“Good value”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Rutland Square House
Ranked #26 of 38 Boston B&B and Inns
Nashville
“Good value”
Reviewed 11 August 2012

It's a great value considering that hotels and B&B in Boston are so expensive. The location is great. You can walk to the Prudential T in about 10 minutes. From there you can get anywhere in the city. It's in a good area. The owner will go out of his way to help you find a parking spot (for free) if needed. Be aware that you will have to share a bathroom with other occupants. I did not feel the completely comfortable with the cleanliness of the place. It's a good place for a quick stay in Boston, especially if you just need somewhere to sleep while you do all the sightseeing stuff.

• Stayed July 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank mfalc04

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (3)
München
Reviewed 15 July 2012

We had a great stay at the Rutland Square House in Boston. The B&B is located quite central, near the Prudential center close by Boston Downtown. The owner is very nice. We easily could reserve the room by email and without any deposit. By our arrival he welcomed us and recommend us a lot of nice places in Boston.
The room was huge and clean. We shared the bathroom, but it was not busy. We never saw other people around there.
I really recommend to stay in this lovely B&B. So have a nice stay there!

• Stayed July 2012, travelled with friends
1 Thank ganserli
Portland, Oregon
Reviewed 6 June 2012

This B&B is an excellent option for people looking for affordable lodging with some character. The location is great -- beautiful street, near lots of good restaurants, short walk to the Prudential, Huntington, etc., and felt very safe. The owner is very nice, although I didn't see much of him, and felt free to come and go as I pleased. Self-serve breakfast is very handy -- no being forced to sit through a big meal to please the chef -- and then there's always some extra cereal or fridge space if you need it. No, it has not been recently renovated (I'm guessing a good amount of the woodwork is original, and the bathroom is very basic), but I liked that it felt comfortable and home-y.

Room Tip: Room C downstairs was quiet, and had a small attached room with sinks - good for getting ready for t...
  • Stayed June 2012, travelled solo
2 Thank Katelinlee
Philadelphia
Reviewed 13 August 2010

The house is nice, but it has the potential to be much nicer if better maintained. The rooms are clean, just worn down and outdated. We just wanted a place to stay, and it was perfect for that. The owner is also very nice. It is a good deal considering the cost of local hotels. Just don't expect anything fancy and you will enjoy your time.

• Stayed August 2010, travelled as a couple
2 Thank SR19087
Grundarfjordur
Reviewed 19 April 2010

Me (20) and my girlfriend (18) stayed at Rutland Square House for 7 nights in August 2009.

Our trip's purpose was shopping and we wanted a place to stay located centrally in Boston. And that we got! Rutland Square House is about 4-5 min walk over to Prudential Center.
All the time we were we didn't once take a cab. We walked everywhere (except from and to the airport :)), sometimes coming home exhausted after a long day of walking and shopping.

We got amazing weather while staying in Boston, only one time it rained and that rain shower lasted for about 30 minutes.

We met the owner, Peter Gillis about 4 times during our stay. We don't think that it is important to be catered like little childs. We are independant and we managed just fine without him greeting us every morning and being in our faces all the time! :)
Because we didn't spend much time at the B&B. We left everyday around 9 and came back after dinnertime.

We LOVED our stay and there is not a single thing to cry about.
Peter gave us maps of the city and highlighted the points of interest.
We do also encourage and recommend people to go on a shopping spree at the Chelsea Premium Outlet. Great Value for your money there!

• Stayed August 2009, travelled as a couple
1 Thank atli89
canada
Reviewed 19 October 2009

It was extremely difficult looking for a hotel or b&b with a reasonable price the weekend of Canadian thanksgiving. It so happened that the weekend I decided to take my boyfriend to Boston for his birthday ended up being the busiest week for tourists for Boston. Hence, when I found an available room at Rutland Square, and for around 50% less than what I had expected to pay, I was thrilled.

The location ended up being extremely convenient and incredibly quaint. The particular strip the b&b was located on was quiet - just what we were looking for, and the actual building exuded charm. For those looking to soak in the entire New England experience of Boston, I would reccomend you stay here. I loved the antique pots sitting by a ledge near the wooden stairs, an old violin store in a lovely carved out bookcase, and fell in love with the victorian details that surrounded us.

Truth is, at first, I was put off a bit by previous reviews on this site, and did not want to find myself in a dirty, old b&b. In the end though, we realized that the Rutland Square was perfect for any couples or solo travellers. My boyfriend and I are both 26, him in Finance and me in Fashion, but we were both able to thoroughly feel comfortable in the building. In fact, we often times felt as if we owned the place considering the owner respected our privacy and allowed us to have our space. He was also extremely friendly and helpful -

I would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed October 2009, travelled as a couple
1 Thank piratekate
Glen Ellyn, Illinois
Reviewed 27 September 2009

I stayed for four nights in this bed and breakfast. It is only a four block walk to the Prudential Center and "T" in Back Bay area. The house is very charming and full of character. The area around the house is very quiet and peaceful. There are no major clubs, restaurants or loud cars to disrupt the peace of the neigborhood. There is a good French bistro just down the block.

There are probably 4-5 rooms for guests to share on three levels. The main bathroom with the shower and tub are on the bottom floor, next to the kitchen. Yes, you have to share the bathroom and shower with other guests. I never had a problem encountering schedule problems with other guests. In fact, I rarely saw the other guests except possibly in the morning for breakfast.

Breakfast is self serve, basically you make whatever you want for breakfast and you clean your own dishes. The owner does his best to accomodate reasonable requests. If you want skim milk instead of whole or grapfruit juice instead of orange juice, he will get it. He has several choices of cereal, fruit, toast, yogurt, english muffins, coffee and tea. He has a house cleaner come three times a week. He does provide 2 large towels for the shower but he usually forgets wash clothes.

The only word of warning I have is regarding the beds and stairs. You will be using the stairs a lot to get up and down. The stairs can creak and groan as you go and down. Unless you request the bottom room, which has a seperate ground entrance and access to kitchen and bathroom without using stairs. The beds are hard/firm and the pillows can be flat instead of fluffy. Just a word of caution if you cannot tolerate a firm bed. He does have wireless internet and cable tv in each room.

• Stayed September 2009, travelled solo