“Spectacular views”

Ranked #2 of 83 Hotels in Boston
Manchester, New Hampshire
“Spectacular views”
Reviewed 19 October 2008

Of all the hotels in Boston, this is the best. We've stayed at the 4 Seasons, Taj, Ritz, etc. and will now only stay at the Boston Harbor Hotel. Our lovely suite had a fabulous view of the harbor through nearly floor-to-ceiling windows. The beds were very comfortable, the linens first class, the staff (especially our bell hop, Jose) extremely accomodating. From check in to check out, service was exceptional. The location was perfect, since we planned a boat tour of the harbor and the ferry terminal is steps from the hotel (ferries also there for Logan Airport and Provincetown). A short stroll took us to Faneuil Hall marketplace with all its shopping and restaurants - the place to be on a warm fall day. We dined in the hotel restaurant Friday night - the unusual menu was interesting (tapas style but bigger portions) and service very good. However, there are better restaurants in Boston (Excelsior to name one). Still, a fine meal if you want to dine in. If you are travelling to Boston and want the best - you can't go wrong with the Harbor Hotel.

• Liked — Views
  • Disliked — Nothing!
  • Stayed October 2008, travelled as a couple
    • Check-in / front desk

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (566)
  • Korean first
Boston
Reviewed 9 October 2008

We stayed here on our wedding night in a suite. I preordered snacks for our room & a small breakfast for the next morning. We didn't get there till about 11:00pm, the valets/doormen are perfectly courteous & quick to open the doors. Front desk check in - very friendly & helpful.

The room was nice - didn't blow me away, but very nice (it is Boston so one does have to spend a good chunk of change for an amazing room at a 5 star hotel). Turndown service had already happened & our snacks were laid out just as I had requested. I didn't know what they had for room service & the person I spoke with just asked what I wanted - so I asked for Spinach Artichoke Dip, which they provided without problem! We also had some truffles, sparkling & still water, chips, veggies & fruit. They also provide Figi water & ice with the nightly turndown service, however on our wedding night & the first night of our weekend stay, they neglected to give us water for both of us, however the 2nd night they did. They also set out slippers for you.

The bathroom is decent, & I did appreciate the sewing kit, Shout detergent packet & mini Woolite Packet which I actually used! The towels were a bit rough.

Our morning roomservice came right on time & looked very presentable.

The NEXT weekend, we stayed there again in a smaller room - but we actually liked it better b/c it had a view of the harbor and the city! it was gorgeous. Everyone was nice. We ate at Meritage for dinner, felt a bit underdressed but the food & service was great. Next day we booked massages - very nice & the pool & locker rooms are very nice, we even used the pool & jacuzzi & they even supply shorts & t-shirts for you to work out in, or for guys to use as swim trunks, plenty of towels, robes, slippers, combs etc etc

We booked the "bed & breakfast" package which included valet parking & free breakfast at Intrigue - which was a very nice but standard breakfast buffet- but for the extra $40.00 per night - TOTALLY worth it.

Before our massages I was able to convince my new husband to book another night, we did & got to keep the same room and the next day at checkout the same girl was there & recognized us.

This is definitely the nicest hotel I have stayed in, we don't mind splurging for our wedding & plan to go back for our anniversary!

• Liked — Location, View, Service, Food
  • Disliked — Small complaint - towels weren't up to par, bathroom could have been bigger
  • Stayed October 2008, travelled as a couple
1 Thank BostonAdrianne
NW England
Reviewed 1 October 2008

We didn't get off to a good start because the hotel messed up our booking and it took over an hour to sort the room we had pre-booked.

The room we had, complete with harbour view was OK but the bathroom was small with no separate shower. For the price (over $700 per night) we would have expected a bigger bathroom with separate shower. The breakfast buffet was very good, as was the location for getting into the city. Staff attentive and gave good service.

• Liked — View and location
  • Disliked — Not VFM
  • Stayed September 2008, travelled with family
1 Thank Dr Neil G
VA
Reviewed 25 September 2008

The Boston Harbor Hotel is quite possibly the best Boston Hotel. The rooms are very luxurious, spacious and well-appointed. The hotel is classy and the room are also very quiet. Staff is polite, well-mannered, and attentive.

