“It really was a Dream stay at Aisling”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of Aisling

Aisling
Ranked #6 of 39 Boston B&B and Inns
Adelaide, Australia
“It really was a Dream stay at Aisling”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 May 2014

My stay with James and Dympna was exceptional. The room was a good size, comfortable bed and bedding, ensuite, wifi and cable TV. I was in the rear downstairs room, Duleek Opulent which, together with the front room, Mormod Sanctuary, had private entry into the house, access to a small kitchen with full size oven, microwave, fridge, sink and coffee pod machine. This was excellent as I used the oven to reheat food I had purchased during the day to bring back home :-) for dinner.

Jeffrey L mentions in his review the quietness of the rooms and hearing no noise from the adjoining room - thank you Jeffrey, I didn't hear anything from your room either :-)

As I was arriving very late evening, I initially enquired if I would be able to check in at such a late time - after midnight. Not only was this possible, but James collected me at the airport. As I had flown 3 consecutive flights taking in excess of 25 hours to get there, this was such a relief and much appreciated.

Breakfasts: what more can be said that hasn't been mentioned already? Every morning was a new treat of something specially baked by Dympna. Every breakfast was 3 courses, with muffins and bread on the side. The teapot and coffee pot were consistently replenished. Most days I would not even think about needing something to eat until mid afternoon.

Sitting around the lovely dining table with subtle classical music in the background with James and fellow guests having discussions about different cultures and experiences was something that you just don't get in hotels.

James and Dympna provided useful information about how to get around using the various bus services only a short walk away. On their advice I purchased a Charlie Card and travelled to Harvard on my first day and then around Boston city for the remaining 2 days. The best attraction I visited was at the Boston Tea Party Museum which was very entertaining, interactive and historically informative.

On my last morning, James co-ordinated my departure via train and fellow guests to the airport which was very much appreciated by all.

If anyone is contemplating a BnB stay in Boston, this is the place !!

• Stayed May 2014, travelled solo

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (50)
Albuquerque, New Mexico
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 May 2014

Overall: My wife and I stayed at Aisling for 3 nights in the Murmod sanctuary. It is in the front of the house with a simple access to the front (Concord St.). The room was very clean, had a nice bathroom with shower (no bath) and a nice couch to sit on. There was good wifi and a flat screen tv with cable although it was not HD.

The hosts: James and Dympna are very nice hosts. Dympna runs things and spends time talking with the guests in between food servings. James is the person who chats with you throughout breakfast. Both are very personable and go out of their way to help you find things in the city and feel at home.

The food: Excellent meals every morning from cereals, quiche, frittata, coffee/tea, fruits, and many other creations. You won't go hungry and won't feel like you've eaten a lot of heavy things.

How Quiet?: Occasionally we could hear footsteps above us but not really of notice. People would pass by outside about once per morning and you could hear them talking but also hardly noticeable. I rarely heard traffic and never heard any of the other rooms including the one next to ours.

Location: Centrally located in the South End of Boston. There was easy access to the bus system (T) in Boston. The stops were less than a full block away. You can take the Silver Line 5 to get to Boston commons, freedom trail and touristy areas. The #1 bus will take you close to Fenway and over to Cambridge/Harvard. Charlie cards are the best way to go bus or subway.

My wife and I used the Hubway system to rent bikes and ride around the city. It was $6/bike for 24 hours and you can go from location to location for that cost as long as you check in at least every 30 minutes. Great way to get a feel for the city.

Other: James took us and our other guest to three different places at three different times on our last day there. He and Dympna really went out of their way to accommodate our schedules and needs.

Conclusion: We will be back!

Room Tip: Murmod had nice windows to the front street and wasn't noisy.
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
Montreal, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 May 2014

Others have sung the praises of the Aisling House here before – the beautiful historic setting, the lovely and comfortable rooms, the ideal location in South Boston, and the scrumptious and plentiful breakfasts. We can certainly vouch for all of the above. But the experience of staying here went far beyond. Our hosts, James and Dympna, were simply the most gracious and charming B&B hosts we’ve ever met.

