“The best hotel I have ever stayed in.”
Review of Omni Parker House

Omni Parker House
Ranked #48 of 84 Hotels in Boston
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed 22 June 2013

Upon arriving at the Omni Parker House hotel in Boston on June 14, 2013, I found chilled champagne and chocolate covered strawberries waiting for me when I arrived in my room as it was my anniversary. Who does that any more? I have stayed in luxury hotels all over the world, but none of them treat me like the Parker House. I am originally from Boston and go back to visit at least once a year and will never stay anywhere else. This is my Boston apartment. It is unparalleled in the quality of the service, the friendliness of the people, the food and beverage, and its historic charm. This is the only place I go where I want to spend more time in the hotel. Yes, the rooms are small but charming and clean and the hotel is gorgeous. The restaurant is one of the best in Boston and two different bars to pick from as well. You can walk across the street to dine at Ruth's Chris steakhouse in Old City Hall also. Great location to many wonderful restaurants and attractions in Boston as you can walk to the North End and Faneuil Hall. Love this hotel.

1  Thank ducs

Reviewed 22 June 2013

From the moment I made my reservation with the in-house agent, I knew this was going to be a memorable stay, and I was not disappointed. I was celebrating a special event with family, and I could not have picked a better hotel do do this. The hotel is a classic legend in its own right. The service from the moment we pulled up to the front door to the moment we checked out was exceptional.. Reception, the bellmen, housekeeping, and the wait staff at the Parker House restaurant all were very gracious and attentive. We had a suite that connected to an executive room via a private foyer which gave us plenty of space. The location is ideal, walking distance to the Boston Common, Cheers Pub in Beacon Hill, Quincy Market and the State House. Ruth Chris is directly across the street. Getting a taxi was never a problem, even in the rain. All in all, a truly memorable stay, If you have a special occasion, or just happen to be in town, this is the place to stay.

Room Tip: Choose a more spacious room than the standard rooms. The Executive Rooms come with either a King or...
1  Thank bjb57
OmniPH55, Guest Relations Manager at Omni Parker House, responded to this reviewResponded 24 June 2013

Thank you for your remarks and for the good tip on reserving one of our larger rooms!

Reviewed 20 June 2013

We stayed here for one night on our way to Vermont. The staff was really welcoming and helpful. There were cookies and ice cold milk awaiting my kids when we arrived in our suite. We were originally going to go to the North End for dinner at a kid friendly restaurant. However, it was raining heavily the night we arrived so we decided to dine at the Parker House restaurant. Although I wouldn't usually dine here with children (it is quite fancy, especially after you have just traveled across the country on a plane for 5 hours and don't feel like dressing up), but the staff couldn't have been more accommodating and friendly to our entire family. We had a lovely meal and a wonderful stay. My son also lost his Kindle Fire and realized it as we were leaving the hotel. We left word with security and sure enough, received a phone call saying they found it and would hold it for us until we returned to town the following week.

A word of warning - like most older hotels in the area, the noise from the street can be heard from most rooms (the Boston Bruins had just won the playoffs the night we were there, which I'm sure made it louder than usual). If you are a light sleeper, bring earplugs.

1  Thank MPC1204
OmniPH55, Guest Relations Manager at Omni Parker House, responded to this reviewResponded 27 June 2013

Thanks for your review and for noting that our central, downtown location also means that one may sometimes experience noise associated with the city.

Reviewed 20 June 2013

Great historic hotel in the perfect location for exploring Boston.

Our room was very small and it was difficult to find room for 4 bags as Boston was our first stop on a 3 week New England trip. The beds were very comfortable.

Our TV remote didn’t work on the first night and we called the front desk to get help. We got a new remote, but that didn’t help. We left it at that since we were pretty tired after an international flight. The next day we talked to the front desk again and when we returned to the hotel later that day the remote worked.

We enjoyed staying at the hotel beside the few issues and would definitely stay again.

