“Comfortable stay in Boston”

Four Seasons Hotel Boston
Ranked #4 of 86 Hotels in Boston
Reviewed 28 April 2014

I received some Sunday afternoon Red Sox tickets through work and I wanted to take my 3 year old son to his first game at Fenway along with my wife. Rather than make a long day trip from Connecticut, we decided we would go a day early and make a weekend out of it. I have stayed in other Four Seasons in the past and I knew this was where I wanted to stay for the night.

Check-in around 4pm on Saturday could have been quicker, there was a small front desk with only 3 people working, but I think only 2 of them were actually checking people in. So this took longer then we would have liked after a long trip in the car. They did have a small wagon full of stuffed toys and offered on to our son, which he was very pleased with. This was a nice touch.

Our room was on the 7th floor and overlooking Boston Common. The room was absolutely comfortable and spacious as you would expect and the view of the park and the statues was wonderful.

I was in the mood to do absolutely nothing but enjoy the hotel. My wife went out shopping locally and had quite a nice time walking through the lovely neighborhood and checking out the shops. I took my son to the pool upstairs. We had a total blast in the pool, it was just shallow enough in the low end for him to stand, and there were plenty of noodles and swim boards for him to play with. There was also a large jacuzzi, but I didn't get a chance to use it. The pool also looked out over Boston Common through large windows and all of this natural light was very nice. There were a few lounge chairs and tables/chairs near the pool as well for relaxing or ordering food.

That evening we decided to have dinner in the bar area of the Bristol Lounge. I didn't have any prior reservations, so I called and put us on the waiting list around 730pm, they called back about 25 mins later with a free table. It was perfect for us. In the bar area, so there was plenty of action, and this way no one would pay attention to the 3 year old who was having a good time with his toys and the crayons and coloring paper they provided. The seating for our table was an L-shaped leather couch with some pillows, and this was very comfortable, especially for our son. The food was very good and the martinis were as well. There is definitely very good people watching in the lounge.

Bedtime - my big (and only) complaint about the entire stay is the fact that our room was directly across from the elevators. While I believe the hallways were all carpeted, the area between our room and the elevators was not. This meant that any conversations people were having as they came off the elevator echoed loudly into our room all night long. We were woken up on 3 separate occasions that night by people coming off the elevator chatting or having a laugh. Next time I will be sure to ask to be put further away from the elevators.

Bathtime - the hotel typically supplies L'Occitaine toiletries which are very nice, but I have stayed in other locations where they offered Bulgari. I called housekeeping about this, and they had a nice lady deliver the full line of Bulgari toiletries on at tray in about 10 minutes.

Sunday morning I had a nice workout in the gym which is very well equipped while my wife took my son swimming. We ordered breakfast at the pool and it arrived in under a half hour. During that time I had some of the complementary fruit infused water from the gym, some complementary coffee from pool side, and read one of the complementary newspapers. The breakfast was excellent, but they made one mistake. I ordered 2 eggs, they only brought one. I informed the pool attendant who took our order who apologized profusely (not a big deal) and the remaining egg was brought up in minutes. (they ended up offering to cover the entire cost of the breakfast because of this ... it was a nice gesture...however breakfast was already included in our rate...oh well)

Overall it was a very comfortable and luxurious stay that we really needed, I wish I could have stayed a few days longer...hopefully next time. My wife LOVED IT, and my son's crib was huge, and the bedding was nicer than the stuff in our bedroom at home. However like I mentioned, next time I will be sure they do not put us anywhere near the elevator. To the hotel's credit, when we checked out, the gentleman at the front desk gave me his card and told me to let him know before we come next time so he can make sure he gives us a good room. We'll see how that goes, I'm sure we'll be back before long.

Checkout - was slow. Again, only about 3 people working the front desk and they were each taking forever with whoever they were checking out (i understand that due to the level of service) but there has to be a way to make it quicker. There were only 2 other people ahead of me in line, and I think i waited close to or over 30 minutes.

Room Tip: Don't get a room near the elevators. Too much noise from people coming off the elevators at nig...
1  Thank juice06870
FSBoston, Hotel Manager at Four Seasons Hotel Boston, responded to this reviewResponded 20 May 2014

Thank you for the generous time you spent offering feedback on your experience with us. First, we were so thrilled that we could be part of your experience of taking your three year old son to his first Red Sox game, a memory we hope was wonderful and unforgettable. How meaningful for us that you chose to stay at our Boston hotel on your visit from Connecticut for such a wonderful family get-away– thank you for thinking of us. We so appreciate your kind words about all that you enjoyed as part of your experience here, and were so pleased that your wife really enjoyed herself, and that you enjoyed your dining experiences at the pool and in The Bristol Lounge.

We likewise appreciate your feedback regarding your check-in/checkout time and room location. I invite you to contact me directly prior to your next visit so that I can ensure every single detail is exactly to your liking. Please feel free to contact me at awet.sium@fourseasons.com or (617) 351-2008. Best wishes from the Four Seasons family to yours, and all the staff here at our Back Bay hotel hope to see you, your wife and son, again very soon.

-Awet Sium, Hotel Manager

Write a ReviewReviews (1,921)

Reviewed 25 April 2014 via mobile

We stayed at the Four Seasons Boston last year for Easter, and decided to go back for another visit this year.

The room we received, a garden view executive suite, was on the eight floor right next to the pool, which was a great location for us. The view of the Boston Gardens was amazing, and there was plenty of room, even though we had an extra bed for our daughter.

The staff at this hotel is just amazing! From Walter at the concierge who helped us with Duck Tour tickets before arrival, to Micha who waited on us for both breakfast and lunch, and Alex who was a great host at the pool as well as the people who worked at the super secret ice cream club.

