“Wonderful Weekend at the InterContinental Boston” 5 of 5 bubbles

InterContinental Boston
Ranked #7 of 83 Hotels in Boston
GreenLeadersGold level
New Jersey
“Wonderful Weekend at the InterContinental Boston”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 October 2010

Hubby & I spent Columbus Day weekend in Boston with 2 nights at the Intercontinental Boston Hotel. We've been to Boston before but were not familiar with the Intercontinental so we weren't sure what to expect. Well, we were pleasantly surprised.
We booked the room through Priceline.com and got an excellent rate for our stay - it almost seemed too good to be true. The hotel is located in a great spot if you want to sightsee in Boston (and have good walking shoes!). Upon exiting the hotel 3 blocks to your left is the financial district, Boston Common & the start of the "Freedom Trail". 2 blocks to your right is Quincy Market, the Harbor Cruises, Columbus Park and so many restaurants. From Quincy Market it is a short walk to "the North End" for delicious Italian food & pastries in addition to the rest of the freedom trail. The one down side of the location is that it is across the street (6 lanes and a park) from a Boston Fire House. We were able to hear the rigs pulling out the first night of our stay. It was quiet the second night.
The room was large and most importantly for me...CLEAN! The bathroom was huge. The bed was so comfortable we were afforded a great night's sleep. Because we had made our reservation through priceline, we were not able to request a "king size" bed in advance...but on arrival the girl at the desk was able to give us what we wanted.
We did not eat in the hotel but we did go to the bar which was lively...it was fun to just "people watch". Even though the hotel was booked - there were 6 weddings there on Saturday - it did not seem crowded at all.
Boston is such a great city and there is so much to do that we'll have to return. We did walk the freedom trail and learned some new stories from US history. We took a harbor cruise (45 minutes was just enough) and saw a few sites but mostly the Boston skyline and Charlestown. Loved the North End...had a delicious dinner at Lucca's...but if you're there on a Saturday night and plan on eatting in any "recommended" restaurants...make reservations. These places are small and most had lines waiting to get in or were just turning people away. We stood on line with a bunch of other folks to get into Mike's Pastry Shop to get canoli...or...in our case...a Boston Cream Puff & brownie...delicious! My favorite thing was sitting in Columbus Park on Sunday listening to a street performer playing guitar. The weather was so beautiful and his music was so soothing it made for a very relaxing time.
The one downside was the parking fee...$39.00/night!!! Since we got such a great price on the room...I could swallow that fee...but had I paid over $200 for the room and had to pay that fee as well...I would have choked.
So, I would definitely return to Boston and stay at the InterContinental Boston hotel. We hated to leave.

• Stayed October 2010, travelled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
ICBoston, Hotel Manager at InterContinental Boston, responded to this review, 1 November 2010
Thank you for your review of our hotel. We work hard to maintain our facilities and are glad you enjoyed our stylish, modern guestrooms featuring state-of-the-art technology and lifestyle enhancing amenities that assist with work and play. It is always a delight to hear from guests who truly enjoyed their experience with us. Hopefully we will be welcoming you back soon.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (806)
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Thai first
Boston, Massachusetts
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 October 2010

I have read a couple of reviews on this site regarding the evening of the electrical fire on 8/20/2010. The InterContinental hosted my wedding reception that night and--since it was an evening wedding--a lot of my family and friends stayed at the InterCon. All of them, including me and my wife, were evacuated with the rest of the hotel guests around 2:30 am. Sadly, my new wife and I spent our first night together sleeping on the ballroom floor of the Boston Harbor Hotel with the rest of our families (most of us in formal wear). If anybody has a reason to be upset with the InterContinental, it's us.

