“Service Beyond Expectation”

GreenLeadersGold level
Swampscott, Massachusetts
“Service Beyond Expectation”
Reviewed 15 November 2010

Once again, the InterContinental Boston has exceeded our expectation. Would highly recommend this hotel. The staff was welcoming and courteous. Your staff is well trained and very accommodating.

• Stayed November 2010, travelled as a couple
ICBoston, Hotel Manager at InterContinental Boston, responded to this review, 16 December 2010
We appreciate you taking the time to review our hotel. We are delighted that you enjoyed your stay and found our staff helpful and facilities enjoyable. Our staff strives to exceed guests’ expectations and make their stay as memorable as possible. Thank you for your review and we hope to welcome you back soon.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (895)
  • Greek first
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Thai first
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 13 November 2010

It's a really swanky hotel with nice views and good access to financial district. But I didn't make any use of the services - from the restaurant, to the spa, to the mini bar - because I couldn't justify the overpriced rates for anything beyond accommodation, and that's with my company picking up the cost. Also the bar and Miel restaurant do not fit with the rest of the hotel - apart from being overpriced. They are unusually ugly, 'themed' environments (the restaurant is made up to look French provincial and the bar some kind of rum distillery theme, all very fake and tacky) which just don't fit with the glassy, classy feel of the rest of the hotel. And how do they justify such high prices for internet access when anyone knows it doesn't cost anything near that to provide it. Parking was also extremely expensive - $30 for 2 hours. Concierge and staff generally friendly, gym is good - but, really, they are missing a trick by charging such prohibitive prices for every ancillary service, including food.

• Stayed November 2010, travelled on business
Baltimore, Maryland
Reviewed 12 November 2010

I had the opportunity to stay 2 nights at the hotel in a recent business visit to Boston. The first evening I met some local associates in the hotel lobby bar for some laughs and also to prep for the next days meetings. I was surprised by the "professional" crowd in the bar! I was glad that my wife or kids were not around as they were more of what I would have expected to see in a "gentelmens club" then the lobby bar at the InterCon.

The room design is good, but furniture seems to need a refresher as some of the soft goods seem to need some refreshing as it appeared tired. I was also surprised that the soap was not replace in the soap dish when the room was cleaned between nights ... I guess that is something you should not expect at the InterCon ... Funny as the other hotels in the brand seem to ensure you have NEW toiletries every evening ...

Finally was the disappointing staff especially in the main Resturant and front desk... The first evening that I stayed there I and my colleagues decided to grab a late bite at the main Resturant ... The staff definitely made us feel like it was in imposition that we were trying to enjoy ourselves and a meal at 9:30. The following AM i had a breakfast meeting at the same Resturant. We got there at about 8:10 and were seated by 8:15. We had our order in at not later then 8:30 ... An omlette from the menu and 2 orders of wheat toast. 9:10 when the meal was still not there we got up to leave and the server in a panic insited that we sit back down and "he would make something happen immediately" why was it then he could make something happen and not the last 3 times he indicated our meals would be right out? In an effort to a make sure this was not something that happened again I went up to the front desk. I told the clerk that I was a guest of the hotel and wanted to let them know of my experience. She listened and then replied "thanks I'll tell the manager" and then went back to tapping away on her computer. Both I and my colleague were a bit surprised, but also late for a meeting so I did not ask if she wanted my room number so someone can follow up, I guess that too is not something that gets done here either. So here it is for for the manager and rest of the IHG to read now, hopefully they will work to fix some of these things so others don't have similar experiences.

• Stayed November 2010, travelled on business
1 Thank Ih8tbadcustsrvce
ICBoston, Hotel Manager at InterContinental Boston, responded to this review, 1 December 2010
We sincerely apologize for the service challenges you experienced during your stay. We strive to provide the highest level of service and in this instance we clearly were not able to meet your expectations. We truly regret the difficulties you experienced at Miel and overall during your stay The problems you mentioned are certainly not the standards here at InterContinental Boston and we are taking the necessary steps to be sure problems like these do not happen in the future. Although we never want to learn that a guest has had a bad experience, comments such as yours allow us to take an honest look at our operations and make necessary improvements. We hope you will return in the future and give us a chance to reinstill your confidence in our hotel and our services.
new york
Reviewed 11 November 2010

A lovely hotel with views from some rooms- not ours- of Boston Harbor. Good services, nice roome. The location in the financial area of Boston is a little out of the way for tourists.

