“Jumping the Shark”

Utrecht, The Netherlands
“Jumping the Shark”
Reviewed 26 June 2010

Jumping the shark

My stay at the FS in Boston was a great letdown. Let’s talk about the good features it still retains: a very good concierge service and tideness of rooms and common areas. But:
when I checked in I was given a room right in front of the AC vent which, apart from being really noisy it cooled the room too much and it made entering the room a bit of a challenge as, servicing the whole seventh floor, it blasted out freezing air right on your back.

I went right to the reception complaining about it and a young gentleman at the reception told me ‘nobody has ever complained about it if it still bothers you tomorrow morning we’ll turn the AC down’.

Well, one of the reasons I really like this hotel chain is that everything is always perfect and they take care of problems asap. I hate having to complain, move around once I’m settled down so I never went back.

Breakfast the following morning was a challenge. I asked for a continental breakfast plus yougurt and eggs but I got the bill instead of the eggs. Strange I though let’s see tomorrow morning! The day after I chose the American breakfast, same story: after a 45 minute wait I still hadn’t got my eggs so I just paid and left. On the third day they finally managed to deliver the right order in a decent time.

I also had lunch once day and it was decent but not the excellent quality I was used to at the FS. Besides you eat on plastic table mats which is really a let down for a high end hotel. What a difference from the FS in Paris where they iron the table clothes before setting the table! I remember they had them also the other time I was there but being service and food excellent you don’t really mind. This time though it bothered me a lot, maybe because I spent a lot of time staring at them waiting for my breakfast.

I had to be back for another two days but I cancelled ny reservation and decided for the Fairmont instead. While I was there the hotel was celebrating its 25th birthday: an old dame living on fame and memories!

• Stayed June 2010, travelled on business

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (392)
Toronto, Ontario
Reviewed 17 June 2010

My wife and I stayed at the FS Boston for three evenings. Simply put, the hotel lived up to my expectations for a Four Seasons. The service and staff were excellent, the rooms were nice with the typical amenities and the facilities were excellent. The fitness room and pool were excellent. The location, across from the park, was superb. And what a wonderful park it is. Just beautiful. We did not dine in the restaurants or use room service so we have no view on the food. I cannot say anything negative about the hotel - we look forward to returning.

• Stayed June 2010, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Canadian-Beagle
Abu Dhabi, United Arab Emirates
Reviewed 26 May 2010

Typical Four Seasons service but would prefer to do stay at Four Seasons resort hotels rather than business hotels. Great for families.

• Stayed April 2010, travelled on business
New Tredegar, Wales
Reviewed 6 May 2010

We have stayed in quite a few FS hotels around the world and found FS Boston to be the most friendly and professional of them all the staff were surperb and everybody had time to chat and give you advice even though they were very busy. i would advise anybody to stay there even though it is pricey you get what you pay for excellence.

• Stayed May 2010, travelled as a couple
1 Thank jo&bod
Geneva, Switzerland
Reviewed 11 April 2010

This Hotel is very good for lodging; we stayed 8 nights and liked their service, the large deluxe rooms, the ideal location, valet parking, beautiful flower arrangements in the lobby, pool etc. However, I don’t recommend it for eating. Price-value relationship is poor. Food quality and service is very average. And at the Bristol dining room the service is off-handed and slow. Mineral water from Europe costs $ 30 for one Evian and one San Pellegrino; they smell Europeans to recommend the water – it’s a sure sell…once!! A breakfast for two in the room was billed $ 90 incl. service, we waited almost an hour and they had it all wrong. After complaining the price was reduced to
$ 50. After these two experiences we preferred some of the excellent Restaurants in the neighbourhood were price and quality was good. Wifi is available at about $9 per day

• Stayed April 2010, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Markus S
london
Reviewed 6 April 2010

when you think of all the things you look for in a hotel (location, service, room size) this place has it all. i must have stayed here a handful of times now over the last two years and the fact i keep gonig back says a lot. looks and feels modern in the public spaces and the rooms. doesnt need a long review, this place is close to perfect unless you like the smaller, boutique style hotels.

• Stayed March 2010, travelled on business
1 Thank yatsey
Concord,MA
Reviewed 30 March 2010

I sat at the computer for about five minutes after deciding to write a review of the Boston Four Seasons (having stayed here with my family at least six times). "Really", I thought "How does one write a review of a hotel that is part of the best luxury chain on Earth (Sorry Mandarin Orient!)?"

But here I go...

We live 20 miles outside of Boston and on special occasions (the most recent being my birthday) we will book a night or two at the Four Seasons. That should tell you something there.

First- there are probably properties that are nice and perhaps a little nicer (The Taj, or the Millenium?) but none have the staff that the Four Seasons has. I actually purchased the new book that has been written by the founder of the Four Seasons to figure out just how they do it.

Everyone is a pro- and everyone knows who you are , where you are from, that we had our twins with us. Knowing that our twins (who are eleven and well behaved) the staff allowed them to use the workout room (they had made the same exception last year when they were ten). The spa is super, the health club, just what one would expect (see how hard it is to write a review?) from a Four Seasons. The pool is on the 8th floor (perhaps the 7th?) with floor length windows opening up views of the Public Gardens. Day or night the views are incredible!

The location at the Public Garden means you are just a half a mile from Newbury Street and Charles Street shopping.

Unfortunately the last "Formal" Hotel Dining Room in Boston the Aujord Hui closed about 18 months ago- which is sad. But the informal formality of the Bristol Lounge with it's fire places, sofas, tables, and live jazz combo on Saturday Night are great fun. With Window opening up on the Gardens it is also fun to have breakfast.

The only downside that we could see is that the furniture in our Suite (the chairs and Ottoman/Sofa) are just this side of being worn out. Given the prices that the Four Season's commands I would not expect this.

Well I guess no one is perfect- although the Four Season's Boston comes close!

• Stayed March 2010, travelled with family