“Good location and room but let down by sleep quality”

The Boston Christopher
Ranked #18 of 38 Boston B&B and Inns
Manchester, United Kingdom
“Good location and room but let down by sleep quality”
Reviewed 20 October 2012

We spent a while looking at various types of accommodation in Boston, and we went for the Grand Studio (number 8) at the Boston Christopher based on the location and that the hotels were mostly out of our price range.

The location is great, lovely part of Boston with picturesque brick town housed streets and some nice cafe's and restaurants nearby, only a short walk to the Prudential centre where you can get the subway practically anywhere.

The public areas of the Christopher are a bit tired, the carpet is worn and it needs redecorating. If you struggle with your luggage you should make sure you get a lower level floor, our room was up 3 flights of stairs and there is no lift. The rooftop terrace has excellent views of the skyline.

We loved the look of our grand studio apartment and we found the bed quite comfortable. Overall the apartment was well equipped and they give you enough towels and toiletries for your stay. The staff are always available to call if you have any queries and they were very helpful.

The bathroom, however was a little dated and didn't match the decor of the rest of the apartment, it really needed updating.

The whole apartment needed a really good clean. We found quite a lot of hair on the floor in the bathroom and studio that wasn't ours which was a bit unpleasant, and not something you would expect when paying quite a high price for an apartment. The kettle had rust inside, and we had to wash everything properly before use.

The other thing, as mentioned below, is the noise. We had 3 days in Boston, so we were out all the days we were in the city, just coming back to relax, get changed and then come back to sleep in the evening. So, for us, having arrived jetlagged, the sleep was important.

Our fridge was incredibly noisy. Every time it turned itself on to cool down in the night it woke me up, and you can hear the pipes when other people are having showers or flushing the toilet. We didn't hear much noise from people talking in other rooms but we may have had quiet neighbours. Given that we spent all day out and about and were sleeping badly, we were shattered when we left Boston!

Overall, we would definitely return to the Back Bay/South End area, but would look elsewhere for accommodation.

Room Tip: Don't choose room 8, or if you do, turn the fridge off! Choose rooms on lower floors if you stru...
  • Stayed September 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank duncb

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (19)
The Hague
Reviewed 10 October 2012 via mobile

No sound insulation between units - you can hear every sound, every word. Never saw / hear anything like this. There was also a fridge which had to be plugged put at nite due to the amount of noise. Severely rationed tolietries.

• Stayed August 2012
1 Thank Jelle71

Travellers are raving about these Boston hotels

McKinney, Texas
Reviewed 8 October 2012

Our friend booked this as a B&B, however, there was no breakfast at all!
The room was small...neighbors heard easily through the wall. The shower barely released enough water to get you wet! The refrigerator made lots of noise, and the bed was so uncomfortable that it gave me a backache!

• Stayed October 2012
3 Thank BruceMcA
Boston, Massachusetts
Reviewed 31 August 2012

Given the high cost of this place, I would say it's not worth it. When I arrived (on a hot, humid august evening), I entered my studio to find it too hot to sleep in, and I also discovered that I couldn't control the AC from my own apartment (one of the other apartments controlled it!!) The apartment was clean, but not kept as clean as I'd expect at a hotel of a similar price. In addition, in the middle of my stay, they changed the code into my apartment all of a sudden, without clear reason! Last but not least, for some reason I kept getting telemarketers calling the phone number in the apartment. It wasn't an unbearable place to stay, but would've perhaps just spent a little more on a hotel.

• Stayed August 2012, travelled on business
1 Thank snap_pea
Atlanta, Georgia
Reviewed 18 June 2012

I stayed in two different units of the Boston Christopher during a recent conference. First a studio unit and then a one bedroom unit when my room-mate arrived. They sent the door codes in advance, which worked well. The walk to and from the convention center wasn't a problem-in fact it was quite delightful walking past a park and some very well-kept brownstones.

Studio (unit 9) was a third floor walk-up. The stairs are a bit steep, especially when hauling a large suitcase, a 4 ft long rolled up poster and a tote bag. The unit was immaculate, well-decorated, and cute. The kitchen was well appointed and came in handy for making tea and reheating leftovers for breakfast. The bed was comfortable and the internet worked beautifully. Size-wise it was only slightly larger than the typical hotel room. The only complaint I had was that there was no desk. Yes, there was a small table with two bar stools but it was too tiny to spread out on and bar stools aren't the best thing to sit on when you have some writing to do.

