“Great location, bad room”

The Inn at Longwood Medical
Ranked #35 of 86 Hotels in Boston
Reviewed 14 December 2012

During a visit to Boston Children's, we chose to stay at the Inn at Longwood Medical for two reasons:
1) location - it's literally next door to the hospital
2) recommendation - the cardiac unit a BCH recommends it

Overall, our stay was adequate - the room was clean (thanks to a bizarrely persistent cleaning staff), the desk staff friendly and helpful. However, our room had a couple of issues.

The lesser was a bathroom with no visible means of ventilation. Not only did this mean turning the hotel room into a sauna after every shower - a cold sauna, which I'll address in my next point - but it also made for an unfortunate odor, given that we were traveling with a 2-year-old.

The greater complaint was that the room was drafty and cold. At some point, the windows had been screwed shut, but weren't fully closed when that happened. Not only could we hear every street noise outside our sixth floor room, but I could feel drafts when the wind picked up. We could somewhat remedy this by turning on the heater, but that led to a situation where it was sweltering hot inside to room, cold by the window, and the heater wouldn't shut off (because it was by the window).

Plus, sauna from the shower.

Talking to other guests, it seems that this is only our room; other guests did not have this issue.

• Stayed: December 2012
1  Thank BothellBoy
Write a ReviewReviews (1,213)

Reviewed 11 December 2012

Stayed here while visiting a college in Boston. Room was ok, but heat was on and couldn't see to shut it off - no lighting near controls. View nothing to write home about but it was convenient to stores, food, etc.

1  Thank floridaforever09
Reviewed 5 December 2012

My wife had to be at the hospital next door for brain surgery. We check in and although the hotel room was very nice, I was going to be there for over two weeks and wanted something a little bigger. I went back down to the front desk to ask for a bigger room, maybe one with a small kitchen. I met Mr. Davies at the front desk. Bill took me around to look at three or four other rooms in the hotel. Bill then asked me why I was in town and what was my concerns. I told him what was going on and that after the surgery we were going to have to stay close to hospital in case of complications for a while. Bill then said not to worry anymore and found me a much larger place to stay in the hotel apartment next door with the kitchen as well as two bedrooms. He made our stay at a hotel feel more like a stay at a second home. He may not be aware of the impact he made on my wife and I. If you need a place to stay while in this part of Boston I can not urge you enough to call Bill Davies and schedule a visit. The Longwood Grill as well as the Food Court is just downstairs so no real need for anything else.

Room Tip: They have apartments in tower next door. Awesome
2  Thank sushiforushi
Reviewed 4 December 2012

The Best Western Inn at Longwood Medical is my number one choice when I stay in Boston for my medical visits. The staff is friendly, competent and caring and the hotel is immaculate and comfortable. The Inn has a nice restaurant with good breakfasts and dinners ( and I suppose lunch, too). Parking is indoor garage, convenient , steps away from the lobby.
There are two Starbucks nearby and a Bertucci's if you need them.
This hotel is connected to a Food Court which is convenient because the food court is the link to an indoor route to Children's, Dana Farber, Brigham & Womens. You can get to your appt without even donning your coat!
Bring earplugs if you get a room on the hotel's facade--sometimes the night is pierced with ambulance sirens.
Every stay has been terrific which makes my medical appts much more bearable.
Ask for the "medical rate" if you have a patient record identification card.

• Stayed: November 2012, travelled on business
Review collected in partnership with Best Western
1  Thank KAREN B
Reviewed 1 December 2012

Our plans changed after we had made reservations- we needed to add another guest to our room- thus requiring a room change. The staff- manager, Giselle and front desk staff, Stephanie and Andrew were both friendly and helpful in making this happen. Throughout our stay, each member of the staff we encountered was the same- friendly and helpful! THANK YOU!

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled with family
Reviewed 27 November 2012

I stayed at the Best Western for several weeks due to a family member in the near by hospital. And for several weeks with my husband was was just discharged from the hospital. The staff in all areas was exceptionally service oriented and sensitive to our needs. I believe this flowed from the leadership of the top manager, Bill who clearly expected service and reponsiveness to hotel guests. Of particular note was a front desk staffer, Jenne, who watch and responsed to guest with the usual attention for their request and needs. The hotel was ideal for going to the hospital but also excellent for quick breaks to museums within several blocks and 15 min by train to downtown tourist spots. The food gallery was so convenient for quick meals. The rooms were very good and when there may have been an issue it was addressed immediately. Considering the reasonable price for a major US city in Sept/Oct. high season, the overall stay was excellent. I would recommend this hotel to others who may not even be using the medical facility.

Room Tip: Rooms on side facing hospital complex quieter. ( no pool could not adjust rating)
  • Stayed: October 2012, travelled with family
Reviewed 24 November 2012

Stayed here for almost 2 weeks while a relative was hospitalized at Beth Israel. Location was very convenient, only a block from the hospital (and numerous other hospitals as well). Had a floor on the 6th floor facing the street. Insulation to the street was pretty poor so the sirens from ambulances (which were pretty constant) were audible in hotel room. This was not a concern for sleep because I brought ear plugs (I would recommend this to anyone staying here). Bed was quite comfortable and there were plenty of pillows. The room furnishings were in good condition, room clean, not sparkling clean but clean enough. Bathroom pretty small. Toiletries were very minimal, only soap and shampoo, no conditioner or lotion at all. Hair dryer supplied. TV channels are pretty limited but as someone else noted in their review the internet here is lightening fast so I was able to watch some TV programs online. Maintaining temperature in the room was difficult, either too cold or too hot. It was also hard keeping the water the right temp in the shower (pretty variable). Continental breakfast quite nice, served by wait staff in restaurant downstairs. The hotel restaurant downstairs was surprisingly good, had several very nice dinners there. The food court next door was handy as was the CVS adjacent to the food court. I recommend Upper crust pizza and penguin pizza if you are looking for pizza delivery. There is a large movie theatre within walking distance which can provide some much needed respite from the stress of caring for someone in the hospital.
Overall, I would not hesitate to stay here again. However, if you are coming to Boston for tourism rather than medical services I would look elsewhere (not a convenient location to tourist activities).

1  Thank MsTenenbaum
Also consider these accommodations in or near Boston
Boston Hotel Buckminster
Residence Inn by Marriott Boston Back Bay/Fenway
The Verb Hotel
The Verb Hotel
#9 of 86 in Boston

Been to The Inn at Longwood Medical? Share your experiences!