“The service from housekeeping manager, Tony Arias, was extraordinary when he returned a toiletry bag with important medicines wh”

The Inn at Longwood Medical
Ranked #36 of 84 Hotels in Boston
Reviewed 25 November 2013

This hotel is across the street from Dana Farber Cancer, has special rates with free parking, is neat and clean. The friendly staff shows compassion and takes a personal interest in your well being and goes out if it's way to help it's clients. The Inn is located beside a food court and you can just go down the elevator to have your pick of food! I wrote this review, in particular with gratitude to the housekeeping manager, Tony Arias for cooperating quickly and courteously by locating my important item that I left in the room and getting it to my home 4 hours from Boston within 2 days. Bravo and thank you?

• Stayed: November 2013
1  Thank Marion135
Gayle S, General Manager at The Inn at Longwood Medical, responded to this reviewResponded 9 January 2014

Thank you for posting a review and the very kind comments regarding Tony. We are very proud of him and he has been with us over 12 years helping our guests and trying to make their stay a good one.

There are newer reviews for The Inn at Longwood Medical

Reviewed 12 November 2013

We stayed two nights at The Inn at Longwood and considering the price (almost $200 a night) not to mention $20 a day to park your car and breakfast not included -- I cannot recommend it. This was for a business trip for my husband, so the hotel cost was covered (otherwise I would have checked out after the first night).

Where do I even begin to try to explain how miserable I was staying there?!

The iron is CRAP! I had to iron my husband's clothes for his meetings and it leaked all the water out onto his shirt.

There were two queen-sized beds in the room, plus a table and two chairs, a dresser with a large TV on it and a desk and chair -- way too much furniture for such a small room and absolutely no floor space to put your luggage. What I think is absolutely hilarious is that even though they have the table and two chairs in the room, only two children could fit to sit at the table -- the chairs were completely pushed under the table and with a standing lamp behind the one chair and the dresser behind the other chair, there's no room to pull the chairs out!

The bathtub is not level with the bathroom floor -- you step up into the tub. What this means is that when you get out of the tub, you have to climb out. My teenage daughter actually fell out because she wasn't expecting such a large step. Meanwhile, the whole time you are taking a shower you are standing in two to three inches of water because it isn't draining correctly -- same problem with the sink. No fan in the bathroom, so the bathroom mirror is in a complete fog after someone showers. And the bathroom sink has no counter space to put anything more than your toothbrush. Getting ready in the morning was cramped and miserable!

I was awoken both nights from noise on the street. We were on the 5th floor; however, we could hear people talking and laughing outside on the street almost like they were in our room! I later realized that there are benches outside the lobby where people congregate to smoke and our room window was right above this area!

Maybe it was just the room we were in but I just cannot recommend this hotel!

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank kmusikdi

Very sorry you and your family had such a disappointing stay with us. This is not how we run our hotel or treat our guests. Thank you for trying us and for posting a detailed review. Comments have been shared with our entire staff. Please contact me direct at bstiglets@innatlongwood.com if you wish to discuss further or are planning on coming back to the area.
Please accept my apologies for being so tardy posting this response.

Reviewed 10 November 2013

We were traveling to Boston for a medical appointment for our child and relied heavily on reviews to determine where to stay because we have never been to Boston. We choose this hotel based off its proximity to the Children's Hospital and the price. These two things make this hotel the BEST option for any family traveling for a medical appointment. There are some other advantages and disadvantages for this hotel.

Location - The hotel is located about a block or less from the Children's Hospital of Boston. There is no other hotel closer to this hospital. Period. Not much more to say.

Room Rate - If you have a medical appointment, make sure you get proof that you have a medical appointment. You cannot beat the price of this hotel for a medial appointment. Awesome price.

Front Desk Staff - The front desk staff person was nice upon check in. He worked very fast even though he was checking me in and answering phones all at the same time. The hotel seems like it books up very quickly and I am assuming that again this is due to its proximity to the hospitals. So, if you know you have a medical appointment, schedule as far in advance as possible. One more thing, when we were asking a question to one of the night shift front desk staff she was very, very nice and actually gave my little girl a coloring book and small bear which was nice. My daughter liked receiving these small gifts.

Parking - Recommendation is not to check into the parking garage at the hotel until you are actually checking into the hotel. You can park in the parking garage directly across from the hospital. The rate is reasonable. We paid $10 for about 4 hours. The parking at the hotel is $20 per night in addition to your room rate. We would have thought that staying at the hotel would have been included in the parking - it is not. Also, it should be noted that you should not travel in a large vehicle and expect to park in this parking garage. The clearance for the entire parking garage attached to the hotel is 6 feet, 3 inches. So, no pick up trucks, no travel containers on top of your vehicle, large SUV's, etc. - you get the point.

Hotel - We read other reviews that said that staying higher helps to decrease the ambulance sound. We requested a higher room but were told that all the rooms were unavailable and were assigned to a room on the 5th floor on the front side (facing Longwood Ave). I must say that we only heard one siren for our one night stay so the 5th floor is not that bad. Our room (two queen beds) was clean and very nice. The thing that was not expected was how small the room actually is. When traveling with a family be prepared to feel like you are on top of each other. The bathroom is really, really small. And the tub is small too. The room is very nice and the location cannot be beat, but the actual size of the room is less than desired.

