“Unexpectedly quaint and bang for the buck!”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Rutland Square House
Ranked #27 of 38 Boston B&B and Inns
canada
“Unexpectedly quaint and bang for the buck!”
Reviewed 19 October 2009

It was extremely difficult looking for a hotel or b&b with a reasonable price the weekend of Canadian thanksgiving. It so happened that the weekend I decided to take my boyfriend to Boston for his birthday ended up being the busiest week for tourists for Boston. Hence, when I found an available room at Rutland Square, and for around 50% less than what I had expected to pay, I was thrilled.

The location ended up being extremely convenient and incredibly quaint. The particular strip the b&b was located on was quiet - just what we were looking for, and the actual building exuded charm. For those looking to soak in the entire New England experience of Boston, I would reccomend you stay here. I loved the antique pots sitting by a ledge near the wooden stairs, an old violin store in a lovely carved out bookcase, and fell in love with the victorian details that surrounded us.

Truth is, at first, I was put off a bit by previous reviews on this site, and did not want to find myself in a dirty, old b&b. In the end though, we realized that the Rutland Square was perfect for any couples or solo travellers. My boyfriend and I are both 26, him in Finance and me in Fashion, but we were both able to thoroughly feel comfortable in the building. In fact, we often times felt as if we owned the place considering the owner respected our privacy and allowed us to have our space. He was also extremely friendly and helpful -

I would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed October 2009, travelled as a couple
1 Thank piratekate

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (3)
Glen Ellyn, Illinois
Reviewed 27 September 2009

I stayed for four nights in this bed and breakfast. It is only a four block walk to the Prudential Center and "T" in Back Bay area. The house is very charming and full of character. The area around the house is very quiet and peaceful. There are no major clubs, restaurants or loud cars to disrupt the peace of the neigborhood. There is a good French bistro just down the block.

There are probably 4-5 rooms for guests to share on three levels. The main bathroom with the shower and tub are on the bottom floor, next to the kitchen. Yes, you have to share the bathroom and shower with other guests. I never had a problem encountering schedule problems with other guests. In fact, I rarely saw the other guests except possibly in the morning for breakfast.

Breakfast is self serve, basically you make whatever you want for breakfast and you clean your own dishes. The owner does his best to accomodate reasonable requests. If you want skim milk instead of whole or grapfruit juice instead of orange juice, he will get it. He has several choices of cereal, fruit, toast, yogurt, english muffins, coffee and tea. He has a house cleaner come three times a week. He does provide 2 large towels for the shower but he usually forgets wash clothes.

The only word of warning I have is regarding the beds and stairs. You will be using the stairs a lot to get up and down. The stairs can creak and groan as you go and down. Unless you request the bottom room, which has a seperate ground entrance and access to kitchen and bathroom without using stairs. The beds are hard/firm and the pillows can be flat instead of fluffy. Just a word of caution if you cannot tolerate a firm bed. He does have wireless internet and cable tv in each room.

• Stayed September 2009, travelled solo
1 Thank caissonqueen
UK
Reviewed 24 February 2009

Owner seen once on arriving.
Awful room, dark and depressing, bathroom on landing.
Location good, short walk to 'T'
In total agreement with previous reviewer. Only wish I had posted my pictures and review earlier so that Alkie1 could have chosen a better place to stay!

• Stayed August 2008
2 Thank Pureblueuk

Travellers are raving about these Boston hotels

UK
Reviewed 25 October 2008

Imagine, Beautiful brownstone house meets Bates Motel.
Greeted by the owner on arrival. We missed a flight and arrived late He had to fish our booking out of the bin.( Only time in the 4 days we saw him) shown to a very large rooon the ground floor with a massive double bed and a single bed fitted out in early American Car Boot Style ,plus some period pieces No compaints about the cleanliness of the room,with 2 bath towels ( No hand Towels), From the room you had to go into a room containing a copper sink snd sn rmsil one, both beautifully stained from dripping taps but with original panelled walls, through a door into the breakfast room, which was very well stocked with basic food.
We then went through another door to the bathroom/toilet, which meant you had to make sure you had enough time ( and not have a week bladder) to make it there.There was even an original hair in the bath/shower which precluded anything but a wash.
We never had the bed made or the towels changed in thte 4 days we were there. Boston was fabulous and the leaf tour is a must if you are there at the right time

• Liked — position
  • Disliked — everything else
  • Stayed October 2008, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Alkie1
Iowa
Reviewed 8 September 2008

This B&B is one of the beautiful brownstones in the South End.

My room was huge, including a double bed, large sitting area, wardrobe and a small tv with cable. The kitchen was stocked for breakfast (which was self serve and available whenever), and there was plenty of room in the fridge for leftovers.

The house is decorated with antiques and ramdon art which I loved and guests are free to come and go as they wish.

The guests share a bathroom, (the one I used was off of the kitchen, and I saw another upstairs).

I had lived in Boston before and so I was already familiar with the area, so the self-service nature of the accomodations were perfect for me. For actual out of town visitors the owner Peter takes time to give newcomers a thorough orientation and helps them settle in.

Also, since it is old Boston there are lots of steps.

• Liked — Location, decor, beautiful outdoor garden
  • Disliked — Stairs
  • Stayed October 2008, travelled solo
Quebec
Reviewed 20 August 2008

My boyfriend and I stayed 3 nights at rutland square house. We were very surprised with the size of the room: it was huge! the other 2 rooms that we could peek into were also fairly large. The bathroom was downstair, shared by 3 rooms, which was not the best.
The owner was very nice, very helpful to find parking which did not cost me a cent and was just nearby. He showed us map and explain a couple basic things about the city when we first arrived. After that, we saw him only 2 or times, where he was friendly without wanting to chat for hours, which was great.
The location is great, in a quiet neighborhood, but also just a 5 minutes walk from a subway station.
Overall, a very good experience.

• Liked — Location and price
  • Stayed August 2008, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Cri06
Newfoundland
Reviewed 12 August 2008

The Rutland Square House is a beautiful spot, and the owner seemed very helpful. Unfortunately, our trip got off to a rough start because we were late and he had had to go out, but he had helpfully left the keys for us and welcomed us in his absence. He was also going to help us find parking (take him up on that, trust me!), but because he was out we had to park in the street to unload the truck and then we ended up parking in a garage not too far away to be on the safe side. It's important to note that we didn't actually have any problems, but I was nervous all the same, not being familiar with the area, and he had warned us not to leave anything in the vehicle to tempt thieves. By the time we got parked and got back there, it was late and we hadn't eaten, so we helped ourselves to breakfast for supper, and he came home while we were eating. We had a friendly chat and he provided some suggestions for sight-seeing the next day, and that was all we saw of him.

The downstairs room we had was lovely - lots of old artifacts, and there were actually two beds there. The whole decor and arrangements were very old-fashioned, but nice - although some of the artwork was a bit graphic. There was also a room with two sinks connecting us to the kitchen which was convenient. We didn't see any sign of anyone else there while we were there, but we did note that the bathroom was off the kitchen which could have been awkward if people had been having breakfast while we were getting ready in the morning. The plumbing is old (expected for an old building, but it could definitely be upgraded), and the composting toilet took a little getting used to, but it seemed like a great idea. Note - there are a lot of stairs to get into the house and then within the house - be prepared to climb.

The room was nice, the self-serve kitchen was great, and the host was friendly and helpful. The location was pretty good too, although we didn't get enough time there to explore it properly. Overall, a nice spot to stay.

• Liked — Location, heritage feel
  • Disliked — Going through kitchen for bathroom, old plumbing
  • Stayed July 2008, travelled as a couple