“Great destination for a group outing”

Revere Hotel Boston Common
Ranked #41 of 83 Hotels in Boston
Boston
“Great destination for a group outing”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 August 2012

We held a group outing at the Emerald Room at the Revere Hotel. It's a hip, welcoming space in a convenient location within walking distance from our office and public transportation. The layout, service and food were excellent and we all had a great time. We will definitely return and recommend it to others!

• Stayed August 2012, travelled with friends
1 Thank amm-bos

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (678)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Atlanta, Georgia
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 August 2012

I had to stay in a Boston Common hotel for a week, and would have chosen a Starwood property if not for the unusually high rates I found when shopping. I used the Revere as a fallback since it was just a block from the office.

The Revere has made a nice effort to be an upscale, boutique hotel, but it's just not there yet. It excels in a few areas and disappoints in others.

First, where it excels:
1. Lobby. Unique, modern and smells great, think of a Vegas casino like Venetian minus the smoke. Newspapers are plentiful and front desk staff is very nice and pleasant.
2. Rooms. I was upgraded to a junior suite and while the layout was a bit strange (I also tripped over the black coffee table looking for a light switch in the dark), the room's actual living area was set nicely off the main hallway, so noise was virtually nonexistent. Also, the rooms are nicely appointed with fresh carpet, GREAT soaps/shampoos and a comfortable bed. The bathroom in the suite is very small with zero counter space, but it's functional and gets the job done. Balconies provide private views and there is a safe, an umbrella and an iron provided.
3. Location. Fantastic area with everything from a public park to movies to tons of restaurants within walking distance.

The lows:
1. Internet. You can connect and stay connected to the free wireless, but the throughput goes to zero after about 10 minutes, requiring you to bounce the connection.
2. Hallways. Other reviewers weren't exaggerating - they do smell like vomit. How is it possible for EVERY floor to smell this way, especially when the lobby smells like a rose garden?
3. Elevators. Inefficient and should be much better since there are four cars. The lack of a service elevator and seemingly poor maintenance causes this problem. 5+ minute waits are common.
4. Service. The staff is really trying (for the most part), but they just don't get it done. The hotel offers a complimentary overnight shoe shine. I tried to use it my first night, no one ever picked up my bag. I told the staff and they "made a note of it". I tried the second night and again no pickup. I gave up despite the nightly turndown service placing the bag and instructions on my pillow each and every day of my stay. They also provide complimentary bottled water, but only for the first day. I called the front desk on my second day and they refused to send more. $250/night and you can't send up $1 worth of water? Pretty lame if you ask me.

The Revere also does not have a disposable laundry bag. Maybe I haven't stayed in enough of a variety of places, but I like to use the hotel disposable laundry bag for my dirty clothes to go into my suitcase. Not at Revere - their bag costs $10 if you want to take it home.

The breakfast at Rustic kitchen is just average at best. The buffet is $18 and does not included omelettes. You have hash browns, eggs, pancakes, fruit, tea, yogurt and cereal, but at a hotel in this price range, I expect omelettes and waffle iron as part of the deal. The OJ is fresh but you can do better at Panera Bread a block away.

The pool seems ok, but it's very old and musty. It reminds me of a fleabag motel pool vs. a nice hotel pool. The exercise room is a joke, too - a few treadmills and dumbbells, but hey, it's a hotel gym.

Overall, the Revere is nice and has high points. You can sleep without being disturbed and the upgrade was a nice touch. I would stay there again but I'm going to try a Starwood property nearby first before I go back.

• Stayed August 2012, travelled on business
1 Thank phiNole
Bonheiden
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 August 2012

This used to be the former Radisson. I am aware that on TripAdvisor there are many folks out dare that expect to get a castle at the price of a youth hostel. Let me assure you that i'm much more realistic than that. I just want the right service for a certain price.
The Revere in that respect is a mixed bag. The rooms are nice. Better than the average chain hotel even. Good bed, chaise longue, good tv etc. Strangely enough no mini bar? Strange for a business hotel. Staff is friendly in general but not always that fast or efficient. The elevators clearly stem from the Radisson days and are slow. In the morning I sometimes had to wait 15 minutes get down from the 23'rd floor. At one occassion at 7pm my room wasn't made up yet.
When I checked in after a 4 hr domestic flight at 11pm I found the only bar in the hotel to be closed already. And lastly, indeed, the pool and gym also were not considered during the upgrade cycles. net net: I ended up here, because it was the best 4* deal for that week in DT Boston. Was I totally unhappy? No. But was I pleased and would I recommend this to others? Not sure either. The place was designed by some sort of contemporary funky interior designer. But somehow the management processes didn't follow (yet). Still quite some room for improvement I'd say

• Stayed August 2012, travelled on business
2 Thank kdewitte27
Boston, Massachusetts
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 August 2012

We stayed at the Hotel Revere as part of a little "staycation" that also involved seeing Cirque du Soleil. I got a deal on Jetsetter, but the catch was that the hotel name wouldn't be revealed until the sale was over. When I got my confirmation email, I hadn't heard of the Hotel Revere. When I found out it was the old Radisson I thought "ugh," but figured I'd try and make the best of the situation.

