“Wonderful stay at the Nolan House!”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of Nolan House B&B

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Nolan House B&B
Ranked #15 of 39 Boston B&B and Inns
Gainesville, Florida
“Wonderful stay at the Nolan House!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 April 2013

My husband and I stayed at the Nolan House three nights, for the Boston Marathon weekend, as my husband was running in the race. It is in a quaint and quite part of Boston and is perfectly located on the busline or a short walk to the subway station. The lodging was fantastic - the bed was superbly comfortable - never have we had such a good night sleep while traveling/away from home! John made delicious breakfasts, which ranged from many different selections of pancakes, eggs, yogurts, muffins, toast, cereal, coffee, tea... Everything was wonderful. We had great time chatting with the other guests and John over the meal. He was so knowledgable of the area, the history, places to go and where to eat - it made our trip even more enjoyable. We can't wait to stay there again next year when we return for next year's race! My grandparents visit the area often and are avid Red Sox lovers; we recommended they stay at TNH on their next trip because we had such a great experience.

Room Tip: We stayed in the "Queene Anne" which had a very comfortable queen bed, a separate sitting...
  • Stayed April 2013, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (18)
Portland, Oregon
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 April 2013

My mom and I went to Boston for the Boston Marathon and had a wonderful stay at the Nolan House. The house itself is beautiful; hardwood floors, charming decorations, tasteful décor. We stayed on the third floor of the house and had our own bathroom and access to the upper deck which provides beautiful views of the city. Mr. Nolan was incredibly accommodating; he let us check in early and allowed me to come back after the race to shower before we caught our plane out. Such a wonderful place in a great neighborhood.

• Stayed April 2013, travelled with family
2 Thank jennifer t
Webster, NY
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 April 2013

Thank you for a lovely time in Boston! My boyfriend and I decided to make a last minute trip to Boston and booked only a few days in advance. We were traveling in the middle of the week and we ended up being the only guests. John was a delight and we greatly enjoyed the conversation each morning. He tells fantastic stories!

This was my boyfriend's first time staying in a B&B so he was a little wary at first. He commented that it felt like he was a guest in someone's home and I hastened to tell him that that was the point! The personalized service, quaint (and spacious) room, and a hearty breakfast are all part of the experience.

The location of the Nolan House was one of my favorite parts. It takes around a minute to walk to the bus stop which drops you right in the middle of Copley Square. John was very helpful in helping us get around the city.

Normally when sleeping in unfamiliar surroundings, it is difficult to get a good night's rest. Not so here! Both my boyfriend and I slept soundly, even with the wind whipping outside.

On the final night of our stay we walked to the liquor store, bought some adult beverages and snacks and sat in the sitting room off of our room and enjoyed a quiet evening in. We felt slightly guilty about being in Boston, but not "out and about." But it was such a nice way to cap off our stay and it felt so good to just relax and put our feet up.

Make sure you take in the view from the rooftop! It's truly a million dollar view!
Thank you, John for providing such a lovely place to stay. And thank you to Kathy for teaching John how to cook! :-)

• Stayed April 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank 233SarahK
Sandy, Utah
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 November 2012

I stayed in their Middlemarch room from the 20th October from the 22nd. First off, I arrived later than expected because they held me at the Custom Border Protection for almost three hours, and actually woke John who was already in bed, but he didn't seem to mind in the least and helped me with everything I needed. I had breakfast with the other guests and it was really great: toasts (there was jam, butter and Nutella), cereals of different kinds, tea or coffee, milk, tarts, fruit. Lots of choice! And our host was kind enough to sit with us and chat for a while, he pointed us to a few places where to go shopping and helped me with directions.
The room and the whole inn are lovely to say the least. So tidy and clean, and so home-like: it made me feel like I was in one of those old British homes; well-matched furniture, every little detail in place... I'm definitely choosing their B&B again when I'll go back to Boston. (:

• Stayed October 2012, travelled solo
2 Thank Erika P
PA
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 October 2012

This was our 1-week getaway: started at the Marriott Marquis Times Square (what a view!), moved on to the Best Western in Newport RI, and finally the Nolan House B&B in Boston. We love to travel and are no strangers to staying at Bed-&-Breakfasts. Our overall experience with the Nolan House was very good, with a few caveats.

