“Unexpected stay - Very Pleased”

InterContinental Boston
Ranked #4 of 85 Hotels in Boston
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed 20 December 2010

I had an unscheduled stop at Boston Logan and needed a hotel for the night. After flying several days in a row I was utterly exhausted and ready to find a place to lay my head down for a few hours. My airline was going to put me up at the Hilton but I decided to bite the bullet and stay at the Intercontinental on my own dime and so glad I did. This is a very nice Intercontinental with excellent customer service as normal. Even though I arrived very late my status was honored and I was upgraded to a beautiful room a gorgeous view over the water. I managed to get on an early morning flight out so didn't get to experience as much of the hotel as I would have liked but I will most certainly return at a later date to take advantage of this lovely hotel when I have the time to actually enjoy it.

• Stayed: December 2010, travelled solo
1  Thank tammynnc
ICBoston, Hotel Manager at InterContinental Boston, responded to this reviewResponded 21 December 2010

Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel. We are delighted that we could make your short and unexpected stay with us enjoyable. Our staff is devoted to exceeding guests’ expectations and we are excited to welcome you back in the future. Next time you visit, stop by our concierge desk to find out some “in the know” tips about Boston and the great tourist attractions in the area such as Fanueil Hall and North End.

Write a ReviewReviews (4,678)

Reviewed 27 November 2010

Check in was quick and smooth, without any problems.

We had a room on the 7th floor with a waterfront view. Which was amazing! It was so nice to wake up and look out and see the waterfront. Highly recommended!

The rooms themselves were clean and spacious. As was the bathroom, with a separate bath and shower.

Staff were great and the concierge helped plan out day. The location was excellent. About 5 - 10 minute walk from South Station (with direct bus link to airport) and about 10 minute from Quincy market area.

No complaints, felt right at home here for the 2 nights. Will definitely be returning!

• Stayed: November 2010, travelled on business
ICBoston, Hotel Manaer at InterContinental Boston, responded to this reviewResponded 14 December 2010

It is excellent to hear you had a great stay with us. Location is one of the main reasons visitors choose to stay here. We are walking distance to famous Boston attractions such as Faneuil Hall and the North End. If you return during the warmer seasons you can enjoy the water taxi to and from the airport which gives you a great scenic tour of Boston. We look forward to welcoming you back soon.

Reviewed 23 November 2010

This was my first trip to massachusetts and it wont be my last!! The Intercontinental topped it off, an amazing Modern, Beautiful building, massive actually, happening bar scence and nice out door patio bar. Rooms are huge with unique, Nice Flat screens, Amazing Shower and Bathroom Even has a bathtub and bathrobe. This hotel was so nice, i actually didn't mind paying 8 bucks for a Heinken from the mini fridge. Free coffee maker in the room which is odd for a 5* but ill take it. Amazing Health and Beauty Products. Check in and Check Out was a breeze and a delight

• Stayed: August 2010, travelled with friends
ICBoston, Hotel Manager at InterContinental Boston, responded to this reviewResponded 14 December 2010

We appreciate you taking the time to review our hotel and are delighted that you truly enjoyed your stay. Our staff strives to exceed guest’s expectations and we work hard to maintain our facilities. To enhance your stay next time you come, stop by our concierge desk to find out some “in the know” tips about Boston. We look forward to welcoming you in the future.

Reviewed 17 November 2010

With Priceline you don't know what you are getting. This couldn't have worked out better. The rooms were modern and well designed. The beds were very comfy. The workout area was excellent. The breakfast and the bar were very good. I could not have enjoyed myself more. The perfect relaxing weekend.

• Stayed: November 2010, travelled as a couple
ICBoston, Hotel Manager at InterContinental Boston, responded to this reviewResponded 1 December 2010

Thank you for your review of our hotel. We work hard to maintain our facilities and are glad you enjoyed our stylish, modern guestrooms featuring state-of-the-art technology and lifestyle enhancing amenities that assist with work and play. It is always a delight to hear from guests who truly enjoyed their stay and hope you will visit again soon.

