“Great staff, Decent location, good hotel”

Renaissance Boston Waterfront Hotel
Ranked #43 of 84 Hotels in Boston
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed 23 June 2014

Access to the Renaissance from Logan Airport is easy. However, the Silver line uses the main thoroughfares, and not the T underground, so will be busy and time consuming during peak hours. Easy walk to the North End/Quincy Market, 15-20 minutes, and access to various Legal Seafood entities are just around the corner. Getting around using the T is a multiple hop event. Going to Fenway required the Silver line to South Station and then the Red line and then the Green Line. Did not take all that much time but you have to change trains. The front desk staff and concierge were wonderful and helpful, giving you maps and providing great directions. Room was clean and comfortable. Did have one morning where we heard the planes taking off from Logan. The bar was nice with seating in the bar area and other more comfortable seating in an adjacent area. Did not eat at the hotel but they have a full restaurant and a Starbucks in the hotel and there is a Dunkin Doughnuts and deli around the corner from the hotel. Checked out early Sunday morning and cabs were waiting curbside. The weekend was designed as a get together with friends for good food and a couple of Red Sox games and the Renaissance worked well for our purposes.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with friends

Reviewed 23 June 2014

This was my first trip to Boston. I was recommended this hotel by a coworker. First off, the property is very nice and updated. There is a restaurant, bar, and Starbucks in the lobby, but there are plenty of restaurants literally steps away from the hotel. If available, request a room with a water view. The other rooms can have you looking at some pretty ugly industrial buildings. We drove, and paid to valet which was pricey at $46 per night. But I liked being able to go in and out. There is a cheaper lot around the corner that's about $34/night, but no in and out. Location wise, we were able to get to all the touristy stuff within 15 minutes by car. There are also plenty of cabs hanging in that area, so it would never be difficult to get one if needed. I also am pretty sure the T Stop is about 10 minute walk away as well. If you're a business traveler, just FYI no free wifi in the rooms.

Room Tip: Ask for water view
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled with friends
Reviewed 21 June 2014

The hotel staff are lovely, the rooms are clean, the beds are comfortable HOWEVER..........

The sound insulation in the rooms on the 6th floor is simply terrible. Sleep is disturbed by the planes taking off early in the morning and late at night.

And if you want an early night, and there are guests in the adjacent room then when you lay in bed you can hear them talking quite clearly as you can the TV.

I was lucky as I was there on business so up early and back in late. I am sorry to say there is no way I would stay for a relaxing weekend as you would not be able to go to bed early or have a lay in as you would either be woken up by the planes or neighbouring guests.

If on the other hand you are visiting to party and enjoy the night-life then this is the place stay as the location is awesome.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled on business
Adam M, Front Office Manager at Renaissance Boston Waterfront Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 25 June 2014

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience with the Renaissance Boston Waterfront Hotel. I apologize that your recent stay was negatively impacted by noise and appreciate your feedback.

I was encouraged by your positive comments regarding our team here at the hotel and the cleanliness of the rooms. If you return to us in the future, please do not hesitate to mention at check-in your previous experience with noise. We are happy to accommodate requests where available for corner rooms. (Some of which do not have adjoining rooms)

Thank you again for your input and for giving me the opportunity to respond. We hope to serve you as our guest again soon.

Reviewed 21 June 2014

Stayed at this hotel several times for business. Front desk staff is very welcoming and provided maps of the area along with a quick check in. Rooms are nice with a modern vibe - lots of plugs coupled with a good sized desk allows me to get work done. Walls are a bit thin especially if you have an adjoining room. I could hear the conversations of the occupant next to me and I'm sure he could hear mine. Bathroom also makes a weird echo noise because of the floor to ceiling tile and shower door. Otherwise, all the quality and amenities you would expect from a Marriott brand hotel.

Was a little bit difficult to get a cab outside but I was looking for one during rush hour and that's often a challenge anywhere in the seaport at that time of day. Hotel is very close to lots of great restaurants and two stops on the T's Silver Line. Wouldn't recommend this hotel for tourists as you're not very close to many of the Boston sights. But business travelers, convention center attendees can't go wrong with this location. Rooms here seem to fill up quickly, so if you're up in the air about plans book a room anyway. You can always cancel the reservation.

Room Tip: If you're concerned about noise, ask for a room that doesn't adjoin.
3  Thank EBHtravels
Reviewed 19 June 2014

I stayed at this hotel while attending a conference in Boston.
The hotel is located in a very nice area close to the water, nice restaurants, the airport, subway line and the conference center.
The hotel personnel at the reception is very attentive and efficient.
But the cleaning personnel requires management attention for a hotel of this category.
The day before my departure I asked for a late checkout until 1PM since I intend to finish the conference at 12PM the next day, go back to my room, take a shower and change my clothes before heading to the airport.
Considering that I was going to checkout that day I left the "DO-NOT-DISTURB" tag on my room door since no cleaning service would be required before my departure that day.
For my surprise, when I got back to my room around 12:15PM the cleaning personnel had already entered into my room and removed but not replaced all the towels as well as soap and shampoo, in spite of the "DO-NOT-DISTURB" tag, so I could not take my shower as planned.
During checkout I reported that to the front desk and they apologized and offered to credit points to my account to compensate for this mishap, which was a nice gesture.
Nevertheless, the cleaning personnel has to be better trained for understanding that a "DO-NOT-DISTURB" tag means that they should not enter the room. Period!

Room Tip: Ask for the ones facing the water
1  Thank Bob_Creek
Kelly S, Guest Relations Manager at Renaissance Boston Waterfront Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 21 June 2014

Dear Bob,

Thank you for taking the time to review your recent stay at the Renaissance Boston Waterfront. We sincerely appreciate the positive remarks about the staff at the reception desk.

We take these comments very seriously and regret the housekeeping service did not meet your expectations. I can assure you that I have shared your experience with the housekeeping team and we have taken action to ensure this problem does not happen again.

Thank you again for staying with us! We hope you will allow us an opportunity to provide you with an exceptional guest experience when your travels bring you back to this area.

Reviewed 17 June 2014

Hotel is in a newly developed waterfront area. Recommend to have a higher floor room. The hotel is relatively new with good size room. The CL has reasonable supplies of food and drinks, compare to other comparable hotels in the US. There're a number of restaurants within walking distance. Will stay again.

Room Tip: Higher floor rooms with better view
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled on business
Reviewed 17 June 2014

This has been my second time staying at this hotel in Boston. I love the Seaport area and this place is in the heart of it all! I love going next door to the LTK and eating and drinking for a value. This hotel also has a great bar, the only downside is that they close around 12:30 PM :(

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family