“We Waited Forever Once We Got Off At A Stop”

Old Town Trolley Tours
Book In Advance
More Info
US$41.95*
and up
Boston Hop-on Hop-off Trolley Tour
Ranked #16 of 139 Tours in Boston
More attraction details
Owner description: Old Town Trolley Tours of Boston shows you the best of Boston on their 100-minute, fully narrated tour. As the official tour of the Boston Red Sox, guests will enjoy 19 stops, including Fenway Park, where you may disembark for shopping, dining and attractions. Each ticket comes with free admission to a 45 minute cruise of Boston Harbor, the Old State House Museum and coupons worth over $50 in savings. Old Town Trolley Tours has a 100% money back guarantee.
Useful Information: Activities for older children
Woodbury, New Jersey
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 4 helpful votes
“We Waited Forever Once We Got Off At A Stop”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 July 2014

Two years ago, we visited Boston, and use Old Town Trolley. We were very happy with that experience.

However, we visited on June 23rd and 24th of this year, and our experience was not a pleasant one. We got off at stop #2 in the north end, and visited and walked to the Old North Church and continued walking to the USS Constitution stop, which is #3. We waited in the heat of the sun for a half hour until a trolley pulled up. During that time, we saw duck boats, and other trolleys representing another company pull up multiple times. When Old Town pulled up, there was room for 2, and my husband and I were not those two people. Our total waiting time at stop 3 was 45 minutes.

Once we were boarded again, it seemed as if no one was getting off. Time after time we stopped at stops, and had to tell the people waiting, "No room!" The promise of another trolley was offered, as long as they were patient, and would wait in the sun.

We had decided to risk it by getting off at the Cheers stop. We walked in the Public Gardens and throughout Boston Common, and then, the wait began. Another 30 minute wait back at the Cheers stop.

We didn't dare get off again. It was now 3:30 p.m., and you must be on a trolley by 5 p.m. Other companies run past that time, but not Old Town Trolley.

We started the next day with a few specific stops in mind. We waited 40 minutes at Fenway Park, in the 90 degree heat for a trolley to appear. Double decked bus tours were showing up every 10 minutes, and my husband and I agreed we had made a mistake using Old Town this year. When the trolley appeared, it was an older trolley, with only about 2 seats available. But, there was a problem with this trolley. The door wouldn't open all the way. You could not reach the handle bars, and for me, that was a problem. My husband literally had to push me through the door so I could reach the handle bars to help myself get in. That left me in excruciating pain, with the likelihood of broken ribs because the squeeze was so tight.

We decided to only get off at the Boston Tea Party stop because we truly couldn't be guaranteed that we would be picked up in a timely manner. I was also physically hurting. We went to the Tea Party Museum, and afterwards, began the wait. Every trolley that came by was filled. We then decided to just walk back to the Harbor Parking garage and forget the trolley.

Yes, the tour is great IF you aren't going to get off. From what we witnessed, the majority of people AREN'T getting off. Every stop we stopped at had to be told that the trolley was filled and another trolley would be coming.

I am a very positive person and it's difficult to write this, but with so many other options available for touring, it's my recommendation that you try something else.

1 Thank Debbie H
John W, General Manager at Old Town Trolley Tours, responded to this review, 3 July 2014
First, thank you for taking the time to review our tour. Please accept my apologies for the difficulties in boarding you encountered while on the tour. We take great pride in providing our guest excellent customer service and we let you down.

We do have a 100% money back guarantee that I hope you will take advantage of by visiting the customer service area of our website.

• Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
Juneau, Alaska
141 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 225 helpful votes
“Good tours but poor organization”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 July 2014

The route of the trolley is great. The drivers are good. They help with information and narrate the tours well. The price is reasonable considering the two day pass and free admission to the Boston Tea Party museum or scenic cruise (we went to the Tea Party and it was awesome!) But... Here's the dark side: they sell more tickets than they can handle. Sometimes you have to wait for a long time, because all trolleys come full and they don't allow people to stand. You have to wait for the next one, and the next one, until there is space. During our stay, with temperatures outside above 90 degrees and no shelter or benches at trolley stops, it was NO fun.

Antwerp, Belgium
20 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 25 helpful votes
“great way of seeing Boston!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 July 2014

what a great way of getting to see the sights of Boston when you're constrained in time. We had Giovanni as driver / guide which was wonderful. He has an accent but uses it in a great way.
we had a blast riding with him. They have only one tour but it passes all the sights of Boston. when you stay on the trolley like we did you can see everything within half a day.

I would definitely recommend it to anyone going to Boston!

Glasgow, United Kingdom
“Boston tours”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 July 2014

We had a great time on the trolley buses and learned a lot from the drivers. The salespeople were extremely helpful and polite.The Boston Tea Party experience was great fun and we really enjoyed it . We would have absolutely no hesitation in recommending these tours to others . A great experience !

Visited May 2014
Mandan, North Dakota
“Boston Old Town Trolley”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 July 2014

The drivers of the Old Town Trolley tours in Boston were FABULOUS! What a great way to see such an historic city. Our driver was a native Bostonian and shared stories with us that we normally would not have heard! I would recommend the trolley to families, couples and singles that want to get around the city and see all the main sites at their leisure. Thanks Old Town Trolley!

Visited March 2014