• Stayed: September 2012, travelled with friends
1  Thank MN0975
OmniPH55, Guest Relations Manager at Omni Parker House, responded to this reviewResponded 21 June 2013

Thank you for your review and we apologize for the issue with your TV. It's likely that the remote control was not the true problem but rather something with the TV itself that required our maintenance engineer to service while you were out of the hotel.

Reviewed 20 June 2013

The location of the hotel is great for seeing the historic sites of Boston. After we arrived we learned of the history of the hotel which is very interesting especially for Mass area politicians and events.

However, we did not have a positive experience here. Unfortunately things started off poorly as the hotel made me unpack and remove the cargo carrier prior to parking. For a premier hotel (and the cost of valet parking) my expectation is that they can better accommodate this situation.

In fact they told me there was a garage farther away that has higher clearance but I would have to find it and park myself - being tired and unfamiliar with the city I really had no choice but to spend my first 15/20 minutes in Boston dealing with this in the middle of a busy city street. We paid full fare (not a discount web site) and I just wanted to drive up, leave it to the excellent staff of a premier hotel, check-in and start enjoying vacation - didn't work out that way. My suggestion is they do a deal with that other garage and if needed set a higher valet fee for this situation.

The rooms were small, especially the bathrooms. The toilet in one of the bathrooms never worked during our stay. Although linens and floors were clean, the walls were scuffed, peeling paint, overall a bit shabby. The phones in our rooms were wall phones placed on the desk - so they rested awkwardly and had to be picked up to dial (otherwise they wobbled/rattled back and forth as you pushed the buttons - it was a bit humorous actually the first time I tried to dial - until you think of how thoughtless someone was to the details). The common areas also looked worn and tattered. Absolutely in need of room and main area upgrades.

The service was o.k. - but again not really the highly attentive and friendly I expected from a prestigious hotel.

The overall feel of the experience was that the hotel relies on its historical reputation and great location.

So although we enjoyed our time in Boston, this hotel did not live up to our expectations.

Two stars for the location.

2  Thank mrsgeegs

We have noted your suggestion about charging a premium to handle vehicles that require high clearance and realize that your unfortunate arrival experience understandably tainted the rest of your stay with us. We do apologize and thank you for your recommendation as it is a reasonable idea that will be given full consideration. We hope that you'll give us another try in the future!

Reviewed 19 June 2013

Stayed a couple days here prior to the Pax East convention in March 2013. The lobby is very grand, the rooms less so. I ate in the hotel dining room both nights and found the namesake Parker House rolls to be dry and bland. The Boston Cream Pie- which also apparently originated here- was the best I had in Boston. In fact, go just for the Pie. Take Pie home with you. Yum. The hotel is very centrally located to a couple of different subway stops, and the freedom trail runs right by the front door. Walking distance to the Hard Rock Café and quite a few of the historic sights so a good base of operations. Part of a travel package, so the room rate was closer to reasonable.

• Stayed: March 2013, travelled solo
1  Thank got-the-pin
OmniPH55, Guest Relations Manager at Omni Parker House, responded to this reviewResponded 20 June 2013

Thank you and we're pleased you enjoyed our Boston Cream Pie!

Reviewed 18 June 2013

The Parker House was beautiful. It is that simple. The lobby was incredible and the service was perfect. It is located right next to the Freedom Trail, which makes it convenient for site seeing in a wonderful city. We found the people of Boston to be incredibly nice and easy to talk to. Great experience. The Parker House is a "boutique" hotel, which is a fancy way of saying the rooms are small, but that is how they were done when this hotel was built. The only negative I have to say about the hotel deals with internet access. Wifi in the room was $10 per day and if you want to use the computers in their business center, it is another $25. I found that somewhat over the top. Nonetheless, we had a great visit.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled as a couple
OmniPH55, Guest Relations Manager at Omni Parker House, responded to this reviewResponded 25 June 2013

Thanks for your feedback and for giving us the opportunity to remind guests that WiFi access is complimentary if you join our Select Guest loyalty program. Many other perks go with it, too!