“WOW: Home away from home.”
Review of Gryphon House

Gryphon House
Ranked #5 of 37 Boston B&B and Inns
Reviewed 25 November 2013

My wife and I spent the weekend here to celebrate both our anniversary and her birthday. We live in Saratoga Springs but wanted the eclectic "lite urban" feel of Boston and Cambridge for a change in mid-November.

The Gryphon House has 360 degrees of classic charm, from architecture to furnishings and feel. Upscale without any gaudiness, we felt a homey pampering in every experience we had. After a day walking through the Fenway we looked forward to returning to sit by the fire before going out to dinner.

A fun staff and nice quiet other guests complete the trip.

A definite "keeper" for those who eschew the ordinary!

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Dan L
Teresa781, Owner at Gryphon House, responded to this reviewResponded 27 November 2013

Wow, back at you! It was great to have you both with us on such an auspicious weekend! :) You guys were wonderful guests. Thank you so much for such an amazing review!

Reviewed 24 November 2013

I stayed at Gryphon House for two weeks with my sister. It was not like staying at a hotel, not even a B&B. It was like staying at a very dear friend's house. Beautiful building, decorated with home like old furniture. Very friendly and nice people. During my stay I always felt the existence of a very thoughtful person, taking care of our needs even before we needed them. Her name is Teresa. Already she became a close friend. I cannot think of any other place to stay when in Boston.
İpek Nil

Room Tip: For travellers who avoid stairs, there is no elevator. They should stay in the basement rooms.
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank Ipek N
Teresa781, Owner at Gryphon House, responded to this reviewResponded 25 November 2013

Oh, Ipek, thank you! It was our pleasure to have you and your sister stay with us! And I do consider you to be dear friends of mine, now, too! It is people like you that have made my job fulfilling and pleasurable for over fifteen years, and to keep looking forward to the future. You were a joy! Thank you very much for everything!

Reviewed 14 November 2013

great location, huge nice rooms, generous breakfast! Boston hotels are very expensive, and most just large institutions. This is small, quiet, extremely large rooms in an area around Boston University and close to everything. The MBTA (subway) is just 2 blocks away and the whole area is accessible from there.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled solo
2  Thank RandyTMC
Teresa781, Owner at Gryphon House, responded to this reviewResponded 15 November 2013

Once again, thank you! We 're always glad to see you!

Reviewed 12 November 2013

My husband and I have stayed at the Gryphon House 5 or 6 times now and every stay has been a great experience. The rooms are reasonably priced compared to area hotels, they're clean and spacious and offer other amenities like the kitchenette in each room. The breakfasts are well stocked and my specialized dietary needs are always accounted for. The location is very convenient - 2 minute walk to the T, 7-10 minute walk to Fenway and Newbury Street.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank wintereclipse
Teresa781, Owner at Gryphon House, responded to this reviewResponded 14 November 2013

Wow! That's what we like to hear! Thanks for continuing to come stay with us, and thanks for the great review! Hope to see you again real soon!

Reviewed 6 November 2013

Clean, comfortable, spacious, nice character, good location.
Most of the chain hotels in Boston were sold out this week, so I tried out the Gryphon House. Glad I did. Everything was very nice. Rooms were well-appointed. I liked the fireplace, which was controlled with a thermostat on the wall. I was in the Morningside room, upstairs. It was very spacious. It was a little loud with some of the traffic. My colleague had the Sanctuary room downstairs, which I actually thought was a nice room. It had some nice dark wood and warm colors. Same deal with the fireplace. The sanctuary had a single bed in addition to the queen. Cool place.

Room Tip: go Sanctuary
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank ShayneFloyd
Teresa781, Owner at Gryphon House, responded to this reviewResponded 7 November 2013

Thank you very much! I'm sorry the traffic bothered you--Morningside, although beautiful, is our least quiet room, for sure! We do hope you'll return to stay with us again, and we'll be sure to give you a white noise machine to help out with any distractions!

Reviewed 11 October 2013

On a recent, and first trip to Boston, my husband stumbled across this B&B on TripAdivisor. We were extremely pleased with our room (North Tower) and the staff. We were there for 3 nights, and found the location excellent to access The Tube, and get around Boston. Teresa has made so many notes to help you get to places, whether walking, cab, or subway. We were on the fourth floor, and there is no elevator, so this may effect you decision, but it was nice to have so much space for an extended stay. I would definitely stay there again.

Room Tip: No street noise on top floor, that was mentioned by some. Great views of the Charles River from our...
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Tricia S
Teresa781, Owner at Gryphon House, responded to this reviewResponded 12 October 2013

Thank you, Tricia! It was our pleasure to have you guys stay with us! Glad you thought it worth the climb! We hope you will return again in the future!

Reviewed 6 October 2013

Easy to access from the airport via the "T" subway system. Very spacious room with refrigerator, sink, coffee pot, dishes, utensils (but no microwave). The bed was a bit hard but I'm used to a soft bed. Excellent reading lights (no 20 watt bulbs here) and comfortable couch and chairs. Big bathroom with both walk-in shower and tub. Continental breakfast of breads, fruit, cheese, cereal, eggs and juices. Fruit, tea and biscotti available all day. Very helpful staff who really made us feel welcome. It was a close walk to the "T" for all the Boston sights and was within walking distance for restaurants, stores, and park along the Charles river. Downside was the loud traffic noise but with my earplugs I didn't hear a thing.

Room Tip: Morningside: spacious with fireplace, couch, chair and reading lamp, refrigerator, sink, coffee pot...
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled with family
Teresa781, Owner at Gryphon House, responded to this reviewResponded 9 October 2013

So glad your overall experience was enjoyable! Your photos look great, too! Thank you very much for staying with us!