“Nice and trendy hotel”

InterContinental Boston
Ranked #4 of 85 Hotels in Boston
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed 1 November 2010

We stayed in October and enjoyed the experience.

The location is good - in between financial district/South station and the North End/Government Center and with the back end of the hotel facing the Boston Harbor.
Walk to South Station is 1.5 blocks - about 5 minutes. Walk to North End or Government Center would be about 15 minutes or so depending on where exactly you need to go. Otherwise- a cab ride is very short. We had our infant with us and had no problems. The rooms are very spacious.

We had a king sized bed in a room facing the street. There was a small office attached (no door) with the desk and room to place the playpen we brought. The comfort of the bed and amenities was all great. The one neat feature we noticed was that you could turn off the hallway lights from the side of your bed. We didn't hear any neighbors' noise from our room but we could hear some street noise. There is a fire station across the street (there is a narrow park/walking area that runs along side the street in front of the hotel so the station is not right outside the window but rather on the other side of the park). The noise didn't bother me and wasn't overwhelming. I've staying in other hotels deeper in the city and heard more street noise from those experiences compared to this. One feature of the room I wasn't sure I liked was the window between the bathroom and the bed- as other reviewers have commented on. The bathroom itself is very big and well appointed. The tub looked really inviting. However I think I would have preferred the wall between the bathroom and bed be a solid one for more privacy without a window that opens up to the rest of the bedroom. My husband didn't seem to mind it.

The bar downstairs was always busy so it looked to be a trendy and popular spot. We didn't have any of the food or drinks at the restaurants.

This hotel is very nice and modern in furnishings and quite spacious for hotel room size. I'd recommend it if you want to splurge.

• Stayed: October 2010, travelled with family
ICBoston, Hotel Manager at InterContinental Boston, responded to this reviewResponded 1 December 2010

Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel. Location is one of the main reasons visitors choose to stay here. We are walking distance to famous Boston attractions such as Faneuil Hall and the North End. We are delighted to hear that you enjoyed your stay and hope you will return soon.

Write a ReviewReviews (4,686)

Reviewed 29 October 2010

I loved this hotel located in the marina/business district area of the city. Great location to walk along the water, and not too far from other attractions in the city as well. Beutiful large room with great bed and linens. Concierge and check-in staff were very helpful. I got a great price on Priceline, but don't know if I would have paid the price I found on their web site for the same dates for $500 a night! Wow - I wouldn't pay that for ANY hotel room!

Reviewed 20 October 2010

I have stayed at Boston's InterContinental once before which is why I was happy to stay here again. But based on my recent stay I can say with certainty that this Hotel has gone downhill in just about all ways. I think it is incredibly overpriced for the dated rooms with stained throw pillows, the excessively dry air, the unaccommodating staff as they would not grant me a room with double beds despite my called in request, the fire engines roaring by all hours (have you heard of soundproofing?) and my favorite... $15 for microwaved scrambled eggs from room service! It's not the price that upsets me- its the microwaving of the eggs that is most disturbing and I KNOW the difference between pan scrambled and nuked! The room was in my name and my sister had parked in the garage and they told her they had to charge the parking to my room and would not let her pay out of pocket. I found this astonishing and not at all accommodating for a 5 star hotel! Why would you be required to pay for parking by room charge? What if a client was visiting me at the hotel for work- would I have to pay for their parking? What do people do when they park there for the spa or restaurant? And its not cheap at $40 a day. The hotel location is good. The doors to the hotel are incredibly heavy and the doormen just stand there- no hurry to open the door for you. I really doubt the guys over at the Four Seasons, albeit a favorite of mine, just watch the guests struggle with doors and luggage! I mean- seriously? 5 stars? Now, the one thing that they must change, as many other reviewers have discussed, is the sliding window behind the bed into the bathroom. Who approved that design is what I would like to know. I was staying with my sister on this last trip, and even when I stayed here with my husband, this was a very uncomfortable room amenity. Who wants to listen to people do anything from brush their teeth to other bathroom needs? The 'window' when closed still has a once inch open clearance and its right above your head! You hear EVERYTHING when someone else is in the bathroom. Need I say more? They should fill these windows in and be done with this ridiculous design as it does not aid in an enjoyable hotel stay. I'll give a shout out to the hotel bar. It has a happy hour and nightlife scene and thats a plus. I visit Boston on average twice a year and I will never stay here again.

• Stayed: October 2010
ICBoston, Hotel Manager at InterContinental Boston, responded to this reviewResponded 1 November 2010

We sincerely apologize for the challenges you experienced during your stay. We strive to provide the highest level of service and in this instance we clearly were not able to meet your expectations. Although we never want to learn that a guest has had a bad experience, comments such as yours allow us to take an honest look at our operations and make necessary improvements. We will share your feedback with our staff and hope you will return in the future and give us a chance to reinstill your confidence in our hotel and our services.

Reviewed 19 October 2010

This hotel has it all - fabulous staff and services, wonderful dining in lobby area, great rooms and good location for maximizing site seeing. Spent my birthday weekend in a wonderful room overlooking the harbor. Rooms were perfectly clean and well appointed. My only minor negative to say is just an opinion type thing - I did not like the sliding door between bedroom and bathroom. THIS was the only thing that I did not really care for though. Beyond that - this hotel was fabulous! Great tequila bar or champagne bar in lobby. Very cute restaurant that we did not eat at but we had their food via room service and it was fantastic. The staff were all very friendly and knowledgeable of the area. Very quiet rooms with fantastic views and very nice to valet parking on site!

