“Tim M sets customer service example”

Revere Hotel Boston Common
Ranked #38 of 84 Hotels in Boston
Reviewed 24 May 2014 via mobile

After an exhausting day we came back to the Hotel where we were greeted by Tim M at the front desk. Tim answered every question we had and made life much easier with his kindness&great sense of humor. He even put together a first aid kit for our blistered feet!

Stayed: May 2014
There are newer reviews for Revere Hotel Boston Common

Reviewed 24 May 2014

As my wife and I made our way through the lobby towards the registration desk, my high-hopes for this unique hotel were bolstered, and even further heightened after our efficient check-in was followed by the welcoming glass of champagne. As we entered our room, however, the bubble started to burst. Having booked a Superior Junior Suite King, perhaps my expectations were set too high, but my only comment after walking through the room was, "sure feels like a Radisson" (having visited Boston at least a dozen times in the last few years, I knew of it's former-life). After only two years since it's conversion/renovation, the carpet was worn-through and the wall covering looked tired. The bedroom "door" was a cheesy-looking hospital-style separation curtain that was coming apart. The coffee service was fine, but located near the floor under a side-table, making it impossible to use, but because it was already plugged in, it took some acrobatics to move it... and then to find only one regular coffee serving? Fortunately my wife packs her own Via. The closet was missing the promised umbrella and had only one robe (but two sets of slippers... oh boy!). The bedroom lighting was dismal (how does one pack up a suit case in the early morning, with only an LED snake light?). The balconies, which were a reason for getting the Jr Ste, were actually a detraction- with it's outside made of solid concrete, it blocked half of the view... yet was only deep enough for one person to stand-up.

On the positive side, the bathroom made excellent use of a difficult long-and-narrow space- very clean and functional. But a nice bathroom doth not a good experience make.

Details matter to be a "player" in a the competitive 4-diamond world. I hope the Revere catches on- it's in a great location, has a unique design theme, and a nice lobby. Too bad we had to sleep there.

Room Tip: Don't waste any money on the balcony.
1  Thank Alexander_Colorado
Reviewed 23 May 2014

I and my husband & son spent 3 nights at the Revere in May. To start our stay we were greeted with a glass of champagne! The room was spacious, the beds were extremely comfortable. We were celebrating a birthday and on our return to the room the first evening we were so very please to find a bottle of champagne and four small cakes along with a lovely note from Caroline as congratulations! Totally unexpected but so very perfect. The concierge, John, was a great help. Every morning he directed us to the best local breakfast restaurants in Boston. The food was superior in all. Thanks you to all the staff at the Revere. We will be back!

Reviewed 22 May 2014

Greeted at the front desk with complementary champagne, and a warm welcome from Tim M, who was manning the front desk. He was friendly and knowledgeable. He gave me a wonderful recommendation for dinner and it was as good as he said it would be. My room was spacious and appointed with all the little extra touches. The view from my balcony of the city was breathtaking! I would not only recommend that people stay here but that they would be missing out if they didn't. I will be back again and again!

Room Tip: I stayed in 2122 - great room with a great view.
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled solo
Reviewed 22 May 2014

The most expensive hotel of our whole trip here in the USA, the room is big, clean, very nice view from the balcony, the position is perfect to visit the city from the Front End to Back Bay. But guess what internet is not working...and it didn't work for the whole three days we were there, come on...this is acceptable!

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
Tim A, Front Office Manager at Revere Hotel Boston Common, responded to this reviewResponded 23 May 2014

Dear onofvv:

Thank you for your review and for your comments. We greatly appreciate constructive feedback as it allows us to improve our overall guest experience.

Over the next 6 weeks, we will be revamping our wireless internet options and will be not only replacing all routers to boost connection but we are almost doubling our band-with to handle the multi-device traffic that we are seeing. We hope to have this completed by July 4.

In addition to our complimentary option, we will be offering a $10/day option for a lightning-fast connection for those working or traveling on business where the expense will be covered. We are excited to be able to offer two wireless options, both of which will be great improvements over our current capacity.
I hope to welcome you back at some point in the future and thank you for your valuable comments.

