“Conference Hotel”

GreenLeadersSilver level
Floyds Knobs, Indiana
“Conference Hotel”
Reviewed 17 July 2014

SNA annual conference was at Boston Convention Center. Hotel was on the shuttle line but no where close to conference. Hotel was nice, clean, staff pleasant, and was attached to the Mall.
The last thing in the world you want to hear in the middle of the night when your room is on the 17th floor is a fire alarm- not only did this happen one night it happened two nights. Once at 1:30 and the second at 5:20 a.m. We ended up not having to evacuate but it is very troublesome to be awakened in that manor.

Room Tip: The higher up the larger the room
Green Features: If you do not want clean towels or bed made you will receive points
1 Thank LindaKay1959

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (577)
  • Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Finnish first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed 17 July 2014

We stayed at the Sheraton for 3 nights and it was what you would expect from a top class hotel. We did have an issue with the desk on check in where we were booked into a twin room. the receptionist intermated we would not need a twin and proceeded to put us in a suposably upgraded room. when we arrived at our room we found it to be a room especially designed for someone with mobility difficulties. This meant it had a huge bathroom but the rest of the room was not well set out for us and quite small. We did contact the desk and were placed back into our original room. After this we were more than impressed as all the staff were very pleasant and helpful but it did leave us a bit bewildered as to the motive to move us in the first place.This hotel probably has one of the best locations as it is linked directly to the Prodential Centre so everything is very easy to get to. It has a Hop On Hop Off stop right at the front door so it is ideal for a first time tourist to Boston, which is a beatiful city. Thought it a bit strange also that we had to pay for wifi in our room but it was free in the lobby.

Green Features: I am all for not changing sheets and towells everyday and love hotels promoting this. Unfortunately I am not sure if this is a hotels focus or a way of cutting costs. I would like to see that the savings go to the enviroment and not profit.
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Michael R
NJ
Reviewed 17 July 2014

We stayed 7 days in this hotel as part of an onsite large convention. The location was great - an indoor entrance to the Prudential Center Mall with lots of restaurants and shops, and a block from a popular restaurant and shopping district. There are several "T" entrances in the area, including one inside the Prudential center. We were able to walk to and from the Amtrak Back Bay Station (a bit under two thirds of a mile), and if you are willing to hike a bit you can walk down to the Charles River. It is not too close to the Freedom Trail area or the harbor, which would be a very long walk or a T or cab ride.

Facilities were good for the convention of over 2000 people. There was a frequent wait at the elevators, but not unusual for a group of this size and a convention spanning several floors. The hospitality room was huge and it was always easy to find a seat. The AC seemed to be a bit too high most of the time so it was a bit too chilly.

The room was clean but small and not too well organized. We had a king size bed, but one side did not only not have a night stand but not even a reading light. That whole side was totally dark. There were no outlets near the one night stand (they were hidden behind the bed), so you couldn't even charge your phone at night near you. The small desk did have a couple of outlets but in general they were hard to come by.

Closet was small, but as there were few hangers it didn't make much of a difference.

Bathroom was cramped and tiny. The toilet pretty much blocked the access to the sink area and the bathtub. The safety bar in the bathtub was next to the toilet - if there was a way to use it to get out of the tub I couldn't figure it out. The only towel rack was in the shower.

Our view was of a brick wall across the way on the 8th floor of North Tower, although I was told many of the rooms had better views. The window coverings were a bit strange but did a good job of blocking what morning light there was.

It was usually quiet but we could easily hear talking in the hall which woke us up at least one night.

They could improve the comfort of the room a lot by adding wall lamp and/or night table to the other side of the bed, and a few well placed outlets.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
Broomfield, Colorado
Reviewed 16 July 2014

I was on a work trip, and my company booked this hotel. I was traveling with a group of 4 people total. We were all booked for separate rooms. When we arrived at the front desk, the manager on duty tried to force us to share rooms, because they hotel was oversold. This is a violation of our company contract so we refused to accept that. Two of my co-workers were sent to another hotel 4 miles away while myself and another co-worker were given keys to the 2 rooms they claimed they had available. When we go up to our rooms, we opened the door to find that the hotel had already given out these rooms as well. Both of our rooms were occupied, and the hotel gave us keys to an already occupied room. We ended up walking in on guests (2 separate occupied rooms). When we went to report this to the front desk manager, she sent us to a hotel 30 miles away in Norwood, MA. They claimed this was the closest hotel they could find. The front desk manager never apologized for the situation. She was also very careless by checking us into rooms that were already occupied which is a serious security violation. The ironic thing is that the rooms that we were all supposed to "share" were already occupied...perhaps they wanted us to share with other guests? I travel a lot for a living, and I stay in a lot of different hotels. This is by far the worst situation and experience I have ever encountered. This hotel should be embarrassed. Absolutely no apology was given, and they never took responsibility for the situation. They chose to blame other guests for the oversell situation rather than themselves. Hotels oversell...I understand that, but they had to be pushed to fix the situation. Blaming it on other guests and trying to pull a fast one to cover their tracks was pretty low.