• Stayed: October 2010, travelled as a couple

Thank you for your positive review. Our staff strives to exceed guests’ expectations and make their stay as memorable as possible. We are delighted that we could be apart of your wonderful birthday and it’s always great to hear from guests that truly enjoy their experience here. We appreciate you taking the time to review our hotel and hope to welcome you back soon.

Reviewed 18 October 2010

Conveniently located close to major attractions and South Station, this hotel should meet the expectations of most business and leisure travelers. Service at the front desk was courteous and formal, which is what you would expect from a business hotel. The concierge was very knowledgeable and helpful. Great Bell Desk with kind staff.

The Standard Deluxe Room with King bed is spacious and well-appointed. The bed was incredibly comfortable with the softest, highest thread count sheets I've ever encountered. The bathroom was impeccably clean with a great bath tub and separate shower.

Like many 4+ star hotels, there was a fee for Internet access, which in this day and age, is outrageous. We refused to pay and found WiFi elsewhere.

Overall, we really enjoyed retreating to our room after a busy day. Generally, we found our room to be peaceful and quiet but were disappointed to hear the sounds from the elevator that was adjacent to our room. Next time we would ask to be further away from the elevator.

• Stayed: October 2010, travelled on business

Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel. Our staff strives to exceed our guests’ expectation and we are glad you enjoyed our facilities. We work hard to maintain our facilities and are glad you enjoyed our stylish, modern guestrooms featuring state-of-the-art technology and lifestyle enhancing amenities that assist with work and play. Thank you again and we hope you will return soon.

Reviewed 15 October 2010

It was my family's first trip to Boston and it was that much better because of the Intercontinental Boston (we good a very good rate on Hotwire). The hotel is not exactly next to the main attractions, but it is a leisurely walk. The public parking lot nearby is also very reasonable. My only complaint is that we weren't there long enough!

• Stayed: June 2010, travelled with family

We are delighted to hear you enjoyed your stay at our hotel. Location is one of the main reasons visitors choose to stay here. We are walking distance to famous Boston attractions such as Faneuil Hall and the North End. We appreciate you taking the time to review our hotel and hope you will return soon.

Reviewed 14 October 2010

Hubby & I spent Columbus Day weekend in Boston with 2 nights at the Intercontinental Boston Hotel. We've been to Boston before but were not familiar with the Intercontinental so we weren't sure what to expect. Well, we were pleasantly surprised.
We booked the room through Priceline.com and got an excellent rate for our stay - it almost seemed too good to be true. The hotel is located in a great spot if you want to sightsee in Boston (and have good walking shoes!). Upon exiting the hotel 3 blocks to your left is the financial district, Boston Common & the start of the "Freedom Trail". 2 blocks to your right is Quincy Market, the Harbor Cruises, Columbus Park and so many restaurants. From Quincy Market it is a short walk to "the North End" for delicious Italian food & pastries in addition to the rest of the freedom trail. The one down side of the location is that it is across the street (6 lanes and a park) from a Boston Fire House. We were able to hear the rigs pulling out the first night of our stay. It was quiet the second night.
The room was large and most importantly for me...CLEAN! The bathroom was huge. The bed was so comfortable we were afforded a great night's sleep. Because we had made our reservation through priceline, we were not able to request a "king size" bed in advance...but on arrival the girl at the desk was able to give us what we wanted.
We did not eat in the hotel but we did go to the bar which was lively...it was fun to just "people watch". Even though the hotel was booked - there were 6 weddings there on Saturday - it did not seem crowded at all.
Boston is such a great city and there is so much to do that we'll have to return. We did walk the freedom trail and learned some new stories from US history. We took a harbor cruise (45 minutes was just enough) and saw a few sites but mostly the Boston skyline and Charlestown. Loved the North End...had a delicious dinner at Lucca's...but if you're there on a Saturday night and plan on eatting in any "recommended" restaurants...make reservations. These places are small and most had lines waiting to get in or were just turning people away. We stood on line with a bunch of other folks to get into Mike's Pastry Shop to get canoli...or...in our case...a Boston Cream Puff & brownie...delicious! My favorite thing was sitting in Columbus Park on Sunday listening to a street performer playing guitar. The weather was so beautiful and his music was so soothing it made for a very relaxing time.
The one downside was the parking fee...$39.00/night!!! Since we got such a great price on the room...I could swallow that fee...but had I paid over $200 for the room and had to pay that fee as well...I would have choked.
So, I would definitely return to Boston and stay at the InterContinental Boston hotel. We hated to leave.

• Stayed: October 2010, travelled as a couple

Thank you for your review of our hotel. We work hard to maintain our facilities and are glad you enjoyed our stylish, modern guestrooms featuring state-of-the-art technology and lifestyle enhancing amenities that assist with work and play. It is always a delight to hear from guests who truly enjoyed their experience with us. Hopefully we will be welcoming you back soon.