Interestingly enough, we aren't upset - instead, we're quite the opposite. Despite that rather unlikely inconvenience, our wedding reception was absolutely fantastic. The gentlemen with whom we worked--Paul and Ralph--for a year leading up to our wedding were fully engaged in our planning and went out of their way to make our reception elegant, unique, and fun. On their recommendation, we served our guests an amazing meal that received rave reviews by all: pepper-crusted filet mignon with green and white asparagus and potato dauphinois; as well as hoisin-glazed sesame-crusted Chilean sea bass; both of which were cooked to perfection for our 200 guests. The band, Night Shift, was recommended by Paul and seriously blew away our guests (I have been told by most that they were the best band they have ever seen). With the exception of the fire (which was obviously beyond the control of the staff of the hotel) there is not a single detail I would change about our wedding reception. The entire staff was courteous, professional, detail-oriented, and genuinely concerned about the quality of our guests' stay. In my opinion, the staff of the hotel could not have been more accomodating to my wife and me or our guests. Many of our guests have told us that it was one of the best, most beautiful, and most fun weddings they've ever been to.

In the end, I have heard nothing but rave reviews of the hotel and our reception. Yes, the fire was a fiasco, as fires tend to be. It wasn't exactly the way we planned to end our wedding night, which goes without saying. But I can say with confidence that the hotel did everything they could to turn this wrong right by taking care of our overnight guests, our parents, and us. Our planners called us the next morning to make sure we were ok, apologized profusely for what happened, and assured us that they would reimburse our guests for the evening and would take care of our parents and us for all of the trouble - all of which happened to our satisfaction.

I would like to think that the fire was an abberation--something not likely to happen again anytime soon--and that the quality of the service and the accomodations are the norm. If you are planning an event in Boston and would like the perfect combination of luxury and style, I HIGHLY recommend the InterContinental. We plan to go back and spend our first anniversary there.

--Patrick

• Stayed August 2010, travelled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Thank you for taking the time to submit online your positive response and congratulations on your marriage! We appreciate your understanding in our unfortunate situation at that time. We would like you to know that the safety of our guests is of number one concern at our property and in the rare instance of any emergency we take it very seriously to insure that each guest is safely evacuated. In this instance, our overnight staff worked with the Boston Fire Department to insure just that. We have emergency systems in place and are currently reviewing procedures to move and communicate to that great a number of guests in a middle of the night evacuation. We are delighted that you had an amazing wedding and found our staff helpful and facilities enjoyable. Our staff strives to exceed guests’ expectations and make their stay as memorable as possible. We will be sure to share this with our staff and look forward to welcoming you back for your 1 year anniversary.
Athens
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 October 2010

The rooms have a modern decor, very clean with fluffy linens and super comforable beds. A nice supply of amenities were provided in the very spacious bathroom. Located within walking distance of the harbor, it was still a brisk walk from the happening nightlife. The staff was very courteous and helpful. I left items in the safe box in the room and did not discover until we had checked out a day later. The security guard went the extra mile to locate the items and ship them to me. My stay at the Intercontinental was very pleasant with a reasonable rate.

• 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
ICBoston, Hotel Manager at InterContinental Boston, responded to this review, 15 October 2010
We appreciate you taking the time to review our hotel. We are delighted that you enjoyed your stay and found our staff helpful and facilities enjoyable. Our staff strives to exceed guests’ expectations and make their stay as memorable as possible. We are glad you received your missing belongings. Thank you for your review and we hope to welcome you back soon.
Bay City, Michigan
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 October 2010

We stayed at the Intercontinental based on the acceptance of a blind bid through Priceline. We received a price of $175 per night, which is a great price for a 4-star hotel in downtown Boston. The amenities were as you would expect for a hotel of this caliber. The rooms are great. The staff was helpful. Overall, the location isn't the best, but really isn't too bad if you are a walker. It was about a 10 minute walk to the North End and Quincy Market/Faniel Hall. In the other direction, it was about 15 minutes to Copley Square. We would have no hesitation about staying here again.

• 5 of 5 bubbles
We are delighted to hear you enjoyed your stay at our hotel. Location is one of the main reasons visitors choose to stay here. We are walking distance to famous Boston attractions such as Faneuil Hall and the North End. We appreciate you taking the time to review our hotel and hope you will return soon.
The Woodlands, Texas
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 October 2010

We were SO pleased with this hotel! It was modern and classy, we loved that the bathroom wall opened to the bedroom so when taking a bath one could turn on the TV and watch. Room service was quick and the food was delicious. The staff was friendly and helpful, overall we loved this hotel and would recommend it to anyone. Oh yes, and the fitness room and pool were amazing as well! Open 24 hours.

