“Traditional B&B near convention center”
Review of Nolan House B&B

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Nolan House B&B
Ranked #15 of 37 Boston B&B and Inns
Reviewed 1 June 2014

If you like the creature comforts and standards associated with regular chain hotels, I don't think the Nolan B&B is for you. It's a very quaint and classic style B&B, similar to what you might find in a small English town. A Victorian house, that's adorned with handmade crafts, trinkets, bone china, antique furniture, with creaky floorboards and traditional central heating.

My room was clean and comfortable. There was wifi which was very reliable and fast. The TV in the room didn't have the best reception but I rarely switched it on. I didn't hear any outside noise from traffic on the main road but with heavy rain, the wooden window frames did rattle a little. A shared bathroom was on the same floor as my room (shared with one other guest), with complimentary toiletries, hair dryer and an iron. The hot and cold water was a bit temperamental but this may be down to Victorian plumbing or water running simultaneously in other parts of the house.

Breakfast was at 8.30am each morning but as I had to leave earlier than this on conference days, a pot of tea, yogurt and fruit were waiting for me outside my door at 6am. The breakfast at 8.30 was simple and sufficient: hot tea/coffee, toast and cereal, boiled eggs, muffins, fresh fruit.
I would have liked to have able to eat breakfast earlier than 8.30am, perhaps with the cereal, fruit, yogurts, muffins laid out on the table for guests to help themselves between 6-9am. A kettle in the room, to make tea and coffee would have also been nice.

The location is ideal for anyone attending a conference at the convention center or the Westin hotel, only a 15-20 min walk on foot or a $7 taxi ride. Buses from the main road go straight into downtown Boston and you're only about a 10 minute walk away from the subway station. The area has plenty of shops, restaurants and bars along the main road (Broadway), just a minute from the B&B.

The host was friendly and knowledgeable about the local area.

Overall, when compared to the high end hotels around the convention center at $200-300 per night, this B&B is good value for money if you're on a budget and don't mind a little walk.

Room Tip: If you're a light sleeper, use ear plugs as you may hear noise from the bathroom, floorboards of...
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank Victoria R

Reviewed 1 June 2014

My wife and I spend 10 days at the Nolan House and found the visit very welcoming. John was very gracious and informative. We has very nice breakfasts and received good advise on how to get around. The neighborhood is very welcoming as well. There are people in the community that are open to helping out and I even got an invitation for a ride. There were very good places to get a good meal within walking distance. I find it difficult to understand why some people would not find staying at the Nolan House a pleasurable experience. Thanks to John I had a great time.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled on business
Reviewed 19 May 2014

My husband and I stayed in Nolan house for 4 nights. John was really friendly and accommodating and we enjoyed his great breakfasts. The location was great, close to bus station that will get you to the subway station in few minutes. The room was clean and comfortable. Enjoyed saying in a victorian house! I definitely recommend staying here.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 3 May 2014

My husband and I stayed here for the second year in a row for the Boston Marathon. We had another wonderful experience! For other reviews that say John provides poor breakfast, are you kidding? Yes, he always provides simple items like cereals, yogurts, etc, but he also provides different toasts with exotic jellies/jams, differently prepared eggs, pancakes (which are absolutely delicious!), fresh fruits, and more. He also provides local coffee and/or tea (he asks your preference upon arrival). At the hotels I've stayed at, I've never had such a yummy and filling breakfast. So "b f" you may be expecting 5-star hotel breakfasts, where you have to pay $50? Anyways, we had another lovely visit. We stayed in the Queen Anne room again, and the bed is so comfy we miss it when we get back home! Be sure to go to the roof at night for awesome pictures of the city all lit up! We couldn't be happier with our experience. We look forward to staying here a third time at next year's Boston marathon!!!

Room Tip: We loved the Queen Anne room - King bed with a small sitting area.
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 1 May 2014

This is a great place to stay in Boston. I was on a business trip and did not book a room until close to the convention time. The hotels were either booked for over $300 a night for the location near the convention center. My office administrator found this B&B online and we decided to give it a try. I was very pleased. The cost was less that half of the hotels and the experience was much better than most hotels. The decor was very nice, authentic to the city and it's history. Our room included a spacious bedroom in a cozy older home as well as a sitting room. The host, John, was very kind. He gave good directions and advice and was fun to talk to about Boston attractions and history. He cooked elaborate breakfasts every morning including bacon, pancakes, eggs, toast, fruit, cereal, etc. We spent 3 nights and really liked the place. I recommend this B&B highly.

Room Tip: There is a fitness center with pool nearby
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled on business
Reviewed 19 April 2014

I love going to Bed and Breakfasts and this one is the worst I have ever been to. Every B&B I have been to, has had a charming host and a wonderful breakfast. Nolan House provided neither. John was not very welcoming. It was like I was at a hotel. I expect more than that from a B&B (up until this B&B- I have always gotten more). The breakfast was SO DISAPPOINTING. Cereal, scrambled eggs and yogurt- the Hampton does a much better job than that. I go to B&Bs because of the welcoming feeling of going to someone's home rather than going to a cold hotel. John didn't provide what I have come to expect from a B&B. He should advertise as a "hotel" rather than a Bed and Breakfast. Those of us who frequent B&Bs expect more.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank b f
Reviewed 7 April 2014

If you are expecting individual room temp control, a parking garage & a full menu then you need to go to a hotel! This is a charming B & B with comfortable rooms which are beautifully decorated. It is in a quiet area close to great dining. John knew we were driving and gave us his parking place when we arrived. It is within walking distance to the convention center where you can pick up public transportation. Coffee and toast was outside our bedroom door each morning we had to leave early.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled on business