“We were very comfortable at the Oasis Guest House”
Review of Oasis Guest House

Oasis Guest House
Ranked #7 of 37 Boston B&B and Inns
Reviewed 21 January 2008

The Oasis is a comfortable row house situated on a quiet street, a 10 minute walk from the Berklee University campus. The desk clerk was very helpful, informative and friendly. Parking in the back was available. The room was clean and everything in working order. The Oasis was also quiet. There were no loud disturbances or humming, clanking ice or vending machines. Breakfast choices were ample: coffee, tea, cereal, bagel, other breads and pastries, fruit, milk, juices, and spreads. The parlor with its many cushioned bay window seats, carved arm chairs, mantel and other accoutrements create an old-world charm. The parlor offered a place to relax and meet other guests. Internet use was also available.
My husband, grandaughter and I enjoyed our brief stay.
You do have to be able to climb stairs.

Sarah H.

• Stayed: January 2008
1  Thank PhillyJaney

Reviewed 7 January 2008

This was my first visit to boston with my mother,for only 4 nights,and i found oasis guest house a wonderful,clean and friendly place to stay.it was an exellnet experience because my mother and i spent a couple of days there and the crew at the hotel was amazing!!!!!!!!i felt like in my house in argentina,delicious breakfast,very clean rooms,and the employees are very friendly...they helped us to find everything we wanted to find in the city,restaurants,places to visit etc......i definitly recommend this place,you will be like in a big family in a nice area and with exellent people.....specially u Michael...you are so nice..thanks for everything....
Soledad and Lidia(from argentina).....thanks again!!!!
we will visit u again!!!!!!

• Stayed: January 2008, travelled with family
1  Thank abejita28
Reviewed 12 December 2007

My friend and I stayed at the Oasis for a week earlier this month.
The guesthouse was superb. The welcome by the staff was terrific. All of the staff were friendly and so helpful. The room we stayed in was cosy and spotlessly clean. Everyday the cleaners cleaned the room to the highest of standards.
We payed a very reasonable rate for the room and the service was way above the rate we payed.
A big thank you for making our stay so pleasant.
Bob/Dave.
We will highly recommend this guesthouse to our family/friends in Britain.

Stayed: December 2007
3  Thank hooche
Reviewed 11 November 2007

The Oasis Guest House is in a great location for downtown Boston. 2 "T" stops very close, also very convenient for Newbury St and its shops! The accommodation is spotless, and the staff are all friendly and helpful. The room we stayed in had a shared bath - it was never a problem to access the bathroom, and I think the management must have taken the previous comments on board, because I found the bathroom to be clean. Breakfast was fine for me - tea or coffee, orange juice, cereal, fruit- I loved the apples, very juicy-and a selection of breads/croissant/bagels/danish. All in all we considered this guest house lived up to our expectations - check out their website, you'll find everything is as it appears there.

• Stayed: October 2007, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 20 October 2007

After reading all the high-praise reviews on TripAdvisor, I was sure I'd found a hidden gem. I guess others' standards are lower than mine.

I'll start with the good: Keith (I'm assuming he is the proprietor) and staff were very friendly and informative. In addition, the directions off the B&B's website were perfect in getting to their location. Speaking of location, the B&B was close to the Hynes Convention Center T stop (which is also the stop for Newbury Street if you plan on shopping) and there were many places to eat along Boylston and Newbury (a 2-min walk), and fast food very near the B&B.
It was a nice added feature to find a computer for the guests' use in
the living room and wireless if you need or want it. The living room was very comfortable for sitting and eating breakfast, reading the paper or a book, or enjoying a cup of coffee.

My criticisms lie with the actual room. Yeah, you aren't in it that much, but I still expect a decent room. The walls were very thin and I could hear college students' word-for-word conversations on the street below, and probably other conversations from the surrounding rooms. There was a half inch gap between the bottom of the door and the floor so hallway noise added to it. There was no temperature control so at night the room was freezing and hot in the morning when
the heat kicked on. I opened the window, which had holes in the screen. The pillow was little more than a piece of foam. I guess I expected a little character at a B&B but the room was devoid of any personality. Additionally, the paint was peeling in the bathroom, there were suspicious brown stains on the bathroom wall, and the shower curtain had mildew. Management, please, why would you have 1-ply toilet paper?

The breakfast isn't what I expect from a bed and BREAKFAST. There was
a bread, bagels, danish squares, and choice between two cereals. There was some fruit that looked ok, but probably a few days old. Orange juice and coffee and tea.

For the price ($150ish + tax = $179) I was disappointed. However, the
location is good and for a basic room with no frills (if that was what I had wanted), I probably could have done worse.

• Stayed: October 2007, travelled with friends
2  Thank TouringSam
Reviewed 29 September 2007

It was the cheapest ($100) room available in the city, and a shared bathroom at that, but I knew the location and the reviews were decent.

Indeed, the location---a couple of blocks from the Green Line's Hynes Convention Center station and near lots of restaurants and things to do---is fine, and the students from the nearby Berklee School of Music keep the streets lively (although the B&B itself is on a quiet side street).

My room---a single bed with shared bath---was more like an upscale YMCA. In other words, so tiny the only place to sit was on the chair, and the TV was mounted high on the wall, so high that it was almost uncomfortable to watch. The shared bathroom was mostly available and mostly clean, but also small and not exactly the greatest shared bathroom I've experienced.

Warning: Although the street noise was minimal for the heart of Boston, the room doors are thin, and you can hear people in the hallways.

The "breakfast" was mediocre at best, certainly not as good as, say, a Fairfield Inn.

I did see some rooms that were more spacious than mine. And it was nice that you could use the computer in the lobby, at least until 10 pm, when they shut it down out of courtesy to a guest room next to it.

In summary, I expected a bit more for the price, especially taking into account that I had a shared bathroom.

• Stayed: September 2007, travelled solo
2  Thank don666
Reviewed 14 September 2007

We booked this place in an effort to stick to our £100 a night budget and I have to say compared to other places I have stayed it doesn't to me represent excellent value for money . . however it would appear that Boston is a particularly expensive city (we did book quite late so perphaps our choice was more limited) . . . overall for the area I think this B&B is a reasonably good option. As others have said the location is spot on, in a lovely tree lined street close to Hynes T stop and Newbury street. There are 2 guest houses, we were staying in Adams several doors down from the main Oasis guest house. This is not ideal if you arrive with a lot of luggage in the pouring rain as we found out. We had a room with private bath, which was basic but clean and fairly spacious. There was some paint pealing in the bathroom but again it was clean. The breakfast was limited in choice, however everything was very good and you have the coice to eat in your room, living area or deck. The staff were very helpful and generally the place has a very laid back feel, free internet access and 5 page per day printing was also a nice bonus.

• Stayed: September 2007, travelled as a couple