Reviewed 15 November 2010

Once again, the InterContinental Boston has exceeded our expectation. Would highly recommend this hotel. The staff was welcoming and courteous. Your staff is well trained and very accommodating.

• Stayed: November 2010, travelled as a couple
ICBoston, Hotel Manager at InterContinental Boston, responded to this reviewResponded 16 December 2010

We appreciate you taking the time to review our hotel. We are delighted that you enjoyed your stay and found our staff helpful and facilities enjoyable. Our staff strives to exceed guests’ expectations and make their stay as memorable as possible. Thank you for your review and we hope to welcome you back soon.

Reviewed 13 November 2010

It's a really swanky hotel with nice views and good access to financial district. But I didn't make any use of the services - from the restaurant, to the spa, to the mini bar - because I couldn't justify the overpriced rates for anything beyond accommodation, and that's with my company picking up the cost. Also the bar and Miel restaurant do not fit with the rest of the hotel - apart from being overpriced. They are unusually ugly, 'themed' environments (the restaurant is made up to look French provincial and the bar some kind of rum distillery theme, all very fake and tacky) which just don't fit with the glassy, classy feel of the rest of the hotel. And how do they justify such high prices for internet access when anyone knows it doesn't cost anything near that to provide it. Parking was also extremely expensive - $30 for 2 hours. Concierge and staff generally friendly, gym is good - but, really, they are missing a trick by charging such prohibitive prices for every ancillary service, including food.

Reviewed 12 November 2010

I had the opportunity to stay 2 nights at the hotel in a recent business visit to Boston. The first evening I met some local associates in the hotel lobby bar for some laughs and also to prep for the next days meetings. I was surprised by the "professional" crowd in the bar! I was glad that my wife or kids were not around as they were more of what I would have expected to see in a "gentelmens club" then the lobby bar at the InterCon.

The room design is good, but furniture seems to need a refresher as some of the soft goods seem to need some refreshing as it appeared tired. I was also surprised that the soap was not replace in the soap dish when the room was cleaned between nights ... I guess that is something you should not expect at the InterCon ... Funny as the other hotels in the brand seem to ensure you have NEW toiletries every evening ...

Finally was the disappointing staff especially in the main Resturant and front desk... The first evening that I stayed there I and my colleagues decided to grab a late bite at the main Resturant ... The staff definitely made us feel like it was in imposition that we were trying to enjoy ourselves and a meal at 9:30. The following AM i had a breakfast meeting at the same Resturant. We got there at about 8:10 and were seated by 8:15. We had our order in at not later then 8:30 ... An omlette from the menu and 2 orders of wheat toast. 9:10 when the meal was still not there we got up to leave and the server in a panic insited that we sit back down and "he would make something happen immediately" why was it then he could make something happen and not the last 3 times he indicated our meals would be right out? In an effort to a make sure this was not something that happened again I went up to the front desk. I told the clerk that I was a guest of the hotel and wanted to let them know of my experience. She listened and then replied "thanks I'll tell the manager" and then went back to tapping away on her computer. Both I and my colleague were a bit surprised, but also late for a meeting so I did not ask if she wanted my room number so someone can follow up, I guess that too is not something that gets done here either. So here it is for for the manager and rest of the IHG to read now, hopefully they will work to fix some of these things so others don't have similar experiences.

1  Thank Ih8tbadcustsrvce

We sincerely apologize for the service challenges you experienced during your stay. We strive to provide the highest level of service and in this instance we clearly were not able to meet your expectations. We truly regret the difficulties you experienced at Miel and overall during your stay The problems you mentioned are certainly not the standards here at InterContinental Boston and we are taking the necessary steps to be sure problems like these do not happen in the future. Although we never want to learn that a guest has had a bad experience, comments such as yours allow us to take an honest look at our operations and make necessary improvements. We hope you will return in the future and give us a chance to reinstill your confidence in our hotel and our services.