“Great Views of Boston Harbor”

Boston Harbor Hotel
Ranked #2 of 86 Hotels in Boston
Reviewed 7 June 2009

We stayed here for a special birthday and had a corner suite with great views of Boston Harbor. The suite was well appointed and very comfortable. The restaurant in the hotel the Meritage is excellent. You can also walk to the North End. The Boston Acquarium is also nearby. You need to walk a fair distance to get to the Public Garden and uptown to Newbury Street but in nice weather it's a nice walk.

• Stayed: March 2009, travelled as a couple
Write a ReviewReviews (1,994)

Reviewed 24 May 2009

My wife and I recently booked an overnight stay at the Boston Harbor Hotel, even though we live in Boston. I had recently returned from a one-year deployment overseas and recently learned that I was now being deployed by my civilian employer to the mid-west for 6-months. So we thought this would be the perfect excuse to splurge and isolate ourselves. Before our arrival, I spoke with the concierge and described purpose for our stay. He understood and took great interest in our pending visit. I said that I'd like to have flowers delivered to our room before we arrive. He then asked if I wanted anything else - champagne/strawberries? I agreed to that. I mentioned that my wife like the brute - or sweeter flavored champagne. He was very professional and, yet, he seemed to be truly interested in arranging the details of our visit that it seemed like I just met a friend.
When we arrived, not only was the most beautiful flower arrangement in our room, but the champagne was on ice and strawberries were laid out, too. To top it off, the hotel had arranged for our room to be upgraded as well. We had the most striking view of the Boston harbor. The room was perfectly sized - large and very comfortable bed, a sitting room (where we arranged the chairs to face the large front window to observe the waterfront), and a functional and stylish desk. The room was simply amazing - beautifully decorated and the colors and fabrics really popped at night. Our checking was at 3pm and we ate a late lunch at the nearby Northend restaurant, Artu. But we should have eaten all our meals at the hotel, because we found out later at lunch on the back patio the next day, that they have an amazing lunch menu packed with seafood. Plus the setting, overlooking the moorings and yachts, is ideal. The service throughout the hotel is extremely friendly. We ate dinner at the bar - a very comfortable, clubby feel, where I had the house special, the "nutty irishman." Through out the weekend there were several weddings being held on site. And my wife asked about how many and they said approximately 5 were scheduled for that weekend. Yet, it never appeared that the hotel staff seemed overwhelmed at any point. In fact, they seemed to always have time to help us with questions or special requests. The morning of our checkout, we ordered room service and it came to our room at the exact time requested - they even took time to warm the maple syrup. There are so many little touches and considerations that truly made our stay here a memory we will never forget.

• Stayed: May 2009, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Sammy_Traveler
Reviewed 12 April 2009

We stayed here for a weekend trip up from NYC to see the Shepard Fairey exhibit at ICA." We had very spacious well-appointed room, good food from room service, nice view of harbor, relaxing swim in the spa's pool and jacuzzi." Plus it was walking distance from the Institute of Contemporary Art. Perfect.

Dining: A few steps away is circus-tent-looking place called the Barking Crab. We ducked in because it was so rainy and cold out that we needed a pit stop even on the short walk from ICA to the hotel. Inside we found a large variety of beers on tap plus freshly cooked crab and lobster. I had the area's famous lobster roll, and now at least I can say I've done that. Perfect pit stop - really warmed us up.

Restaurants on Charles St in Beacon Hill are highly recommended. Cute area to walk about and window shop too after eating. Figs pizzeria is one of a kind. And brunch places abound.

Great, enjoyable weekend in Boston, anchored by the plushy hotel that was a good value too.

• Stayed: April 2009, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 29 March 2009

I stayed at the Boston Harbor Hotel this weekend with my 17-year-old son. I cannot say enough about this wonderful hotel. It was my son's first trip to Boston. I have been there a number of times for business and always stayed at the Four Seasons (which I loved but wanted to avoid because it reminded me of work!) The Boston Harbor Hotel was perfect. It started with the reservation. The listed rate for a double room hovered between $415 and $470 on line. I made the reservation by phone. Was quoted $470. I mentioned that I had seen the price drop online to $415. The very nice woman at the desk consulted their web site, did not see that price, consulted someone else and came back to me saying that they could give us the room for $295! Perfect! The room was beautiful and spacious, over 500 sq ft in an "L" shape, with couch, chair in sitting area, two flat screen television sets, a great desk with more than adequate outlets and ports for the laptop, and a balcony overlooking the city -- North Church visible in the distance. The bathroom was lovely, with a separate vanity area, bench and large mirror outside the bathroom to allow more than one person to get ready. Nice touch. Wonderful, wonderful beds, with Frette linens. User-friendly alarm clock! Had a refrigerator, but no mini-bar (contrary to their website representation). No matter, the refrigerator was handy.

