“Chandler Inn is a dungeon!!”
Review of Chandler Inn

Chandler Inn
Ranked #73 of 84 Hotels in Boston
Reviewed 18 August 2008

My fiancee and I were horrified by the conditions of the Chandler Inn. Trust me when I say that the photos online are VERY deceiving. Our room was extremely small, dark, dirty, and scary. In addition, there was an odd, musty odor that made my stomach turn when we walked in. I didn't think it could get worse, but the teeny tiny bathroom was disgusting and the toilet paper roll left on the dispenser was an old roll with like 2 squares left on it!!! We wanted to check out immediately but there were no other hotels available for the weekend so we suffered through the first two nights. We asked for an upgrade if available and the staff was less than friendly and not helpful. On top of all this, the cleaning staff threw away some of our clothes in a bag we left in the room and we barely received an apology for it. The ONLY thing that was positive about this place is that when we thankfully had an opportunity to switch hotels, they did not charge us for the nights we didn't stay.

• Stayed: August 2008, travelled as a couple
4  Thank jmonicac
Write a ReviewReviews (1,152)

Reviewed 17 August 2008

I decided to stay at the Chandler because of their great website and claims of being a boutique hotel, unfortunately this was not the case. While there is a great little bar attached to the hotel the hotel itself was basically a 1 star at best. I have honestly stayed at nicer hostels with a bit better upkeep. My room smelled of old cigarettes and overall needed to be aired out for a few days. The bed had a rubber sheet over the mattress that squeaked every time you turned over and the bathroom was quite tiny, to the point of being uncomfortable.

The positives were a pleasant staff, great water pressure and a lovely neighborhood with great restaurants within walking distance.

Stayed: August 2008
2  Thank slwickline
Reviewed 11 August 2008

My husband and I searched for a hotel on Expedia for a 2 night stay in Boston and the Chandler Inn is located exactly where we wanted to be. Before booking on Expedia ($140 a night) I checked out the hotel's website and it looked like a completely different hotel. I assumed they went thru a renovation and that the photos on Expedia were old, so I went through with the reservation and requested a King bed. When we arrived, they had me sign in and on my reservation it was written in large letters "EXPEDIA". The elevator up to our room was done in all grey and opened up into a dingy stairwell from which you then enter a long hall to your hotel room. When we got into our room, Room 404, I was shocked by the size and look. It looked nothing like the rooms on the hotel's website. It was a creepy little room with stained carpet, very cheap furnishings, no luggage rack, no closet (just a tiny faux blonde wood laminated armoire), a polyester bedspread on a FULL-SIZE BED and a view of the office building directly across the street - out of one small window that was bolted shut and had an air conditioning unit that took up half the window. There was one outlet in the entire room and everything was plugged into it, so to charge a phone, we had to choose something to unplug. The light fixture in the ceiling gave off a depressing fluorescent hum and the bathroom was so tiny we couldn't put any of our toiletries in it, we had to keep them all on the only surface in the room - the small desk. The bathroom door had been painted so many times, that it didn't shut properly. We went downstairs and asked about another room as I had requested a King size bed, but was told they only had twins and queen-sized beds (ours was not a queen - but a Full...there is a significant difference). I suspected that they had "Expedia" rooms and that since we got a good price we were given this small, dingy room, but after reading other reviews, I guess they're all the same. I haven't stayed in such a depressing room since backpacking through Europe on a punishing budget. The only positive things were the location and the cleanliness of the room. One last note: it would be really nice if the older guys at the front desk were a little warmer; really, I mean, curt one-word answers don't cut it in customer service anymore. Just because people don't want to pay the truly outrageous hotel prices that seem to have become standard in the past few years, doesn't mean we deserve substandard customer service. Bottom line: I think we can all do much better than this hotel. At the very least, they should provide truthful representation on their website of the rooms they offer.

• Stayed: August 2008
3  Thank NYPartyWiz
Reviewed 6 July 2008

The hotel is located in South Boston, in a quiet area with many shops and restaurants. The historical area of Boston is not far (you can walk there in about 20min).
It can be a good choice for baseball fans as well: Fenway park (home of the Red Sox) is in walking distance.

Rooms are nicely furnished, with small bathrooms. They don't serve breakfast in the hotel, but it's not a big deal since there're a couple of good breakfast places in the nearby.

Good hotel, I'd suggest it.

• Stayed: June 2008
Reviewed 28 June 2008

The Chandler Inn is a nice hotel. It has a stylish lobby, with very nice staff who take care of you immediately. In addition, the staff are very helpful and knowledgable about the neighborhood and giving directions. In the lobby there is a great coffee/tea/hot chocolate machine. Next to this machine there are stairs but don't fear there are also two elevators. The room I stayed in, the standard twin, was a no frills room. It had everything it was supposed to have (which is listed on the website). The bathroom wasn't exquisite, but it was simple, like the room. My room had a window overlooking the street (beautiful!!).
Furthermore, it is difficult to find such a bargain in such an upscale city.
The simplicity and plainess of the Chandler Inn surprised me, and I enjoyed it. However, this may also repulse you. So it's not that the Chandler Inn is bad it is clean, safe, comfy. It's just a matter of perspective and preference.

*Note: When you leave the hotel, you have to return the key to the receptionist. It sounds silly, but if you ask why they will willingly tell you (it is a very sound reason).

• Stayed: March 2008, travelled on business
1  Thank sophia_m_m
Reviewed 8 May 2008

We've already stayed at one of Boston's pricier hotels. After searching through the internet, my husband found what seemed to be a nice place to accomodate our 3 night stay. Overall, the staff was attentive, our room SMALL(but clean and attended to daily...everything worked, by the way!), the neighborhood quaint and picturesque(great walking/running and so close to downtown...unbelievable!) There are nice restaurants and conveniences (though not FRILLY enough to pamper those with 'champagne and caviar' tastes) that dot the area. We're a FIT couple anyway so the hotel's proximity to what Boston has to offer was appreciated. We also appreciate a great value, good service and cleanliness. We're as fussy as anyone else, but we gave the Chandler Inn a chance and our experience there will hopefully be repeated next year. Yeah, it was good enough for us!

• Stayed: May 2008, travelled on business
3  Thank Traveler584
Reviewed 27 April 2008

This is my 3rd stay at the Chandler Inn. This time for 5 nights taking in a conference and some other business. I find it hard to understand the negative reviews this hotel gets. Sure, its a budget hotel - but you know that when you book it. With the Marriotts of the world @ circa $300 per night you are not going to get the Ritz for $150 per night in Boston. Regardless of what people have paid that is the 'going' rate. Don't use the hotels own site use one of the others - the rates are better.

Yes the rooms are small and the bathroom smaller. I understand the guy who said the rooms remind him of his college dorm - but they are entirely adequate. The location is great (5 minutes to Backbay station or 10 minutes to Boyleston) with cafes around the corner, a CVS across the road and pizza and other food within a few minutes walk. The neighbour pleasant and non threatening and the hotel is clean. I've always found the staff pleasant and helpful.

There appear to be some refurbished rooms (last time I stayed on the 8th floor in one) but I prefer the non-refurb room I stayed in the 1st time and this time as it has a desk. The free wifi works well but not, I guess, in all rooms as I've seen a few people sitting in the corridor with their laptops.

Lets face it you are not going to stay here if you are on a corporate expense account. But as a budget choice in Boston I don't see much not to like.

I'm back in Boston for another conference in June and have already booked my room.

• Stayed: April 2008, travelled on business