I was pleasantly surprised when I made my way to the Hotel Revere to check in. It was an easy walk from the Green Line (or the Red), and while the awful facade of the hotel hasn't changed (ugly concrete), the lobby is lovely and smells delicious. Check-in was a breeze (I was a little worried about that part having booked through Jetsetter) and I was served a complimentary glass of champagne, asked if I needed directions to anything in the city, etc.

Our room was on the ninth floor - no issues with slow elevators for me. Yup, like other reviewers I noticed the funky carpet smell in the hallways, but I don't think someone *actually* vomited on the carpet, I think it's an unfortunate new carpet smell. Our room was not smelly, however, but clean and bright. It was also HUGE with two queen beds and tons of storage space if you're staying for a while - big closet, big set of drawers. The bathroom was spotless. We enjoyed the Skoah bath products (full sized, mounted on the wall. No, you can't take them with you, but this is one of the eco-friendly features I enjoyed, along with a recycle bin in the room!), huge towels, and comfy robes. The bed was incredibly comfortable. I had read reviews that they were sleep number beds, which I totally forgot when we stumbled into our room somewhere past midnight, but remembered the next morning when I rolled on to my husband's side, which was set softer than mine. I have no idea how you can have these beds adjusted, but obviously it's possible if you're motivated to have your "number" changed.

We didn't stay too long the next day - I wanted a swim in the pool, which we could see from our room, but the bed was so comfy we slept in (note: other reviewers mentioned that there were no "do not disturb" signs and that housekeeping knocked on the door very early - neither of these were true for us)! We also didn't take advantage of "VIP Access" at Rustic Kitchen or the Emerald Club, but would try that out if we came back for another stay.

I would definitely stay at the Hotel Revere again, especially when seeing a show in town - we were at the Garden, but the Theater District is RIGHT NEXT to the hotel, so it would be a super-convenient place to stay if you're seeing something over there. Also, the red and green lines are both a short walk away and since the neighborhood is busy, we didn't think twice about walking from the Boylston St stop to the hotel around midnight. You're also near Boston Common and Beacon Hill, so if you're visiting Boston and looking to do touristy things, the location is great. Rock Bottom is nearby for a drink or dinner, and as shady as it was around midnight (well not shady, but rather packed with bar-goers using the public bathroom, ew), 7-11 across the street was a convenient stop for water and snacks before heading to bed.

Room Tip: 919 was a nice corner room, away from the elevators and very quiet. We looked out over the South End...
  • Stayed August 2012, travelled as a couple
2 Thank wildorchid416
Stewartsville, New Jersey
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 August 2012

Showed up at hotel at 4PM to be told no rooms were available yet (Check-in is 3 PM). Front desk employee seemed annoyed that I was annoyed but I wrote it off to inexperience and that he probably was dealing with this issue for the better part of an hour. Regardless, they checked our bags so we could enjoy some time strolling around Boston and called a bit after 5 PM to advise our room was now ready. When we ultimately checked the second time the gentleman that gave us our keys could tell our initial experience had not been grande and without our asking provided us with a complimentary breakfast for the following morning...that did a LOT to take the edge off our annoyance. Job well done to make a bad start an enjoyable stay. Otherwise, hotel is conveniently located, comfortable and refreshingly new. Would recommend to future travelers visiting the Boston area for short or long stay.

Room Tip: Double Queen rooms for travel with child.
  • Stayed August 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank IrishWanderer61
Red Bank, New Jersey
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 August 2012

I was very excited to stay at this hotel because I knew it has been recently renovated. It also talked about a pool which I thought would be great to sit in after a day walking in the city. The girl that checked us in was super nice and offered champagne upon arrival. That was a nice touch. The bell boy was also very helpful. That being said, we travel often and the room was just ok. The bed was supposed to be a sleep number bed. It wasn't. Each morning that we were there the maids knocked on the door at 8:30 am to clean the room. Not fun. The pool was not nice at all. It was worse than a gym pool. Just an indoor pool with siding glass doors to a sparcely furnaces outside sitting area. The last problem was the elevators. It literally took fiv minutes to get an elevato at one point (and there were four of them). I though it was just me ad didn't say anything and then I heard other people complaining about it too. Overall, very friendly staff and an ok place to rest my head.

• Stayed August 2012, travelled with friends
Fairfield, Connecticut
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 August 2012

Nice individual character in rooms. Very clean, quiet and comfortable. Front desk very helpful and good central location. Good place for families and business travelers alike. Would like if they had Boston Globe in addition to standard issue USA Today and WSJ.

• Stayed August 2012