There were, however, a few issues with house keeping. First of all there was great confusion about how many extra beds we had need for, which resulted in both a bed being delivered and the sofa bed being made when we returned at night. This was corrected in just a few minutes after we called them, and didn't distract from the quality of the stay. A bigger issue was the fact that house keeping didn't acknowledge the fact that we had a late check out, which led to them leaving stuff on our sofa and standing outside of our room just waiting for us to leave. This was very stressful, and made even worse by the fact that we had a similar experience last time we stayed here. We were compensated for this issue though, which shows they do what they have to in order to keep guests happy and coming back.

I think that the Four Seasons is arguably one of the best hotels in Boston, and even though we had an amazing stay there are things that could be improved, which shouldn't be the case at a five star luxury hotel.

1  Thank Johannes D
FSBoston, Hotel Manager at Four Seasons Hotel Boston, responded to this reviewResponded 16 June 2014

Thank you for sharing your thoughtful comments regarding your stay. I have taken your feedback and shared it with our Housekeeping team, and have also passed along your compliments to our Concierge, restaurant and Spa staff, recognizing Walter, Micha and Alex for a job well done. We strive for nothing than a perfect visit for every guest, and I invite you to contact me personally at awet.sium@fourseasons.com prior to your next visit so I can assist with insuring that your stay goes without a hitch. I do hope we’ll have another opportunity to welcome you and your family back again in the very near future. Many thanks, once again, for taking time to write your review.

-Awet Sium

Reviewed 24 April 2014

Just back from 3 days with my family visiting Boston and staying for the 3rd time at the FS here. Suffice it to say all aspects of our stay at the hotel was excellent. The location and accomodations are - as expected - top notch. What separates the FS from other places in the service of course. Personalized, highly responsive, professional, are the best ways to describe how the full staff treats you. Sometimes you stay at a top place and after a while encounter someone onstaff who is not up to par. Not here. Everyone from the pool/gym attendants, housekeeping, car attendants, to front desk and wait staff were superb. Can't want to go back and be treated like we all hope to be!

Room Tip: If available, get the Garden View.
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled with family
FSBoston, Hotel Manager at Four Seasons Hotel Boston, responded to this reviewResponded 29 April 2014

Thank you for taking the time to share your very kind words and feedback. It was a great way to start the week and I will be sure to share your comments with our entire team. We look forward to welcoming you back to our Boston Hotel soon.

Reviewed 23 April 2014

I was blessed to run the 2014 Boston Marathon with over 32,000 other runners. My stay at the four Seasons was exceptional, not only for the proximity to the Expo and Finish line but the incredible hospitality and service provided to runners and guests has no competition.
The rooms were large and quiet, slept better than I do at home.

2  Thank rgonzmart

I'm was so delighted to read your review and very pleased that we succeeded in making your stay nothing less than exceptional. The Boston Marathon is a very special event for the City and for us at the Hotel. We enjoy welcoming runners every year, many of whom return--year after year--to our Back Bay Hotel for the exact reasons that you've shared. Congratulations on participating in this year’s Marathon and I hope we will have the opportunity to welcome you back next year.

Reviewed 23 April 2014 via mobile

Just got back and had a wonderful stay during the marathon. The staff was attentive to the runners and even had a post race celebration for us. The massage has to be done in room as they only have one therapy room which I don't prefer. Otherwise perfect location for the race.

• Stayed: April 2014
FSBoston, Hotel Manager at Four Seasons Hotel Boston, responded to this reviewResponded 16 May 2014

Congratulations on running the Boston Marathon! Celebrating our guests after the Marathon is a favorite event for our employees to take part in; the best part is knowing that you enjoyed the cheering squad and other amenities that we offered that day. Thank you for your feedback regarding the therapy room; we have shared your comments with our Spa department. We hope to have the honor of welcoming you back for next year's Marathon!

Reviewed 22 April 2014

Recent two night stay at The Four Seasons with husband, daughter and two young grandchildren - We chose this hotel because of the location, it's kid friendly program, and the accommodating reservations person who set up our visit. I can't say enough good things about our stay. Our rooms were connecting, and were able to accommodate two full size cribs. The children slept so well. The ice cream dessert sent to our grandson was so great (we all enjoyed it) - and the playground in the park across the street was wonderful. We were grateful for the use of the hotel car. But most of all we were happy to interact with a very gracious and well trained staff, from the valets out front, to the concierge, to the check in people, and certainly to the housekeeping staff. Would definitely stay again. Expensive, but good value.

Room Tip: front rooms are better, but we needed to be guaranteed connecting rooms, so we had a back view.....
1  Thank mvdoc

We pride ourselves on being a welcoming place for families and young guests, and I was thrilled to read your kind review about our Boston Hotel. Our pastry team always delights in creating special treats for kids and our proximity to the Boston Commons and Boston Public Garden is always a favorite for families; we're also glad to know that you could make use of the complimentary hotel car. Above all, we are so pleased that you would stay with us again, and we hope to welcome you and your family back in the very near future. Thanks again for making our day by sharing your thoughtful review.

Reviewed 21 April 2014

Excellent hotel with very friendly and attentive staff! Start your day in the pool, and enjoy afternoon tea in the Bristol Lounge. Clean and spacious room. We are most pleased with our stay at the Four Seasons Hotel Boston!

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled with family
FSBoston, Hotel Manager at Four Seasons Hotel Boston, responded to this reviewResponded 15 May 2014

I wanted to thank you for sharing your comments about your recent stay at our Boston Hotel. Time and time again, we hear from guests that our service is one of the many reasons that we are able to create a memorable, enjoyable experience. Our staff enjoyed hearing that you mentioned service as one of the reasons your described your stay with us as “fabulous” and I do hope we’ll have the chance to welcome you back to Four Seasons—and Boston—real soon. Thank you again for your complimentary review.