2 Thank DerMatz
AngeVen, General Manager at Sheraton Boston Hotel, responded to this review, 22 July 2014
Dear DerMatz,
Thank you for your recent review. You are 100% correct in that I am embarrassed by the experience you have outlined here. I'm terribly sorry and I can only imagine how frustrating this must have been. I would like to connect with you directly so that I can ensure you'll give us a chance to make it up to you. Please reach out at GMAngelaVento@sheraton.com. I hope to hear from you soon.
Genuinely,
Angela Vento, General Manager
New York City, New York
Reviewed 16 July 2014

The Sheraton Boston has a few great things going for it, making it a very convenient place to stay for a convention at the Hynes. It is the closest hotel with direct access to the center. The property is in good condition, good beds, I even had a fantastic view of the Charles. To top it all off, it has an above average fitness center and great pool that is good for laps. In summary the property is great.
But... The staff is very poor, unhelpful and if something goes wrong there is no one to talk to. I had multiple problems with my stay, some that have yet to be resolved.

1) The fire alarm system was malfunctioning. I stayed 3 nights: on one night I was sent outside of my room at 1:30am for a false alarm, on another night I was awoken at 4am for a false alarm with a loudspeaker in my room blaring at me. When I complained of this at reception, no one seemed to care about the malfunction. Nothing they could do about. It happens. Hey, if I get woken up 2/3 nights for a hotel malfunction, I should at least get sympathy, if not tangible compensation.

2) The food is horrible and the room service is even worse. I took room service because I needed to get work done. The lady said breakfast would come in 25 minutes, 65 minutes later the food had not arrived and the lady at room service was rude when I complained about it. When the food finally arrived 75 minutes later, the pancakes were ice cold, the butter and syrup forgotten. In the end I got that taken off my bill, but I had to waste 3 phone calls and 20 precious minutes until I got someone with some service sense. Neither room service, nor guest services seemed to care.

3) There was a mistake on my bill, which still has not been resolved and my attempts to settle it waste my time and again, the people don't have minimal courtesy and at least pretense to want to help me.

I might come again, just because the property really is convenient to the convention center and I love to swim in the morning. Hopefully guests will not continue to have fire drills every night at the place. But, the people running such a fine property are better suited for a cheap motel chain in a 3rd world country. They made my blood rise. They all should be given a course in customer service 101.

Room Tip: The view facing the Charles on high floors is lovely and makes for great sunsets.
1 Thank peerster
San Diego, California
Reviewed 16 July 2014

Front dest/concierge unhelpful: We hadn't been to Boston for more than a decade and were excited to be attending a conference and staying close to the famous venue for the city's Fourth of July fireworks. We specifically requested a river view but the front desk clerk said she wasn't sure how much of a view we would have. We saw water in the distance, but not the Charles River we found out much later. We also found out later the hotel had numerous cancellations so could have changed rooms had we known. We asked at the concierge three times for suggestions on viewing the fireworks and none had any helpful ideas.
Housekeeping: We left a tip each day yet the staff unfortunately either did not vacuum or did not provide sufficient towels/amenities, or rearranged the furniture from the way we had it.
Hotel Food: Was okay, nothing special. So glad we went out to eat!
There are several other hotels in the immediate vicinity of the Prudential Center and next time we will choose one of them.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
Upper Marlboro, Maryland
Reviewed 16 July 2014

I stayed at this hotel 6 nights for a convention. Had I been on my own paying rack rates, I would have checked out. Many inconveniences. The bathroom was smaller than many chain motels. The grab bar in the tub was useless, as it was at the end by the toilet, where you couldn't exit the tub. Three drawers under TV, but no drawer in desk or the small nightstand. No outlet on nightstand. I had to move it away from the wall and plug in an extension cord to accommodate the lamp and my CPAP. One of the two phones didn't work properly, and it took 2 days to get a replacement. The LED lights on the room safe were faulty, so you couldn't verify the code when you locked it. Beds were OK, pillows fair (no foam pillows available).

Elevators often were very slow. I once waited 9 minutes (I timed it) for one to take me down to the lobby. No real restaurant (the lobby bar serves a very limited menu). I wound up with a Reuben sandwich for dinner that had very little meat on it. The clam chowder was OK.

The conference facilities were OK, except the the AV (from hotel) for my presentation was not set up as agreed.

The staff was nice, and the concierge was very knowledgeable and helpful.

The best thing about the hotel was its direct access to the indoor shopping mall next door.

Room Tip: Even numbered rooms in the North Tower face the river (I had an odd numbered room with an OK city vi...
1 Thank DaveC1942
Dear DaveC1942,
Thank you for your review, I appreciate your candor. I'm disappointed to read about the shortfalls you have highlighted here. It's evident that your experience did not reflect the service and product we pride ourselves on. I would value some additional information as it relates to your specific meeting as well as your room number so that I may resolves these issues for you. Please reach out directly at GMAngela.Vento@sheraton.com. I hope to hear from you soon so that I can extend my apologies and we can start to work on rebuilding your confidence in us.
Kind Regards,