“Oversized shower -- plenty of room for two”

Renaissance Boston Waterfront Hotel
Ranked #36 of 83 Hotels in Boston
GreenLeadersSilver level
North Wildwood, New Jersey
“Oversized shower -- plenty of room for two”
Reviewed 21 April 2012

Yes, the shower might have been the best thing about the room. Lots of room for extracurricular activities. The room layout was great too: two queen beds facing a swivel TV and then a living area with chairs and a couch (see photos). The hotel scored some points from me for having my favorite toiletries (Aveda rosemary mint shampoo). The shuttle to the airport was on-time; it runs to the airport on the half hour. The only problem was that the door handle didn't work properly -- as you closed the door, the locking mechanism extended so you couldn't close the door (see photo). I told the front desk, so I'm sure it's fixed by now.

Room Tip: Go for the two queen beds instead of one king
1 Thank movieglue

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (280)
  • Korean first
Tulsa, Oklahoma
Reviewed 20 April 2012

Right off the highway and easy to access with self parking across the street. This Renaissance is clean and comfortable, including a nice fitness facility and concierge lounge.

1 Thank cdoctor2
Atlanta, GA
Reviewed 18 April 2012

I stayed at this hotel for Boston Marathon weekend. It was very convenient to this years expo location and the T. The hotel was clean and my room was quiet and comfy. The desk staff went above and beyond to ensure we had a good race. I inquired about T station hours to get to Boston Common in the morning. The front desk later called my room to inform me that the hotel was providing a shuttle to Boston Common race day.
I was most impressed by the housekeeping staff. Shortly after I checked out, I realized that I had forgotten my sunglasses from the room. I went back to retrieve them and a housekeeper named 'Xi' came to greet me. She had my sunglasses and $341 cash that I had put in a drawer and didnt yet realize that I forgotten. I am impressed that all my money was returned and Xi wanted to refuse any tip. Its nice to know that there are still honest people in this world! We would definitely stay here again!

• Stayed April 2012, travelled as a couple
3 Thank ponydoc
Minneapolis, Minnesota, United States
Reviewed 12 April 2012

Well located close to convention center within walking distance. 3 blocks. Close to harbor and several nice restaurants. Would definitely stay there again. Price is a little high.
Very nice pool for laps. Health club well equipped.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled on business
1 Thank Deepfin
Montreal, Canada
Reviewed 11 April 2012

This hotel is easy to access and has two parking lots right at the corner so you could leave your car during your stay and use the local transport. However, it is not close to downtown by walk so you have to take either the bus or the subway. The hotel is quite clean. There is a Starbuck beside the lobby for a breakfast on the run.

• Stayed September 2011, travelled with family
2 Thank Nina511
Denmark
Reviewed 8 April 2012

An expensve hotel but close to "everything": Convention center, downtown and waterfront. Excellent breakfast buffet (25 USD per person, though).

Room Tip: I stayed at 14th floor (#1417) and there was absolutely quiet during both day and night
1 Thank Viking-Danes-7
Syracuse, New York
Reviewed 5 April 2012

Because of my job and love of travel, I've had the very fortunate opportunity to stay in many hotels all around the world. Marriott-brand hotels have always been my first choice... until now. I should also say I don't consider myself to be very high maintenance (the only other bad review for a hotel I have written was when I woke up with a cockroach on my pillow).

When I checked in at 11am, the front desk person informed me they had a room with a king sized bed. I told her I had reserved a room over 2 months ago with 2 beds as there were four of us traveling together. She told me it was my fault. Strike One - I have the email with my reservation with 2 beds.

She then told me she would give us a complimentary upgrade to a junior suite where there was more room to fit two cots along with the bed. I figured that sounded like a good deal. Unfortunately, their idea of an upgrade is a room with one couch, and one pull-out couch. There was no bed. Seriously, I've never been to a hotel room without a bed, but I guess that's their idea of an upgrade. But like I said, we're not too high maintenance, so we didn't complain. It's just a place to sleep anyway.

She had told us at 11am she would have two cots sent up to us right away. By 2pm, still no cots. At 2, we were on our way out to explore the town, so we stopped by the front desk to ask again. She ensured us it was in the computer and the cots would be in our room when we returned. We returned at 11PM, twelve hours later from when we checked in. NO COTS. So we had one sofabed to sleep 4 people. Not acceptable. We called and they said they would send them right up. The worker showed up with one cot at 11:30pm. When we told him it was supposed to be 2 cots, he kindly explained that they were completely out of cots and if we had asked for one earlier, they would have had plenty to bring. Strike two.

So we called and the very young manager came up very apologetic. He said they would take care of it and at 12:30am, a second cot magically became available.

Still not the worst of my stay. My biggest issue with this hotel is their so-called security staff. We had spent a lot of money out at dinner and the bar, so decided to save some money and just grab some beer to bring back to our room and watch the NCAA tourney games. We were walking through the hotel lobby toward the elevators (not making any noise or causing any issues, keep in mind) when we were literally accosted by their hotel security. Our personal items physically ripped from our arms. In fact one security guard jammed the elevator doors open and began yelling at us in front of the other guests. Of course we're wondering what the heck was going on. The security officer then told us it was against Massachusetts state law to have alcohol in their hotel because they have a liquor license. Strike three - flat out LIE to my face.

I explained to them that it is not against state law, it may be the hotel policy, but there is NO state law about having alcohol in a hotel guest's PRIVATE room. Only in public areas such as the downstairs bar. They insisted it was the law and that they could lose their liquor license. So I pulled the laws up and I read the liquor laws/liquor licensing requirements of Massachusetts (verbatim) to the manager and explained it's only in public areas of the hotel and we did not have any open containers in the lobby. It suddenly became just a hotel policy.... so why couldn't you just say that??

So after being yelled at in the lobby in front of all the other guests like children, having our personal property ripped from our hands, they then decide to call the cops on us because we got angry at them for lying and embarrassing us. Strike four - unnecessary and making more of a scene.

I admit, one member in our party did get loudly upset with the staff, but later apologized (unlike their staff). Interestingly, when the cop came, we asked if what we did was illegal, and he stated NO. They also would not give us our property back (we tried to at least go put it in our car) and said that if we wanted it back, we could check out. Strike FIVE - I am a PAYING guest. I have received nothing but disrespect and embarrassment from your staff. And if it wasn't 1am, I probably would have demanded my money back and checked out at that moment.

About two minutes after we returned to our room, the security staff AND the cop showed up at our door and said they were getting noise complaints about us. We weren't even in the room long enough to for them to get calls about us, nor were we making any noise more than talking. And last time I checked, state troopers don't go on noise complaint calls. Strike Six - harassment.

The next morning, the manager again apologized and gave us a whopping $50 off our bill (not enough for what they put us through). I explained to him that I did not care if it was their policy to not allow alcohol on the premise because they want people to buy alcohol at their bar, but I do not appreciate being lied to, accosted by their security staff and embarrassed in front of the other guests, and treated like garbage. If they had just come up to us and told us it was their policy, we would have just thrown it in our car and life would go on. He said maybe they went about it the wrong way. You think???

I'm soo disgusted with this hotel and honestly confused that they even think it's okay to treat guests like this. I am currently trying to get in touch with Marriott Customer Care. I've called and left messages but still waiting for their return call. On a side note, I called two other Marriott-owned hotels in Boston. Both admitted it was a hotel policy but only because the company wants people to buy alcohol at their bars....

• Stayed March 2012, travelled with friends