“Convention Center Convenience”

Renaissance Boston Waterfront Hotel
Ranked #43 of 84 Hotels in Boston
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed 31 August 2014

Nice property with friendly employees and good service. It was an easy walk to the convention center from the hotel. If you aren't traveling to Boston for a convention, this one is a bit off the beaten path. Hotel lounge and restaurant were both good and there's a full service Starbucks in the lobby. The mornings mornings were noisy with flights arriving and leaving Logan. No sleeping in!

Room Tip: Many rooms have a water view
  • Stayed: August 2014, travelled on business
There are newer reviews for Renaissance Boston Waterfront Hotel

Reviewed 31 August 2014

We do not normally stay in the South End, but this was an overnight trip to take our daughter back to college, and the Renaissance offered the best price anywhere in Boston for a four-star hotel for the weekend, so we gave it a try. I am sorry we are not staing longer! The property itself is wonderful - stunningly decorated lobby, bar, and restaurant, beautiful large rooms with pleasantly contemporary decor, wonderfully comfortable beds, and spacious bathroom. Our desk clerk, Adam, was very friendly and gave helpful advice on nearby restaurants.Yes, parking is pricey, but I haven't yet found a place in Boston that isn't. We saved $12 by using the self- park option right around the corner, as we were not going to use the car until we checked out. We had a fabulous dinner at the Legal Sea Foods a block away- I do not get the complaints about how expensive the restaurants in this area are. Yes, the steakhouses charge steakhouse prices, but there are lots of more casual options, and the casual first-floor menu at Legal Sea Foods was delicious and reasonably priced. I was disappointed that the hotel does not even offer free wi-fi to members of its loyalty club, but we just used our 3G while in the room. I would stay here again in an instant!

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 31 August 2014 via mobile

Great hotel in the the new habour area of Boston.

Great restaurants nearby all reasonably priced.

Walking distance to downtown for freedom trail or hop on hop off bus tours.

In our 2 week east coast tour was the only occasion where wifi in room not free throughout hotel.

Free on lobby only - why ?

Breakfasts reasonably priced and great quality.

Stayed: August 2014
Reviewed 27 August 2014

After a long day of sightseeing, I planned to go to bed around 11 as I had an early flight the next day. My room, 516, was over the ballroom, which had a wedding. I felt like the band was in my room. They played until 12:30. The front desk was highly unresponsive. When I asked for the manager, they said she would call me, which never happened. They told me at midnight, that the band stopped playing at 11:30, which was obviously not the case. They were supposed to send security to "check out the noise" which never happened. They eventually took some money off of my bill, but did so reluctantly. I was exhausted the next day. I typically receive surveys after a hotel stay; interesting to note, they never sent one. Guess they don't want bad reviews! Word to the wise: request a room on a higher floor!

Room Tip: Select a higher floor to avoid noise from the ballroom.
  • Stayed: August 2014, travelled with friends
Michelle D, Front Office Manager at Renaissance Boston Waterfront Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 3 September 2014

Dear Katie,

Thank you for taking the time to review your recent visit to the Renaissance Boston Waterfront.
At the Renaissance we take great pride in providing our guests with an exceptional experience and it is evident from your comments that we overall fell short of achieving this goal. I am disappointed to learn that your stay was negatively impacted due to the volume of noise coming from our ballroom. Our initial ineffective response regarding your concerns reflects poorly on us. Please rest assured that I have personally shared your perspective with the entire team so that we may learn. Your valued comments have been instrumental in our efforts to constantly improve our service and product here at the Renaissance Boston Waterfront and for that we are extremely grateful.

Our guests’ complete satisfaction is something that we do not take lightly and we would be delighted to have an opportunity to exceed your expectations in the future. We look forward to your next visit to the area. Thank you for being our guest.

Reviewed 23 August 2014

We were looking for a hotel close to Blue Hills Pavillion so my daughter and 2 girl friends 17-19 years old could walk to the concert and over the bridge to Fanuiell Hall area. Location Perfect for this!
I had called the hotel a few weeks before to request a cot in the room( I do not usually travel with 5 people/ city hotels can not usually accommodate 5 in one room. We arrived a few hours before check in - I had no expectation that we could check in - but hoped we could leave our bags -They said the room they had for us was not ready - August is a very busy time and the hotel was booked solid - Not only did they check us in to an available room - they immediately brought the cot to our "new " room AND gave us a room on a high floor with a beautiful water view! The staff was pleasant and accommodating and made this trip with my daughter ( just before her 18 birthday) and friends very special ! Kudos to management to allow your staff to be so flexible - I am a loyal Marriott customer and this experience reminds me why!

Room Tip: Ask for a higher floor for water view
  • Stayed: August 2014, travelled with family
2  Thank Smalbany
Reviewed 23 August 2014

New or renovated hotels stayed at the club level rooms. Everything was great BUT the valet drivers need some work in common courtesy. I had a rental and pulled up to pick up my bags that the hotel was holding and was berated/yelled at by the valet b/c I couldn't park and run in to get my bags unless I was going to pay the valet fee. Maybe it's time to hire a new valet company. Gives the hotel a bad name.

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled on business
6  Thank Bill B
Adam M, Front Office Manager at Renaissance Boston Waterfront Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 25 August 2014

Thank you for taking the time to rate your recent visit to the Renaissance.

I regret that your stay was negatively impacted due to a poor interaction with our Valet team. We work closely with an outside company to ensure a consistent level of service throughout the hotel and I apologize that your experience did not reflect that commitment. Rest assured that your feedback will be utilized as a learning tool for the future. Thank you again for being our guest and we hope to serve you again soon.

Reviewed 20 August 2014

Friendly staff, step up from basic rooms. Located near water…true but...Faneuil Hall and the rest of the major attractions are a long walk away.
Nightmare as there was no water when we woke on Saturday morning. No fault of the hotel as it was reported to be a water main break. To their credit they did slide a letter under our door to alert us. Good news is the water service was restored but we were not told by the hotel. They could have programed their phones to do a robo call or message all the occupied rooms. But no. How would they handle a real disaster? Makes you think...
The Marriott at the Warf is a much better location.

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank ThePinkCar
Adam M, Front Office Manager at Renaissance Boston Waterfront Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 24 August 2014

Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel and your stay with us at the Renaissance. We appreciate your input.

I would like to extend my most sincerest apologies for the inconvenience you endured as a result of the unforeseen city water main break early Saturday morning. I can assure you that we place top priority on these incidents and our response, and your feedback is vital in our efforts to improve.

Thank you again for being our guest and we hope to see you again soon.