“Beautiful old house, would live here!”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Rutland Square House
Ranked #25 of 38 Boston B&B and Inns
“Beautiful old house, would live here!”
Reviewed 20 July 2014 via mobile

My husband and I are currently staying at the Rutland square house..and all I can say are great things Peter the proprietor greeted us warmly when we arrived and even found me a parking spot for FREE may I add for the 3 days we are going to be in Boston, which is not an easy task to do .when entering the house he told us about the local sites and things to do ect gave us a map and marked some spots on it for us . (The map comes in handy if you get lost trust me lol )
Anyway the kitchen was fully stocked w food and it is self serve which we have no problem w at all .
Im not to sure what the other reviewer was complaining about as far as not seeing mr. Peter did he want to hang out ?? Idk did he feel the need to be checked on ?? Blah I personally dont care for hoverers and you're In boston to do and see things anyway .
the long and short of it is this we will be coming back to Boston and we will stay here again the house is old yes but it is lovely and full of charm and personality . Just like Peter
I would recommend this to any of my friends and family as a nice getaway spot . If you like and appreciate an artful eclectic decor w old world charm you will enjoy rutland square house .

• Stayed July 2014

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (3)
UAE
Reviewed 3 June 2014

This is an ideally located BnB in the heart of Boston City.An easy 10 min walk from the metro/train
Cn be charming for people who prefer old houses with wooden floors and old style furniture , which might not be antique but just plain old.

The rooms are quite large , though not very bright.
The breakfast is do-it-yourself muffins/ juices and butter/jam. Quite basic
You would not see/meet the owne, peter, other than on your day of arrival

The toilets are shared, s be prepared for that. Though acceptably clean.

we loed our stay in this BnB mainly because of the location.

Room Tip: If you dont want to carry your liggage up/down the squeeky stairs, ask for a room on the ground floo...
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank nmasood
Reviewed 1 June 2014

The place is located slightly far way from the metro and other locations of interest so we had to have a daily walk of 10/15 minutes to get to the metro or to other locations where one would go to do stuff.
The place was clean and the breakfast was basic. The toilet facilities were interesting as the toilet next to the kitchen had a bio toilet which was an interesting experience but kind of annoying if you have to use it regularly.
The house smelled a bit like old wood, which added character, but also not something I would have liked. Mixed feelings on that one.
The owner is a very interesting character and I liked his conversations and insight. If it was located closer to the action or closer to the transport network I would have come back to this place again.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled with friends
Tucson, Arizona
Reviewed 21 May 2014

We walked up the steps and when we tried the door, we were called from under the stairs. The owner invited us through a five foot door and a second door into a charming hallway. The owner (I never internalized his name) explained the way the house worked. He takes cash and travelers checks—no credit cards. The kitchen has a working antique stove and breakfast is up to you. The frig is stocked with breakfast foods, there is cereal on the shelf, bread and muffins by the toaster and coffee. the room looks out over a small garden FILLED with tulips and other flowers.

We were given keys to the front door and a skeleton key for each room which were on the third floor. Every hallway and each room is covered in quirky, interesting art. We were the only two on our floor so the shared bathroom became a non issue. The rooms are huge with high ceilings and great lighting. There were shelves lined with great books (though I was too busy to read them).

Every stair creaks. The first night the radiator made a knocking racket but it was not enough to keep me awake. The bathroom is stocked with bar soap (no shampoo, no conditioner). The water takes 2 minutes to heat up, then burns the skin from your body (LOL!). Hotels are boring, this was not. Everything was perfect. It is the most interesting place I have ever stayed. It was the best three nights of my traveling life and I travel all over the world.

I do not often get to Boston, but if I can find any excuse to return to this B&B, I will do so with the greatest haste.

Room Tip: The room I had was toward the back on the third floor. I do not assume it to be the best, but I woul...
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
Utrecht, The Netherlands
Reviewed 21 October 2013

This is a very pretty house, centrally located in Boston. The rooms are very large and pretty, with a lot of wood, nice lamps, etc. Bathroom is shared, and slightly noisy, but my sleep wasn't disturbed by it. The neighborhood is nice, and the place is easily reachable. I would go here again.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled on business
Northampton, United Kingdom
Reviewed 17 October 2013

The house itself is everything you would want from an old Brownstone building in Back Bay!! High ceilings, big rooms, loads of character. And a great location, only a few minutes walk from the T. The only downside is the plumbing, which is in need of updating (noisy central heating), and an interesting composting toilet in the shared bathroom.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled with family
Bangkok, Thailand
Reviewed 16 May 2013

The house itself is extremely beautiful, and is located in a nice neighborhood of Boston. I walked myself back from the subway at 10pm and still feel as safe as I could be. The property is around five minutes walk from the subway station so you need not to worry about how to get around. The host is extremely helpful and we exchanged emails before my arrival. I arrived a couple of days after the Boston shooting and so reserving tours for government facilities was extremely difficult, but he helped me contact the agency until I got a reply. I also forgot to pack my coat for my trip so I was having great difficulty there, and he provided me with a sweater and told me that I could take it with me after I leave. The house itself is excellent, I love the decoration and the charm of an old townhouse. The plumbing needs improvement, but it is not dirty, and I have no problem with that at all. The complimentary wifi is excellent and i have no problem surfing the internet at all. Breakfast was simple, but I enjoyed the cereals and the wide variety of tea provided. All in all, a great place to stay, excellent bed, simple breakfast, great value, and extremely helpful host.

• Stayed April 2013, travelled solo