Unit 4 (one bedroom with pull out couch). It is beautifully decorated, spacious, overlooks the street and has a gas fireplace (which can be used in the winter). My roommate reported that the sofa bed was comfortable...the first night however, she had only a bottom sheet for the sofa bed, extra pillows off my bed and the extra blanket from the closet. We discovered the problem about 9 pm and there was only one staff person in the main office so she directed me to go to the laundry area and told me where they stored their extra clean linen. The only problem-the storage area was locked! My roommate made do with what we found in the room and the next day they provided a complete set of linen including extra pillow cases and pillows.

The breakfast area was larger than in the studio, but again you'd be stuck sitting on a bar stool if you wanted to do any work at the desk.

They called me a week or two before the conference and told me that they had double-booked the room I was supposed to stay in on Sunday night and offered me a free one-night stay in a two bedroom unit at one of their other properties. Staff members were very helpful in terms of storing our luggage and even gave us a late check out on the last day so we didn't have to drag our luggage over to their main office for storage in the rain.

Room Tip: If you don't want to haul your luggage up several steep flights of stairs, ask for a lower numbe...
  • Stayed June 2012, travelled on business
Oakville, Canada
Reviewed 21 May 2012

Stay dates: May 14 - 18, 2012
Minutes from Airport: Approx. 25min in traffic, cost $30 with tip
Check in and Unit Condition: Access code sent by email, entrance way was well lit with instructions on how to use the key pad. I arrived in the dark. I was in unit #2. Had to walk up one flight of stairs. There were 2 other units on my floor (#1 & #3)
Unit #2: Key pad entry to unit. Unit was clean and smelled nice. Larger than I thought it was going to be. It had nice high ceilings. This unit could not be individually adjusted for temperature. There was a ceiling fan and small portable fan. Window opened but was not screened. From bedroom you could access a small rooftop sitting area shared with unit #3. You could access the very top rooftop sitting area with BBQ. Beautiful view. Slept well most nights. Bed was fairly comfortable. Very little noise from street as this unit did not face the street like unit #1. Person staying in Unit #3 had their t.v. on a little too loud the first night. They checked out the next day and I did not here the new tenant's t.v. There are a lot of noises as to be expected in an old building. Creaking water pipes, floors etc. Again, this did not keep me awake. I was up early and left by 7:30am most days, came back at noon for lunch. Left again for conference, returning after 5:30pm. Did not spend a lot of time in the Unit. Internet access was great although at times when I was using Skype to talk to my children it was too slow for the video feed.
Surrounding area: Liquor store and 2 restaurants directly adjacent. Across the street was a convenience store. The surrounding area is beautiful and I enjoyed my walk to the Fairmont Copley Plaza for the conference. It took less than 10minutes. W. Newton, across the street took you to the Prudential Shopping Plaza, past St. Botolph Inn. The Hynes Convention Center could be accessed through this shopping center.
Conclusion: Would definitely stay in this unit again and recommend it to my friends. The hotels nearby are so expensive. By staying here I easily saved over $100/night. A few cons: Bath tub needs re-caulking and could have used some coat hooks at entrance way.

Room Tip: I would recommend unit 2 as it did not face the street like unit 1. Unit 2 also had direct access t...
  • Stayed May 2012, travelled on business
wrexham
Reviewed 20 March 2012

We stayed here for 5 nights over the st patricks weekend. We chose the studio apartment and got this for 89 dollars a night. You pay 50percent of your total stay when you book this apartment and the rest two weeks before you arrive. When we paid the final amount you receive the main door entrance codes and your room number with another entrance code.
From the airport you get on the courtesy bus to the blue line station( cost 2dollars each) and you transfer to the orange line at state street station and get off at Back bay station. It is then about a 5minute walk from the station to the apartment. It is 2 minutes walk from the prudental centre. Next door to the apartment is a wine shop and a restaurant. Opposite is a mini supermarket and dry cleaners. Also down the road is charlies sandwich shop and a few little restaurants. It is in a great location and walkable to newbury steet, waterfront,quincy market etc.

We were apartment number 6, on the 2nd floor(no lift). Double bed, shower and sink, toaster mini oven, 2 ring hob, kettle,coffee machine, 2 fridge freezers, cockscrews, utensils,plates,pans, iron,hairdryer,ironing board,spare quilts + pillows, 42 inch tv with cable and a mini snack basket( don't expect loads). It was all in clean condition.

There is a brillant roof top terrace with tables,chairs and a bbq. The views were lovely. There is a laundry in the basement and free wifi(perfect to find places to go and maps).

I would recommend it to anyone and felt safe at all times. Felt like I had my very own apartment and we loved it!

• Stayed March 2012