“GREAT location, thin walls”
Review of Omni Parker House

Omni Parker House
Ranked #48 of 84 Hotels in Boston
GreenLeadersBronze level
A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed 14 February 2014

We stayed at the Omni for 5 days for college music auditions, and it couldn't have been a more convenient location! One block to the subway (T) station for any of the lines, in an area we were comfortable walking in. Convenient for food, shopping and tourism. The only downside: 1. the rooms are very small. 2. the walls are very thin. We were very entertained by the guy singing in the room next door, lucky for us he was an excellent singer- even at midnight...

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank A TripAdvisor Member

Reviewed 14 February 2014

I've known about the Parker House and its glorious past but this was the first time I've stayed as a guest. I'd read reviews that were less than stellar and was very happy when the room was quieter than others reported. I loved they had the feather pillows on the bed I'd requested. The breakfast we were served was better than others we've had at high end hotels. We were very pleasantly surprised and we look forward to staying there again.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 13 February 2014

The Omni Parker House is a lovely, historic hotel in a great neighborhood in downtown Boston. I was there for a conference and had a nice stay, with some caveats.

Pros:
-the location is great and right on the Freedom Trail and not far from Faneuil Hall.
-the staff were very friendly and helpful.
-the food was quite good. We had very nice group breakfasts, lunches and dinners. All were quite varied (roast beef, seafood pasta in cream sauce, chowder, fish, good salads, etc) and good quality. Room service was also very good although, admittedly, I did only order a hamburger which is not too taxing on the kitchen.
-the building is lovely with lots of carved wood, brass, and "old-word charm".

Cons:
- it's an old building so it has some of the usual drawbacks that come with that. My room was quite small and my "view" on the 14th floor was directly into another building across the narrow street. The only shelf space in the tiny bathroom was right over the toilet so I kept the lid closed for fear that I was going to drop stuff into the toilet.
-the elevators are older and slow, especially getting to the upper floors.
- more importantly, the place needs a little more attention to cleanliness. My room was mostly clean on the surface but there was a big tangle of hair on the bath towel (how could the staff not see that when placing it there?). There was an, um, icky stain on the blanket that is draped at the bottom of the bed and there were a number of small hairs on the sheets. And finally, I ordered water with my room service dinner which arrived in a glass with someone's lipstick still on the rim.

In sum, it's an interesting historic building and they did a very nice job handling our conference, but I didn't feel the cleanliness and attention to detail was what you would expect for a luxury hotel charging at the higher end of the usual hotel range.

Room Tip: I don't recommend the 14th floor. It takes forever to get there (or down from there) on the old...
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank DawnM160
OmniPH55, Guest Relations Manager at Omni Parker House, responded to this reviewResponded 14 February 2014

Thank you for your feedback and we apologize for any shortcomings you experienced during your recent stay with us. You comments have been shared with the appropriate staff members so that we improve!

Reviewed 13 February 2014

Stayed at Omni Parker House for one night on business, and it was really a great place to crash. The location was excellent, as it was only about 2 blocks from the T and a short walk into the financial district. The Freedom Trail passes right by here, so I know it's a great spot for tourist walks as well. The lobby is beautiful, and my room was very clean. Overall, I was really happy with the stay.

I do need to point out two little criticisms, though. First, the bathroom was surprisingly small given the size of the room. The living area was quite roomy, and honestly the bathroom size was okay since I was travelling alone. If you're headed to Boston with your family, please don't be surprised.

The only other issue I had was when a guy in the next room came in at 1:00AM bellowing into his cell phone. I have no idea what this guy's issue was (speaking in Russian), but someone was getting the worst of it. I would really have appreciated a little more insulation in the walls at that point, but they seemed quite thin. I believe that's par for the course with these older hotels, but I'd advise the Omni to consider this in their next renovation.

I'd give this hotel a big thumbs up for business travelers and couples. A smaller thumbs up for families might be more appropriate, but I think it's a very good place to stay either way.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled on business
Reviewed 12 February 2014

Very nice, older, well restored hotel centrally located in downtown Boston, a short walking distance to dining establishments, shops, clubs, the T, the local farmers market, etc. The breakfast buffet is a pretty good value, best price if purchased in advance, or as a combo with the room.

Room Tip: Check for various promotional offers on line before booking, and don't forget to ask the hotel f...
  • Stayed: March 2013, travelled solo
1  Thank Hsnitowsky
Reviewed 12 February 2014

This stay at the OMNI Parker house was definitely a mixed bag. We stayed here for a Boston Bruins hockey game later that evening. Check in was a breeze and we got room 1154. This room was TINY. The bed in this room was even smaller. I wouldn't call it a double, not sure if it was. For $300+ standard rate per night, it was NOT a good sleep. That being said, I don't think I have even seen a more polite and helpful staff. The place was sold out so we were stuck in that room, but the people there were great. It has a very nice fitness center and a small but stylish lobby. It depends on your tastes, but sleep is important so we won't be back. Valet parking is $39 per night.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed 12 February 2014

I was not happy with my recent stay at the Omni Parker House in Boston, MA!! Issues: Broken TV upon arrival Chocolate Covered strawberries were green. (Unripe) Chipping paint/flaking on ceiling in my room. Black mold on Shower tiles. Noisy slumber party next door.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled solo
Review collected in partnership with Omni Hotels & Resorts
OmniPH55, Guest Relations Manager at Omni Parker House, responded to this reviewResponded 13 February 2014

We're sorry that your recent experience didn't match up with your previous ones and invite you to contact us before you make your next reservation so we can be sure to make that stay perfect. Many thanks for your feedback and we hope to have you back!