The house is a late-19th century Victorian house in South Boston. We had a bit of trouble locating the house as it was not marked and did not look much different from surrounding buildings. My wife ran in to let the Nolans know we'd arrived. Mr. Nolan said it was OK to double-park, instructed her to carry in the luggage. He invited both of us into the dining room to pay the bill, then took his time explaining the layout of Boston, where we were in relation to downtown, told us about the subway and the bus system, about the Charlie cards, etc. He also suggested local places to eat (the Junction, which we tried later and liked very much).

Upon seeing our room, we both agreed: "It feels like we’re staying in someone else's bedroom, instead of as a guest. It's difficult to make ourselves at home". Despite the clutter, the room was very clean, the bed was comfortable, and there was adequate storage space for a 2-night stay (although the flimsy wire hangers were a nuisance).

The 2 rooms on the second floor shared a bathroom. The bathroom was clean, but the shower was difficult to maneuver. Also, the bathmat was tiny, old and definitely not hygienic. There were notes posted throughout the guest quarters: unlike previous TripAdvisor reviewers, we did not find them to be irksome (however they could have been worded more gently, i.e. start with "Dear Guests" and avoid the use of exclamation points).

The breakfast was served promptly at 08:30 each morning. It was very good with fresh fruit, yogurt, good coffee/tea, pastries, english muffins, honey, cereal and milk, etc. We got to meet the other guests and have nice conversations and exchange stories. John (Mr. Nolan) was very pleasant; he would share the local knowledge of the city and gave excellent suggestions on which parts of Boston to visit. We did not feel rushed as John kept refilling our coffee pot and bringing fresh plates of toast and jelly.

Apparently, the house has a deck on the roof with beautiful views of downtown Boston, but for some reason John never invited us to use it and enjoy the view.

Located in South Boston, the house is close to public transportation: #9 bus stops just up the street, and the subway's Red Line was a 15-minute walk away (10 blocks). Coming back late at night, we never felt unsafe. In fact, the whole city of Boston was very safe, and we found Bostonians to be extremely warm and helpful people.

We loved Boston and enjoyed our stay at the Nolan House, and would recommend it to travelers. There is a certain charm in staying at any B&B (we certainly prefer it over chain hotel) and the Nolan House is no exception. There are a few minor details that would have taken it from “average” to “great”.

Room Tip: The 2 rooms on the second floor share a bathroom, which is a standard for B&B. The room facing...
  • Stayed October 2012, travelled as a couple
3 Thank akory99
Gateshead, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 October 2012

We arrived in Boston on 6th Sept for 6-night stay (before moving on to NYC & Washington DC). This was our first-ever stay in the USA and I have to say that Nolan House B&B was our best stay overall! We were 2 couples so had the rooms that shared the bathroom which was idea. Rooms were lovely and clean and the beds were high but very comfortablel! John was an excellent host (a canny lad!) and we had some lovely chats with him every morning. At breakfast there was a good selection of cereal/yoghurt/toast/muffins/jams and sweet cake. The house is lovely, early 1900s I think and the character has been sustained. Boston was very easy to get around, the B&B is in South Boston but it was easy enough getting the bus and subway (recommend a unlimited weekly pass which was $18 each) into the city etc. Make sure you do the Freedom Trail and a Duck Tour! John recommended some local restaurants/bars such as The Junction for food which was really nice (2 for 1), as was the mexican next door, Stats and the L Street Diner - go on a Fri/Sat or Sun as Angela, the waitress there is a hoot!! Thanks to John and Kathy for making our stay very special, we really enjoyed ourselves. The Geordie 4!

• Stayed September 2012, travelled as a couple
4 Thank Elaine P
Montreal, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 September 2012

The best B&B of South Boston!
Quiet area, pretty house, cosy rooms, very kind and helpful host, excellent breakfast, beautiful view on the Boston skyline and cute dog!
We really enjoyed our stay and we highly recommend this charming place.

• Stayed September 2012, travelled as a couple