All of the staff were friendly and eager to help us plan our weekend. The concierge people became my friends. We could not have felt more welcome and we certainly needed their help. Room service is quick -- we used it three times and they arrived every time as promised within half an hour or less.

The Boston Hotel is within walking distance of the North End, a very cool "Little Italy" kind of area. Also within walking distance is the Barking Crab and the Union Oyster House. This hotel is right on the Boston Harbor. A note of caution. You can take a ferry from Logan airport right to the back of the hotel MOST OF THE TIME. We decided to go for it rather than rent a car or take a cab in rush hour traffic. Unfortunately, the ferry is not running now. This is not the hotel's fault, but the people at Logan told us it was going and we were dropped off by the shuttle bus only to find otherwise.

We had a marvelous mother-son trip this weekend, and I give much of the credit to the Boston Harbor Hotel. One of the best hotel experiences I have ever had!

1  Thank Willanoah
Reviewed 27 January 2009

Boston was an awesome city to visit.
We stayed right on the harbour in a beautiful hotel called The Boston Harbor Hotel. I cannot recommend it highly enough. The staff were welcoming and helpful, very courteous and friendly.
Our room was a deluxe oceanview room with an additional sitting area overlooking the harbour - it was spacious, beautifully furnished and well appointed and conveniently located.

• Stayed: December 2008, travelled as a couple
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
3  Thank lyngriff
Reviewed 18 January 2009

I chose this hotel because several reviews on this site recommended it as the best hotel in Boston. We had a room on the 10th floor with a city view. We passed across the dome to get to our room - definitely very unique! The carpeting and furniture in the room were all very fresh and new (sometimes even in luxury hotels furnishings tend to look a little tired). As other reviews have mentioned it was really nice that the room included packets of woolite and shout. The toiletries were very high quality. I only wish that the bathroom had a television in it.... The bathroom included a shower/bathtub combo. Bedding was comfortable and the turndown service was a nice touch.

We only stayed one night but we never saw another person in the hallway. We felt like we were the only guests... The hotel was extremely quite and personal. When checking in, the front guest staff seemed to know that it was me. I only gave my last name (an unusual one). They didn't ask me to repeat or spell it and found our reservation in seconds. When we went to the pool/spa and had to sign a waiver at the front desk and the man at the desk greeted me by name even though: 1) I have an unusual name; 2) he was looking at the waiver upside down; and 3) I hadn't written particularly legibly. I felt like wherever I went the staff knew who I was! It was almost a little creepy...

The spa had a steam room, sauna, several showers with toiletries, hairdryers, etc. It was a very nice spread and everything seemed to be thought of. Although I was very disappointed that the whirlpool was not working while I was there....

I was a little disappointed with the ground floor public spaces of the hotel. There was very little seating and lounges where you could sit and talk. Also, we parked in the hotel parking garage. They charge by the calendar day and not by the hour so our less than 24-hour stay cost $68 for parking ($34 per day).

This was my first time staying in Boston so I can't comment how this hotel compared to other Boston options - but I wasn't disappointed with it. It was extremely close to Quincy Marketplace! Only a couple blocks away!

• Stayed: December 2008, travelled with friends
3  Thank anfdiva25
Reviewed 31 December 2008

All the credit in the world to the outstanding staff at the Boston Harbor Hotel. We had booked a special promotional rate that included breakfast for just $250, and I've seen other promo rates here lately for as low as $232. That's how much a Holiday Inn in Boston goes for in the summertime, so if you're looking for a romantic urban weekend getaway then this is the place.

We were upgraded to a honeymoon suite, which was enormous, with a gorgeous view of the harbor. We were also delighted to find a complimentary bottle of champagne and chocolate-covered strawberries.

But what really made our stay was the truly outstanding service throughout the hotel. It seemed as if every single person working there knew that it was our wedding night and went out of their way to congratulate us, but without being obtrusive. And when I say everyone, I mean everyone - the doormen, the valets, the bellhops, the front desk staff, the waiters.

We wanted somewhere really special for our wedding night, and several people told me that the BHH is in a league of its own when it comes to 5-star hotels in Boston. They were right.

• Stayed: December 2008, travelled as a couple