“Another great stay at Nolan House!”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of Nolan House B&B

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Nolan House B&B
Ranked #15 of 39 Boston B&B and Inns
Gainesville, Florida
“Another great stay at Nolan House!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 May 2014

My husband and I stayed here for the second year in a row for the Boston Marathon. We had another wonderful experience! For other reviews that say John provides poor breakfast, are you kidding? Yes, he always provides simple items like cereals, yogurts, etc, but he also provides different toasts with exotic jellies/jams, differently prepared eggs, pancakes (which are absolutely delicious!), fresh fruits, and more. He also provides local coffee and/or tea (he asks your preference upon arrival). At the hotels I've stayed at, I've never had such a yummy and filling breakfast. So "b f" you may be expecting 5-star hotel breakfasts, where you have to pay $50? Anyways, we had another lovely visit. We stayed in the Queen Anne room again, and the bed is so comfy we miss it when we get back home! Be sure to go to the roof at night for awesome pictures of the city all lit up! We couldn't be happier with our experience. We look forward to staying here a third time at next year's Boston marathon!!!

Room Tip: We loved the Queen Anne room - King bed with a small sitting area.
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (18)
Traverse City, Michigan
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 May 2014

This is a great place to stay in Boston. I was on a business trip and did not book a room until close to the convention time. The hotels were either booked for over $300 a night for the location near the convention center. My office administrator found this B&B online and we decided to give it a try. I was very pleased. The cost was less that half of the hotels and the experience was much better than most hotels. The decor was very nice, authentic to the city and it's history. Our room included a spacious bedroom in a cozy older home as well as a sitting room. The host, John, was very kind. He gave good directions and advice and was fun to talk to about Boston attractions and history. He cooked elaborate breakfasts every morning including bacon, pancakes, eggs, toast, fruit, cereal, etc. We spent 3 nights and really liked the place. I recommend this B&B highly.

Room Tip: There is a fitness center with pool nearby
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled on business
Lawrenceville, Georgia
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 April 2014

I love going to Bed and Breakfasts and this one is the worst I have ever been to. Every B&B I have been to, has had a charming host and a wonderful breakfast. Nolan House provided neither. John was not very welcoming. It was like I was at a hotel. I expect more than that from a B&B (up until this B&B- I have always gotten more). The breakfast was SO DISAPPOINTING. Cereal, scrambled eggs and yogurt- the Hampton does a much better job than that. I go to B&Bs because of the welcoming feeling of going to someone's home rather than going to a cold hotel. John didn't provide what I have come to expect from a B&B. He should advertise as a "hotel" rather than a Bed and Breakfast. Those of us who frequent B&Bs expect more.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank b f
Springfield, Virginia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 April 2014

If you are expecting individual room temp control, a parking garage & a full menu then you need to go to a hotel! This is a charming B & B with comfortable rooms which are beautifully decorated. It is in a quiet area close to great dining. John knew we were driving and gave us his parking place when we arrived. It is within walking distance to the convention center where you can pick up public transportation. Coffee and toast was outside our bedroom door each morning we had to leave early.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled on business
3 Thank MJHeater
Lawrenceville, Georgia
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 April 2014 via mobile

We booked a room at the Nolan house to attend a convention. While a little difficult to find, once found the house was charming and just as presented on the website. The neighborhood was quiet and had several good option to eat. However, the owner of this property John Nolan is one of the most rude and condescending people I have ever met in my life.

Upon arrival, John hurried us in without much more than a grunt and said follow me. Once in our room we were instructed to meet him in the dining hall in 10 minutes to go over breakfast. We were told since we wanted to leave early in the morning, we would only be getting cereal and fruit for breakfast. John did show us the parking (more than 3 blocks away).

That night we found it very difficult to sleep. The room was extraordinarily hot and we had to keep the door open in order to get some air. Upon waking up, we went to breakfast which was just as he had advertised a box of cereal, cold toast and some cut up fruit. When we expressed our concern about the temperature in the room, John said....yes that room is hot...you will have to sleep with the window open (bear in mind that the night time temps were in the low 30s).

The next morning we decided to sleep in and have the full breakfast. This full breakfast was nothing more than the box of cereal again with 2 scrambled eggs. We expressed a concern to John that we would be out late that evening and was worried about finding a parking place when we returned. He reassures us that on the weekends all parking was open and we would be able to park anywhere.

Upon our return at 8:40, we of course could not find a place to park despite searching for an hour. We went in and asked John what we should do. His answer was you shouldn't have moved your car. While we were able to find a spot (I stood in it while someone else pulled out), I could not believe what we had been told.

His basic response was to leave the car parked in 1 place and take taxis. My question was why did he not express to me the dire situation about the parking when I told him I would be bringing a car.

His second response was that we needed to get in earlier. To that I say, there is no living room in this house to enjoy in the evening and the TV in the room with rabbit ears got 1 channel when it was clear and nothing when it rained!

I have stayed at many b & b's and I say....John, if you don't like hosting guests, get out of the b&b business.

Stayed April 2014, travelled on business
2 Thank Mariathurmond
Melbourne, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 January 2014

My GF and I visited Boston in December 2013.

It's clean, cosy, safe and in a great location with an amazing host John!

It was our first time in Boston, and after this experience I know we will be visiting again!

Our room was huge and had all the comforts of home; the sort of bed you look forward falling in to at the end of a big day exploring the many amazing sights of Boston.It's right next to a bus stop that takes you right in to the heart of the city and there are stacks of amazing places to eat just a short stroll from Nolan House.

Every morning John had prepared an amazing home cooked breakfast, which was a great way to start the day. John was an amazing host always happy to share local hints on good places to explore or get a meal.

Our time in Boston was special and I would highly recommend you stay at Nolan House!

Thanks,

T&C

• Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Tim C
Providence
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 November 2013

I made a reservation with this people and had to cancel it. I gave them adequate notice and they refused to refund even half of my money to this day. The owner told me that I needed to give them 14 days notice. For starters, I did not have 14 days because the reservation was made less than a week to the date of check in. Besides, in her correspondence with me she never mentioned the 14 days notice requirement so it took me by surprise.

Stayed July 2013, travelled on business