“Great location, beautiful hotel but..”

Boston Harbor Hotel
Ranked #2 of 85 Hotels in Boston
Reviewed 16 December 2009

I researched hotels and cities for a year, and chose Boston for our honeymoon. The Boston Harbor Hotel seemed like it had everything we wanted; Great location for sightseeing, beautiful views of the harbor and luxurious accommodations. The hotel ended up having all of these great amenities, but...
I am in my late 20's and my husband in his early 30's, both very relaxed people who enjoy a quiet evening in, we aren't partiers by any means. We were hoping to have a romantic week in a beautiful hotel, and were disappointed to find that this hotel was very stale as far as a romantic atmosphere goes. It was filled with business people; we didn't see any other couples staying in this hotel. All of the guests were bustling around with their brief cases and on their cell phones. We wouldn't recommend this hotel to anyone who is looking for what we were looking for- A warm and romantic atmosphere.
It's a perfect hotel for people on business or maybe even for a ladies weekend. Couples stick out like a sore thumb, and very obviously not the hotel's main concern.
P.S. Do not stay here if you have a pet allergy, as they allow pets to stay in the rooms, and do NOT do a good job of cleaning the pet hair, even if you request a deep cleaning (Clumps of cat hair on the chair)

2  Thank JNS1010
Write a ReviewReviews (1,987)

Reviewed 2 December 2009

Arrived at the airport, took the bus to the water taxi, took the water taxi directly to the hotel, all this in rush hour, from the time we landed until we were in the lobby was about 30 minutes. As soon as we arrived and checked in we went to the wine tasting and pairing which was excellent. We then ate dinner in the restaurant which has a magnificent view of the harbour. Our room was on a corner so we had both a harbour and a City view which we loved. The furnishing were very nice. The only issue I had was with housekeeping, one night we did not get turn down service and one day when they cleaned the rooms our bathrobes were balled up and left on the luggage stand which I thought was strange. We loved the location and ate at a great Italian place called Pomodoro the next night. The spa was very nice and we enjoyed the indoor pool while it rained. I do usually like a more updated bathroom, however it was nice and clean. I hope to stay there again sometime.

1  Thank susan822
Reviewed 30 November 2009

Stay here quite often due to work, and might I just say that this hotel is simply THE best iv had yet!. Perfection.

Reviewed 12 November 2009

I stayed in a Deluxe City View Room for 3 nights and it was complete luxury. The room was elegantly revonated with almost an old world hotel feel to it. Facing the city, it had a beautiful view, and surprisingly you could not hear a thing outside which was great! At night I would come back to the room and the shades would be drawn, classical music playing on the Bose and Fuji water on the nightstand. I also made use of the gym and was so disappointed I didn't have a bathing suit--the Spa/lap pool and jacuzzi looked so nice! Because this hotel also has "residences" in it, the Spa area is top notch so definitely take advantage of it if you can. Great area to walk to the North End and Faneuil Hall, and the Freedom Trail. This is definitely a 5 star hotel!

1  Thank BostonianinDallas
Reviewed 10 November 2009

This hotel gets the 5 stars, no doubt about it. From the moment I walked into the hotel the staff was incredibly attentive. Room service, maids, bell captain, restaurants, front desk -- you name it, they were on it. It was one of the friendliest places at which I have ever stayed. I was upgraded to a corner semi-suite, and it was quite a sweet room. Great view, free wireless, comfy bed, and all of the amenities except coffee in the room.

And that is the rub: this is not a cheap hotel. I snagged an American Express breakfast included rate on the internet and it was a good thing: room service breakfast was $46 and I had was a bagel, lox and coffee! The taxes on rooms in Boston come to $14.4% as well. So this was a pricey stay, but I suppose that if you want this level of service it is not unreasonable to expect to pay dearly for it.

1  Thank Marfak
Reviewed 5 November 2009

I am from Boston and almost always stay with family, but this was a special trip to celebrate my birthday (and attend the Patriots game that they won amidst the snow!) We selected this hotel because I've always wanted to visit it, especially after my niece worked there this summer. This is undoubtedly a stellar hotel and its mark was made when, among three hotels, it was the only one which responded to my pre-visit questions.

We arrived to a beautiful room, and a comfortable, elegant hotel. A perfect location, a short walk from the Aquarium stop, on the water(I might have taken the water taxi had it been warmer). The staff seemed minimal and unobtrusive, but always there when we had a question or concern.

However, a few (3) minor things bothered me enough so that I sent a message to the hotel, since its notes in the room indicated that comments to improve service were invited.

One of the things that holds a 5 star hotel above a 4.5 is not only attention to details, rotely, but a recognition that they matter in whatever form they take to the guest. This is what the BHH did for me--the manager acknowledged my concerns, told me they were legitimate, and rectified them. In fact they went overboard, and I appreciated it immensely.

Was it the plushest hotel I've been in in Boston? No. But they put me first, even if I had to give them a little nudge. My lasting impression will be of a grand hotel that helped me celebrate to my standards.

Reviewed 19 October 2009

Although pricey, this Hotel is consistent with other 5 star hotels I've stayed in. Location is close to the aquarium/Subway. Our visit coincided with cold rainy weather so between taxi's and the subway, our walking was minimized. If the weather was in any way better, we could have walked to boston common, Charles street, etc. There appeared to be a lot of business travelers in the Hotel but our 10 y/o daughter was welcome with open arms, and if fact seemed to get extra nice treatment. This, I concluded was a family friendly hotel. Room, as you would expect was roomy with every ammenity that you would expect. No true complaints. Would stay there again.

• Stayed: October 2009, travelled with family