Just a few examples: Dympna emailed in advance to offer a pick-up at the airport, and when we told her we were driving, reserved a free parking space for us. We were greeted warmly by name – an especially welcome touch for those of us with difficult-to-remember names. James took the time to help us determine the best way to get around the city, and even recommended art exhibits that might be of interest to us. Our slightly odd breakfast time requests were accommodated without hesitation. Our room was stocked with interesting books. We were introduced to our fellow guests as if we were all old friends, and it made us feel like we were staying at Fawlty Towers (in the best way possible). We thoroughly enjoyed chatting with our hosts who are kind, patient, inquisitive and interesting. Through their obvious attention to details, James and Dympna have created an exceptionally cozy and inviting atmosphere that I think every B&B traveller hopes for.

Oh, and the wi-fi worked perfectly.

Highly, highly recommended.

Room Tip: We stayed in the Salthill room for 2 nights and then moved to the Dunkleek Opulent room. Both were c...
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank SpiceC1916
Detroit, Michigan
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 April 2014

We stayed in Boston during a university tour with our teenaged daughter over her spring break, and the South End is a perfect location, near all the major universities. Aisling is everything you hope for in a B&B. A charming, historic home, clean, cozy, comfortable accommodations, great location, and wonderful service. But what really sets it apart are the two wonderful people who share their home with you, Dympna and James. If you've read the previous reviews, you know her home cooked breakfasts are legendary (deservedly so), and I cannot imagine a nicer way to start the day when away from home, than with such gregarious and engaging people. We were fortunate enough to share our mornings with another couple from Australia as well, and it could not have been a more pleasant experience. It was also a wonderful place to return to after a hectic and exhausting day. The home is quiet, and the beds were comfortable with the lovely white linens you like to find at a B&B. Two notes of caution if you are not used to staying at a B&B: There are stairs to the entrance and to most, if not all, of the rooms, although James is very willing to help carry up the luggage. Also, the home is located in a more residential area, so it is not easy to hail a cab from off of the street. Public transportation is available just around the corner, and the hosts are very knowledgeable in helping you navigate it. Unless you are already very familiar with Boston, I do not recommend driving in the city. This is just a lovely place to stay--you will not be disappointed. A Boston gem.

Room Tip: If stairs are a concern, be sure to ask about it.
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
Bowie, Maryland
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 April 2014

My new fiancee and I stayed for two nights, and I've never felt so comfortable on vacation. We had surprisingly good weather, and the hosts were absolutely fantastic. We've been back home for a week and are still raving about the breakfast, plus the hosts were genuinely interested in who we were and where we were from. We spent a lot of time just exchanging stories and talking about good places to see in and around Boston during our short stay. They had good suggestions both for food and tourist spots. I was a bit anxious at first meeting them because I wasn't sure how a lesbian couple would be received, but they immediately asked about wedding plans when we said we were engaged, and treated us just like any other honored guests. I can't imagine staying anywhere else in Boston than this charming brownstone with such wonderful people.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Kelley L
San Antonio, Texas
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 April 2014

My two nights at the Aisling Bed and Breakfast were comfortable, quiet, lovely, wonderfully situated in the fascinating South End of Boston. Many good restaurants, pharmacy, bakery, etc. within a few blocks. But the best -- the splendid delicious imaginative breakfasts, so graciously served served by Dympna and James - kindest hosts one could find in all the world. Stay here if you want to feel lucky!

Room Tip: Even the front room, where I stayed, was very quiet at night.
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled on business
2 Thank naomi n
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 April 2014

We spent a delightful weekend here at the Aisling Bed and Breakfast in April 2014 during our first visit to Boston. If you read any of the reviews available you will soon learn that the location is perfect. Just a few steps from the front door, the Grey Line bus will take you to all of the central Boston historical sites. The home itself given its age and history is absolutely charming as are the fully equipped rooms. We stayed in the Marmod Sanctuary on the ground level. Dympna’s breakfasts are over the top! There is something there for everyone’s taste. What we appreciated the most however was the larger than life personalities of James and Dympna, our Irish hosts. They couldn’t do enough for us! If part of the B&B experience is interacting with truly interesting and hospitable people, this is your spot.
Larry and Pierina