“One of the best hotels I have ever stayed at--hands down”

Renaissance Boston Waterfront Hotel
Ranked #43 of 84 Hotels in Boston
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed 12 April 2010

As a meeting planner, I travel a lot. I stayed at this hotel for a week, and not once did I not get top-notch service--every single staffer in the hotel, from the chambermaids, to the window-washer, to the front desk, to the restaurant staff, ALWAYS said hello, how are you, and smiled. Couple that excellent service with a stunning hotel, a super-clean hotel and it all equals an excellent stay. The food in the restaurant is beyond excellent, as is the room service and the food from catering/events. I had a group of over 250 persons at this hotel, and I only got one complaint--the mustard was not French's--it was actually a Sam Adams homemade mustard, with real mustard seeds (yum!) to be used for dipping pretzels in... he didn't like the "fancy city" mustard he said. The hotel manager should be proud of his staff, his hotel's services and the overall image this Renaissance puts forth... hands down, a terrific place, and I would come back again and again. I totally, whole-heartedly reccomend this hotel to other planners, corporations, business travelers and leisure travelers. One nice thing to note... this hotel could not be any easier to get to from the airport (via Silver Line to Silver Line Way stop) and you can get right from the hotel to the rest of the T system. EXCELLENT location, safe neighborhood, and stunning views!

• Stayed: April 2010, travelled on business
There are newer reviews for Renaissance Boston Waterfront Hotel

Reviewed 29 March 2010

I stayed at this hotel for a few nights recently because I was attending a conference at the convention center. If I had it to over I would stay elsewhere.. It was overpriced for what it is and what they give. If you need to be near the convention center, the options are limited and the hotel knows this. So, the charges are high. I think a more central hotel would be a better idea. After hours there is nothing around the hotel and you’ll need to take the T into Boston or end up with a boringish walk into town. After a screw up on their part they upgraded me to a better room and free breakfast in their lounge. Even my upgraded room wasn’t that great. The hotel is billed as water front but the hotel is really only facing the water on the short end not full on so the best you’ll get is partial view of the water. There aren’t all that many rooms that have even that. There is a whole wing of the hotel which faces the back and has no view whatsoever. The breakfast which I got for free because of their screw up was nice but should have come with all rooms at the rates they charge. Oddly, the hotel does not offer the breakfast on Saturday or Sunday. I am not sure why. So, the last morning of my stay there was no free breakfast. The walls of the hotel, like most, are super thin. I heard the tvs of both rooms next to mine and every word of the cell phone conversations of these rooms as well. Finally, here’s the most amazing thing, even though the hotel charged over 200 a night, they still charged 16 a day extra for internet access. Actually there is a 13 a night plus tax for semi fast internet and 16 plus tax for the faster internet. This to me is appalling. It brings new meaning to the term nickel and diming. All of the hotels near the convention center charged this extra rate for internet. The front desk clerk failed to tell me that the starbucks in the lobby gives their internet away for free. So if you stay here you can go to the lobby for free internet. They won’t tell you this. This place basically is a rip off. Too high priced, and then looking for extra money in things they should provide for free. Better value can be found in a more central location. If you must stay here make sure you try to get a room with a semi view or you’ll be stuck looking at the T sliver line tracks in a hotel that has water front in the name. Also, beware the not free internet. Lastly, the front desk will steer you to park at the apartment building next door for 30 a night but there is public lot next to the hotel on the other side which charges 10 a night. They will not tell you about that lot. Again, they are not helpful and probably get a cut from that higher priced parking. i'd stay somewhere else.

• Stayed: March 2010, travelled on business
1  Thank jcw721
Reviewed 19 March 2010

We got a great low rate on this hotel via an Internet site. The hotel is only two years old and still looks and feels very new. It is located in the completely renovated Seaport/Waterfront district of South Boston. It is only a few blocks from the new convention center, the federal courthouse, the Institute of Contemporary Art, and the design center. The silver line of the T is across the street. Unfortunately, the neighborhood is T or cab ride away from almost everything else in Boston. Look on a map before you decide to stay in South Boston. In a few years, it will probably be very trendy with more restaurants, bars, and apartments. As for the hotel itself, it has a real Starbucks in the lobby, a terrific concierge named Peggy, and an extremely friendly front desk staff. The beautiful shallow pool, whirlpool, and fitness center is in a secluded section of the fifth floor. Hallways and rooms have a modern, nautical design. rooms are extremely comfortable, airy, and clean. Our view was of the financial district as well as the water. Ask for a high floor with a view and you will not be disappointed. We self-parked in an underground garage in a new apartment building adjacent to the hotel.