Pittsburgh, PA
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 October 2010

Booked this hotel through priceline at a great rate. Check-in was smooth and friendly and Ryan put us in a great deluxe king corner room overlooking the park. Everything about the room was high quality – from the marble bathrooms and entrance hall to the heavy wood doors. The nightstand had switches for the entrance hall lights, headboard mood lights, and also a small reading light for night time. The lounge chair at the foot of the bed was a nice touch. The room size was decent, but the bathroom was VERY roomy with a tub and separate glass shower stall. Overall a great contemporary style room.

The hotel is located in a quiet area and really becomes a ghost town at night (although there is some noise from the fire station across the street). The hotel is a 10 minute walk or a short subway ride from central part of the city and parks (subway station is a block away). We loved the location because it was nice to get away from the busy city center and take a walk up the quiet waterfront. The concierge service was good with recommendations and directions. The gym was nice and clean and had a decent amount of free weights and machines – definitely enough to hold over a gym rat.

Cons: nickel and diming. It's almost comical what these 4* and 5* hotels get away with when they know people are paying on the company dime. $15/day for internet access? Not having free wi-fi is a real inconvenience when you are in a new city. This won't change until people start refusing to pay these outrageous prices. Like all other high-end hotels the room service and mini-bar are also comically overpriced. $30 for some bacon, eggs, toast, and coffee. The mini-bar is computerized so be careful not to remove anything or you will be charged. They only leave a very small space in the refrigerator (about the size of 4 cans of coke) for personal use – definitely not enough to hold dinner leftovers.

It's great using priceline to get a beautiful room for less than half of the listed price, but it certainly comes at a cost of these over-priced amenities. For a similar price you could probably stay at a 3* hotel with free internet and complimentary breakfast.

• Stayed October 2010, travelled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel. We are delighted that you enjoyed your stay and found our staff helpful and facilities enjoyable. Our concierge agents are dedicated to keeping our guests “in the know” and to provide insider knowledge of the city. We appreciate your review and hope you will return soon.
Chicago, Il
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 October 2010

We arrived earlier than check in on the Friday of 4th of July weekend. I wanted to let the desk know that we were in town, and store our luggage for a few hours. The person at the desk had trouble looking up my reservation and went into the back office to "check" on it for at least a half hour. I had time to use the ladies room and upon returning, they still were not back at the desk. I had to ask another person to find out what was going on. They then informed me that the reservation had been cancelled out of the system. I could not understand this since I called two days earlier and verified the reservation with the hotel directly. It was clearly a computer glitch but they gave me a hard time about rebooking even going so far as to say that the hotel was almost full due to the holiday weekend. They made me call my travel agent direct, not even offerign a phone for me to use. ( My cell phone was in the rental car) My travel agent could not understand what had gone wrong and recommended I check in as normal. I felt like I had to beg for a room - they never offered to try to do their best to rectify the situation. I finally got a room, right above the conference center where a wedding reception was held - think loud band - until 1 a.m. The room was not what I had booked - two doubles, not 1 king. All in all the service was rotten, the room was rotten and I really was made to feel that they were doing me a big favor. Nice first impression of Boston.

• Stayed July 2010, travelled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank ScoobyandShaggy
We sincerely apologize for the service challenges you experienced during your stay. We strive to provide the highest level of service and in this instance we clearly were not able to meet your expectations. The problems you mentioned are certainly not the standards here at InterContinental Boston and we are taking the necessary steps to be sure problems like these do not happen in the future. Although we never want to learn that a guest has had a bad experience, comments such as yours allow us to take an honest look at our operations and make necessary improvements. We hope you will return in the future and give us a chance to reinstill your confidence in our hotel and our services.