man behind a window, loaded up the luggage myself and drove out. No tip for them. Within the hotel itself all amenties, from bed to bath to TV, couldn't have been better.

• Stayed: September 2009, travelled with friends
1  Thank Lytton42

We appreciate you taking the time to review the InterContinental Boston. It is great to hear that you were so satisfied with the service and amenities provided. I apologize for the poor experience you had with Valet upon your departure. The garage is located below the hotel and due to the one-way traffic on Atlantic Avenue the most efficient and fastest way to get your vehicle is by taking the elevator from the lobby level. Our Bell staff is always happy to assist with luggage to the garage level upon departure. I hope you enjoyed the concert at the House of Blues.

Reviewed 19 September 2009

In a word, this hotel is exquisite. The rooms are absolutely huge; the bathrooms are spacious and have both a shower and luxurious soaking tub. The windows—which overlook the water—have blackout shades. The beds are comfortable, the sheets amazingly soft. The bar in the lobby is great fun. The only minor downside to this hotel is that they charge for wireless Internet access (a pet peeve of mine). I would not hesitate to recommend this hotel to anyone travelling to Boston for business or pleasure!

• Stayed: May 2008, travelled on business
Reviewed 16 September 2009

Everything was oustanding. The room was beautiful. The Service was extraordinary. The bar in the lobby was fantastic and attracted a great non hotel crowd. I travel quite a bit on business and pleasure and very much rank this place highly. Only negative is the price but you do indeed get what you pay for.

1  Thank hawkdog

Thank you for writing such a positive review about your stay with us. We take pride in the hotel’s unique and trendy restaurant and bar options, and I’m happy to hear you enjoyed them! I recommend that you consider joining the Priority Club Rewards program so that you can earn points towards future stays with us. We look forward to hosting you again in the future!