• Stayed October 2010, travelled as a couple
Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel. We strive to exceed guest’s expectations and work hard to maintain our facilities. Next time you visit, stop by our concierge desk to find out some “in the know” tips about Boston and the great tourist attractions in the area such as Fanueil Hall and North End. Thank you again for taking the time to share your review of our hotel and we hope you will return soon.
weymouth estate
Reviewed 10 November 2010

i normally do not stay overnight in Boston as we live near by. Not feeling well and having a "must go " function, we decided to book a room. THe young lady I think it was Barbara was awesome,got me a great price and watervieew room.
The room was more than waht I expected, the valet parking was great and everyone was great. We went to the Admiral's Ball where my friend was being honored Man of the year.
Everything was first class, the food was outstanding and the evening a real smash. The view and location of the hotel is great. The only negative would be that you could hear people talking in the hallway.
If staying in Boston, check out this place.

• Stayed November 2010, travelled as a couple
We are pleased to hear that you enjoyed your stay. We work hard to maintain our facilities and are glad you enjoyed our stylish, modern guestrooms featuring lifestyle enhancing amenities that assist with work and play. With our 32,000 square feet of state-of-the-art, technologically advanced event, meeting, conference and banquet space, with the capacity to accommodate groups of 10 - 1,200 people, we strive to make each client event unforgettable. We appreciate you taking the time to review our hotel and hope to welcome you back soon.
London
Reviewed 6 November 2010

The hotel itself is pretty good, staff friendly. I probably wouldn't pay the full price though (got it through priceline.com). The two things that bugged me were:
1) Hotel pool water is VERY cool. Almost unbearable.
2) One of the restaurants is "sushi-teq". If you like japanese food, avoid it. If you want to try japanese food, avoid it. It's not sushi, I was really disappointed.

• Stayed October 2010, travelled on business
We appreciate you taking the time to review our hotel. We are delighted that you enjoyed your stay and found our staff helpful and facilities enjoyable. Our staff strives to exceed guests’ expectations and make their stay as memorable as possible. We are sorry to hear that some of our facilities was not up to your standards and did not meet you expectations. Although we never want to learn that a guest has had a bad experience, comments such as yours allow us to take an honest look at our operations and make necessary improvements. Thank you for your review and we hope to welcome you back soon.
Richmond, VA
Reviewed 1 November 2010

We stayed in October and enjoyed the experience.

The location is good - in between financial district/South station and the North End/Government Center and with the back end of the hotel facing the Boston Harbor.
Walk to South Station is 1.5 blocks - about 5 minutes. Walk to North End or Government Center would be about 15 minutes or so depending on where exactly you need to go. Otherwise- a cab ride is very short. We had our infant with us and had no problems. The rooms are very spacious.

We had a king sized bed in a room facing the street. There was a small office attached (no door) with the desk and room to place the playpen we brought. The comfort of the bed and amenities was all great. The one neat feature we noticed was that you could turn off the hallway lights from the side of your bed. We didn't hear any neighbors' noise from our room but we could hear some street noise. There is a fire station across the street (there is a narrow park/walking area that runs along side the street in front of the hotel so the station is not right outside the window but rather on the other side of the park). The noise didn't bother me and wasn't overwhelming. I've staying in other hotels deeper in the city and heard more street noise from those experiences compared to this. One feature of the room I wasn't sure I liked was the window between the bathroom and the bed- as other reviewers have commented on. The bathroom itself is very big and well appointed. The tub looked really inviting. However I think I would have preferred the wall between the bathroom and bed be a solid one for more privacy without a window that opens up to the rest of the bedroom. My husband didn't seem to mind it.

The bar downstairs was always busy so it looked to be a trendy and popular spot. We didn't have any of the food or drinks at the restaurants.

This hotel is very nice and modern in furnishings and quite spacious for hotel room size. I'd recommend it if you want to splurge.

• Stayed October 2010, travelled with family
Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel. Location is one of the main reasons visitors choose to stay here. We are walking distance to famous Boston attractions such as Faneuil Hall and the North End. We are delighted to hear that you enjoyed your stay and hope you will return soon.