Bathroom, bed, sitting area -- all was perfect.

Not a single complaint.

Six stars in Boston.

• Liked — The room, the bed, the bath, the staff, everything
  • Disliked — Having to leave
  • Stayed September 2008, travelled on business
3 Thank FredTravelVa
Baltimore area
Reviewed 18 September 2008

Just a one night stay at the modern "old-world" hotel. Room was nice albeit smallish. Enjoyed the location right on the waterfront! Staff was pleasant and attentive. No problems at all.

• Stayed September 2008
2 Thank RPaulus
Albany, New York
Reviewed 6 September 2008

I live in upstate NY and decided to get away for a couple of days over the Labor Day weekend. We wanted to stay someplace on the ocean and we have two dogs, and found it's really hard to find someplace right on the beach that pets are allowed. So we decided to look at Boston because it's on the ocean and we though we might take a ferry ride (we learned that the Harbor Cruises do allow pets on the sightseeing tours). I was going to stay at the Residence Inn Tudor Wharf, which as a Marriott rewards member I knew would be consistent and good as usual. But it appeared to be a bit more on the river, and since we usually order take-out because of the dogs, we really wanted a room with the view.

I had been searching hotels in Boston and kept coming back to the Boston Harbor Hotel, but wasn't sure I wanted to spend the money for it. When I looked at their web site, I couldn't help but call the hotel to see what they might have available. The night before we were going, I was fortunate enough to speak to Debbie, one of the managers, who was extremely helpful and was able to give me a great rate in a Harborview room. I decided then that I would pamper myself and my husband, because we had been working really hard lately! Was I ever glad I did!!!

From the moment we arrived at the hotel, I would say SERVICE is the first word I could say about the hotel, and that word continued throughout our stay. I'm amazed at hotels like this where the people get to know your names, and even the names of our dogs as we took them in and out. When we got into our room though, I heard my husband say "Wow!" as he looked at the view. We were on the 8th floor which had an amazing view of the harbor and we could see the ocean beyond. I felt as though I could just sit there looking! But there was one glitch - the room we were in didn't have windows that opened, and I knew that some did, even if every so slightly, and I wanted to be able to hear the sounds of the harbor! Never fear - I called the front desk and they said there was an identical room right next door, and they moved us immediately.

That night we ordered dinner from their more casual restaurant and my husband said it was the best clam chowder he ever had. I had also inquired about staying a third night with Debbie, and she sent me a nice note back saying she would extend the rate. She was working at night so I never did get to meet her, but based on our phone conversations and notes, I felt like I knew her, or at least I knew that she was taking care of us as a guest.

The decor was beautiful, and the housekeeping staff was great as well as the bellhops, just everyone! We also both were able to use the pool, which is huge, and the whirlpool which was the best I was ever in (really hot and big). My husband also sprung for the deep tissue massage that was really something. It's so easy to get to the spa, you just take the elevator straight down without having to walk around the hotel in your swimsuit - that was a little plus I really liked.

Finally, the location is really nice.....very central to everything, including the wonderful new greenway that was marvelous for walking the dogs, but not as busy and crazy as the scene down by the Marriott LongWharf where we took the cruise. On the cruise I was able to see the location of the Residence Inn, and it looked very nice, but not like the view from the Boston Harbor Hotel.

Now I'm spoiled - if I ever go to Boston again, I'm going to want to splurge for this hotel!!! I can't recommend it enough.

• Liked — Pet-friendly, the view, the staff, the location, how nice it was
  • Disliked — Nothing really, I loved it all.
  • Stayed August 2008, travelled with family
3 Thank BB4th
Boston, Massachusetts
Reviewed 2 September 2008

My wife and I stayed at Harborside Hotel for a wedding this pass weekend. My,was I was empressed with the staff from checking in to house cleaning to the wait staff at the restaurants. We had a wonderful dinner at the Meritage on friday nite. We both ordered the Chefs tasting and Wine Pairing. What a wonderful experiance with a wonderful view of the Harbor. I would highly recommend this hotel for a romantic weekend.

• Liked — services and ambience
  • Disliked — nothing
  • Stayed August 2008, travelled as a couple