• Stayed: March 2010, travelled as a couple
1  Thank StickerShock
Reviewed 17 March 2010

This is a beautiful hotel. It is very clean, the rooms are comfortable, and the staff goes out of its ways to be friendly. We got an incredible deal on priceline, but were still given a very nice room with a view of the water and city. The bed was very comfortable, and the pool, whirlpool, and gym were spacious and very clean. The only downside is the location. It was a 30 minute walk to Fanueil Hall. Public transport required the Silver T bus line to south station, and then a switch of at least 1 time to get to most areas. As a tourist, the hotel feels a little too removed from the heart of the city. But the incredible service and value of the property nearly offset it. As the area around the hotel further develops, the appeal will definately increase.

• Stayed: March 2010, travelled as a couple
1  Thank NYCandworld
Reviewed 12 February 2010

The location of this hotel might be a little out of the way, but it's a short, direct ride from Logan airport on the Silver Line buses. And if you want to go downtown, you can catch the Silver Line again to South Station and change trains there. The services will run till around midnight.

Since this hotel is quite newly opened, everything is very clean and in good condition. Rooms are spacious and have a wave/waterfront theme. I was given a room facing downtown and the World Trade Centre on the waterfront. Nice views.

Room cleaning service could do better though, as used towels and amenities were not replaced with a complete set and the bathroom mat was missing the next day after room was made. But overall room was still very clean.

Liked this hotel very much but very pricey! Although to be fair, hotels of this caliber in Boston would all cost around the same prices albeit at more convenient locations too.

• Stayed: September 2009, travelled solo
1  Thank S C
Reviewed 12 January 2010

My boyfriend and I bid on a room in the Boston south/seaport area on Priceline. We won the Renaissance Boston Waterfront for $80/night (Thursday-Sunday). I was extremely pleased with the hotel. The lobby is very modern and pretty. When we first checked in, the agent at the desk advised us that they did not have a king waterfront view available for us, which we understood. We got to our room on the 10th floor and found it had a view of the high rise next door. We also found that the deadbolt did not work. We called the front desk immediately and were moved up to room #1503, a king room with a waterfront view. We were a little confused as we were told 10 minutes earlier that no waterfront king rooms were available. The room was beautiful. I have zero complaints about the room. The bathroom shower was lovely (walk in with full length glass doors). We enjoyed the large flat screen tv and the big picture window that gave us a full view of the city, and of the waterfront. We used the hotel jacuzzi and pool twice and really enjoyed them. We never ate at the the hotel but did go next door to The Legal Test Kitchen on our first afternoon and had a wonderful lunch. Valet parking and internet are expensive, but consider this the cost of staying at a beautiful hotel in Boston proper. You are likely to find similar costs at any 3, 4, or 5 star hotel in a big city. We asked for late checkout on the Sunday as our flights were not until late afternoon. The hotel allowed us until 1 pm. A very nice gesture.

In previous reviews, I did see others mention that the walls were thin. I only experienced a noise concern on our last morning at the hotel. And to say it was a concern is really a stretch. If I was very quiet, and had the TV on mute, I could hear the couple in the room next to us. But under no circumstances was it disruptive or loud.

My one complaint (which is my complaint at any hotel) is that hotel rooms are never cool enough. I am a cold sleeper and the first thing I do in any hotel room is turn the temperature down to 65F or so. I still don't generally find this cool enough as there is almost always a lack of circulation in a hotel room. This is the second city in which my boyfriend and I have ventured out to a Walmart to purchase a fan. Seems silly, I know, but I am a very particular sleeper and I don't sleep well at all without good, cool air circulation. It would be great if hotels kept a fan available.

All in all, a wonderful 3 nights/4 days in Boston at the Renaissance Boston Waterfront.

P.S. Bring or rent a navigation system if you are visiting Boston and are unfamiliar with the city. Boston is truly a maze. You will most assuredly get lost at least once. A navigation system will get you back on track more quickly than if you are just using your own sense of direction.

• Stayed: January 2010, travelled as a couple
2  Thank havecurveswilltravel
Reviewed 8 January 2010

This was a long weekend break from the UK (...in December !! ... yes I know). Booked as a late deal with Expedia this was my first holiday with my new man and I wanted to introduce him to a city that I love :0)
The Hotel was fantastic, reception staff smile and talk to you like a human being. Concierge were very helpful and friendly, even offering us an umbrella when we ventured out to Quincy Market in the snow!
The bar staff make a wicked Mango Mojito at the very open and informal bar.
Bar snacks were tasty and plentiful and the restaurant served great food ( even if the decor was like a scene from the Waltons. Some might say cozy and snug.)

I would recommend this hotel, but compare the holiday market sites as booking direct with the hotel is not cheap. ( I got a bargain from the UK booking with Expedia.)

Back to the horizontal snow :0), I have never seen snow fall like it. The wind certainly blows in this part of town, but there are always very friendly cabbies happy to take you to wheere ever you want to go. All in all a fantastic place to stay.

• Stayed: December 2007, travelled as a couple