Tim
Director Of Front Office

Hi,
I guess that this used to be a lower end hotel that has been spruced up. It is very modern in the lobby, but the rooms are nothing special. Small rooms and smaller bathrooms. It is in a good location for getting around Boston. Went to the bar one night and was turned away because it was 10 to five. Had to sit outside for ten minutes, even though all the staff was present. It has green lights and tables, looks like it is more nightclub than hotel bar. Pool was closed during our stay. I will find another hotel when I am in Boston. TV was horrible, very poor connection, very surprising in this day and age. Had them look at it, but did nothing. Highlight of the stay was dinner at the Rustic Kitchen, which was excellent.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family
Tim A, Front Office Manager at Revere Hotel Boston Common, responded to this reviewResponded 24 May 2014

Dear Lukerlou -

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience at Revere Hotel. Although it's always difficult to hear hard critiques, it's invaluable to get feedback as it allows us to improve our overall guest experience.

Please reach out to jdavis@reverehotel.com as we want to discuss your stay with you further. I hope we can welcome you back again. (Justin Davis, Asst Dir of Front Office)

Tim A
Director of Front Office

Reviewed 22 May 2014

Having stayed 2 nights a week for 12 weeks, I have a very thorough experience of the Revere, and I have to say it's good and bad.

Good = location (theater district, walk to the Common, Back Bay, Newbury St., easy transport), good size rooms, accommodating check-in crew, champagne while you wait (tho after the first couple times the novelty wears off), newly renovated pool and outdoor space, varied restaurants nearby. They have a "pillow menu" that you can use to order specialty pillows for delivery.

Bad = they use fancy bottled soap, shampoo & conditioner in the rooms, but it all is very highly scented. Lots of effort went into decor, but sometimes it still feels like a tired chain hotel (loose fixtures in some baths, ill-fitting sliding doors, balconies 14" deep, some very old beds). No mini-fridge or snacks, and room service is super slow and expensive (so good there are lots of restaurants nearby). Hotel restaurant and bar are completely un-inviting, and if you follow the elevator signs to the fitness center you'll end up lost in a maze of old (and seemingly disused) conference rooms.

Basically, this is an old Radisson that someone bought and tarted up. It's still a charmless concrete bunker, just with neat sculptures.You can choose to notice the free champagne and hip music, or you can choose to notice the peeling wallpaper and cheap shower heads. Up to you.

(I do wonder, after spending 24 nights there in three months, how it can be that no one says "welcome back" or otherwise acknowledges that fact. Boutique it may be, but even the big chains manage to notice when someone spends that many nights.)

(...and in case you're wondering, the company I'm working for 3 days a week short term makes these reservations. I would have moved somewhere else weeks ago if it were up to me...)

Room Tip: Don't take rooms near the elevator or on the 9th floor.
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled on business

Dear Kara -

Thank you for your review and detailed critique. Frankly many of the things you commented on are design and detail decisions made during renovation that we have very little control over like the bath amenities from Skoah. We opted for these large mounted bottles with a variety of scent options in our Green Initiatives and save over 100,000 mini plastic bottles from being produced per year. Our hope was providing 6 separate bottles to choose from would be something for everyone. I'm sorry you are not a fan.

What truly disturbs and embarrasses me is that you stayed on so many occasions and didn't feel recognized or re-welcomed after numerous visits. I know our staff is better than that and I apologize that we missed an opportunity to make you feel our hotel is your home away from home. It's a big miss on our part and I am sorry.

If you are continuing to travel to see us, please reach out before your next trip so we can best select a quiet room, with a view, and make sure all of your booking are linked from prior visits so our systems actually tell us you are a return guest.

I would be happy to handle your future stays personally to make sure you are well looked after in Boston.

I am on holiday for the next week but below is my email address as well as our Asst Director Of Front Office, Justin Davis who is working all week. I return on Friday of next week.

jdavis@reverehotel.com