Food - The hotel is connected to a food court that has a McDonald's, Chinese food, japanese food, burrito station, a Subway, a Dunkin Donuts and a coffee shop. When traveling with a family, this food court is amazing. I think there were a stores for shopping beyond the food court but we did not explore beyond the food court. I want to note that there is a Starbucks directly across the street too. I want to say DO NOT WASTE MONEY at the restaurant affiliated with the hotel called the Longwood Grille and Bar. Just eat at one of the other restaurants in the food court and save your money or eat somewhere else. But there are no other restaurants within walking distance to this hotel. Read reviews on the restaurant and you will see that it is still operating only because there is no other options. You will see signs all over the hotel that say kids 12 and under eat free with each paying adult - which is appealing. However, the food and service in the restaurant was not worth the price. I ordered the steak tips with garlic mashed potatoes which would have been good had the steak tips been warm or hot when I got them. I ate them luke warm because I spent $15 on the meal. I think my meal was cold because our waitress seemed like she was more concerned with socializing rather than waiting on our table. We had to ask other waiters and the seating attendant to refill our drinks.

Other things to note about this hotel:
Banks - There is a Bank of America across the street.

Transportation - The hotel is located about 3 blocks from the Longwood Medical Stop on the green line of the T line in Boston. After our appointment and before our departure, we walked to subway station and did some sight seeing. So the hotel's proximity to public transportation is wonderful. There is also a bus line stop across the stree. Note, there is not a place to buy a ticket to get on the subway, you have to buy the ticket when you get on the subway at this stop. And you can only pay with cash when getting on. Once you get into the city you can reload your subway "Charlie" card with cash or credit. Note, that children 11 and under travel for free on the subway.

Room Service - Room service comes from the Longwood Grill and Bar restaurant. So, staying with my recommendation from above. Do not order room service. We waited longer than quoted time for food and was overpriced.

Overall, we would stay at this hotel again and will need to stay again when doing follow up checks for our child. Lesson's learned are not to eat the restaurant and maybe ask for a larger room (if available). Our rating is based off of location and price. You cannot beat these two things when it comes to this hotel in comparison to other hotels in the area.

Room Tip: Ask if there are larger rooms available or if all of the rooms are the same size, especially if you...
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled with family
2  Thank P M
Reviewed 10 November 2013

Honestly, it is the first time i write a very negative feedback on Tripadvisor. I stayed in this hotel for 2 nights during a business trip. Once arrived at the hotel, the entrance hall smelled just freshly painted. The room: extremely noisy (street, ambulances), difficult to regulate the room temperature with the outdated heater, holes in the curtain, small bathroom with outdated shower. One positive comment: the quality of the bed (matress) was good. It was shocking to pay $269 per night for this room.
Furthermore, i had breakfast at the Longwood Grill. Had to wait 5-10 min for the waiter. Quality of food was bad (fruit salad was not fresh).
Definitely, i do not recommend this hotel. It is a shame to pay so much money for poor quality.

Room Tip: If you have to stay there (close to hospitals), ask for a quiet room.
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank Anna H
Reviewed 7 November 2013

Definitely not a luxury stay, but if you need be in the major BWH medical area this will do. Clearly dated and in need of upgrade, they seem to try and maintain. Service is good. My toilet was in need of replacement without question. The food court is a nice touch and the available CVS is a serious plus. Breakfast in the dinning room was fine and burger with sweet potato fries was a plus (make sure the fries are hot). Would not go out of my way to stay here, but if you must, it does the job.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank William S
Reviewed 4 November 2013

This is our tenth time staying a t the Inn. This hotel is the best location if dealing with Dana-Farber Cancer Inst. , Brigham and Womens Hospital, or the Childrens Hospital. All three buildings are connected by interior bridges and the hotel is accessible through the Galleria Food Court which is only 20' feet drm the Dana Bldg. I have been going through extensive cancer treatment and find the location i a god send. Raining, snowing, cold weather NO PROBLEM. The hotel was once a Best Western but since going independent, are making many subtle fixes. The offer a special rate for medical patients and there families. You might find a minor flaw here and there, but the FANTASTIC STAFF and location is priceless.

Room Tip: if you want quiet, ask for a room in back not facing street.
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank Kensjr1
Reviewed 1 November 2013

I have stayed at the Inn at Longwood many many times, and I find the hotel staff to be helpful, professional, and kind. Everyday they encounter people going through the worst of what life can offer, and they are always gentle and sweet. Jenna, at the front desk is a breath of fresh air everytime I see her. I come into the hotel cranky and overwhelmed by the traffic and she always is able to make me laugh.
The staff at the restaurant, The Grille, is not as pleasant or professional, and the food is ok at best.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank sevenaem
Also consider these accommodations in or near Boston
The Verb Hotel
The Verb Hotel
#10 of 84 in Boston
Residence Inn by Marriott Boston Back Bay/Fenway
Boston Hotel Buckminster

Been to The Inn at Longwood Medical? Share your experiences!