“Enjoyed my stay”

Sheraton Boston Hotel
Ranked #53 of 84 Hotels in Boston
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed 17 August 2014

The Sheraton is a nice hotel in a great area. I am a Platinum SPG member and at check-in a lot of effort was made to get me a suite. It was a nice large room with a fantastic view of the Charles river. The staff was extremely helpful - gave me access to the club lounge at 8 am on my day of arrival and even arranged for me to spend an extra night, cancelling a reservation at another hotel without penalties. The hotel's location is great with lots of shopping near by. I was in town on business and needed access to the financial district almost 2 miles away (where hotels were extremely expensive). The weather was good, and I enjoyed the walk back and forth, but keep in mind that a cab ride in rush hour can take 30 minutes. My only complaint is that the the club lounge is small and extremely crowded when the hotel is busy.

Reviewed 16 August 2014

This hotel is an enormous convention hotel -- the largest in Boston. Its attached to a mall and a T stop which was convenient.

We found our room clean, large and comfortable. My only complaint would be that the plumbing was loud. I heard noise every time someone used a sink, toilet or shower in their bathroom nearby. I would think a large hotel would have thought that out.

We stayed at the hotel as tourists and there are no real touristy things to do nearby but the T makes the hotel fairly convenient.

Room Tip: I wouldn't necessarily want to be at the top. It would take too long to get on the elevator.
Reviewed 14 August 2014

I checked-in at the Sheraton in Boston, MA on Thursday (08.14.2014). I arrived at approx. 1:30pm and waited on a line for 20-30 minutes waiting to check-in. Admittedly, I attempted to check-in early. The room I reserved and partially paid for in advance was in the queue to be cleaned.

My reservationist, "Alex", checked-me in, and asked if I would not mind waiting until the room was cleaned. I agreed (because I arrived early), gave Alex my cell number, and was told I would receive a call when the room was ready. I decided to check-in my bag at the baggage desk while waiting for the call re: my room being ready.

At approx. 3:45pm, I returned to the check-in desk and asked what was the status of the room cleaning. I was told that some additional time would be needed to clean the block of rooms that was reserved for a convention that I planned to attend.

At approx. 6:15, I returned to the check-in desk and again asked what was the status of the room cleaning. This time I was told by a manager, Ryan "?", that still more time would be needed to clean the room. At approx. 6:20pm, I spoke to Ryan again, while Alex was present, and expressed displeasure at having to wait 3.5 hours for a room that should have been available at 3pm. The hotel had my reservation (and credit card number), and it knew I planned to arrive.

Ryan typed some information while at the check-in desk and found a room for me; although it needed to be cleaned because a duvet cover was missing from one of the double beds. I agreed to accept the room knowing that housekeeping needed additional time to place the duvet cover on the bed. Before Ryan gave me the room keys, I asked whether the room had Wi-Fi. Ryan confirmed that the room had Wi-Fi, at no cost.

After waiting approx. 30 minutes to pick-up my bag from the baggage desk, I arrived in the room which had a stellar view of the hvac system of a neighboring building. Ten minutes thereafter, I attempted to access the Internet via Wi-Fi. Without having success, I called guest services and requested assistance. The associate put me on hold while she tried to resolve my log-in issue. After being place on hold without any communication from the associate, I hung up and re-dialed guest services. The same associate answered the phone and she was able to transfer my call to another associate who told me to attempt to log-in again after 30 seconds. My subsequent attempt to log-in was successful.

And, as soon as I logged in, I received a call from the Sheraton (617.236.2000). The called told me that my room was ready. I told the caller I was already in a room at the Sheraton hotel and asked what was the "new" room assignment? I asked because I wondered whether the "new" room had a view that differed from the neighboring building's HVAC system. The caller was not able to provide me with the "new" room number because doing so would be against hotel policy.

As a convention attendee and due to circumstances beyond my control, I need to stay at the Sheraton Boston (MA) through the weekend. At approx. $250/night, I am absolutely disgusted with the level of service provided thus far. And to add insult to my injury, while on the elevator riding up to my room, I overheard two other guests smile with glee about the food coupons and room discount they received from one of the customer service managers.

I can't seem to shake the aura of Charlie Brown. Stay tuned for the rest of my saga and stay away from the Sheraton Boston (MA)!

3  Thank Kelli H
AngeVen, General Manager at Sheraton Boston Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 22 August 2014

Dear Kelli H,
Thank you for submitting a review. I can imagine how frustrating this must have been and I appreciate the opportunity you have afforded me to uncover why there were so many errors made here. I'd like to resolve this for you and regain your confidence, please reach out at GMAngelaVento@sheraton.com so that we can work on rebuilding your trust.
Kind Regards
Angela Vento, General Manager

Reviewed 13 August 2014

Service is a bit spotty - not enough attention paid to guests at front desk even if you are SPG member. Concierges need training in how to follow up and how to give information- can be cold and rude about information about how to get to the hotel inexpensively from Logan Airport (shuttle vans are unreliable and Logan is not an easy airport from which to travel to city). It might be better if the various Starwood properties located around the Prudential Center had a shared shuttle bus service from the airport.
Housekeeping not up to par - they leave carts in the hallways and discarded napkins and silverware on the carpet overnight. Never saw that in any other hotel at that level.
Few amenities in the room - could have used a shower cap, cotton swabs for makeup. No information in the room about how to obtain such amenities or facilities at the hotel. That could be useful even if they put it on hotel TV channel if they don't want to print anything...
Breakfast in APropos restaurant was excellent - local cottage cheese was delicious - but staff could be less concerned about getting tips and more focused on customers, particularly single older women eating alone. Hosts generally cold and disinterested as well, but the food is really good.
Prudential Center is beautiful - major department stores, Legal Sea Foods outlet. All are connected and that is useful in winter weather.
Overall, would recommend and would stay again if the spotty service and airport transportation issues are improved.

Room Tip: I was told my view was a good one since it looked at the Charles River, but it really faced a roof t...
1  Thank Tokyolifestyle
Reviewed 12 August 2014

We had a deluxe suite, and that was "cozy," as I applaud Sheraton's efforts to put appropriately small furniture in a (perhaps surprisingly so) small room. (So don't plan on doing any sit-ups, if that is what you like to do while you're on the road.) Yet the room was squeaky clean, and the bar downstairs was lively and welcoming; the fitness center, the pool, and the location: all are perfect. Really, in the Back Bay--look at my reviews, I've stayed at most of them--this is about as good as it gets. We all like having a Starbucks in the lobby, don't we? If you're parking a car, then rob a bank before you arrive, since, on that point, Sheraton has no shame. They will gouge you with an icy indifference which will make your reluctantly proud of corporate America. Thus, caveat emptor, and enjoy Boston.

2  Thank Barracoon
Reviewed 11 August 2014

Booked this 5 days in advance, for a Yankees v. Red Xox Game. Location was prime with shopping in abundance at the Prudential Center, as it is attached to the Sheridan and you can walk right into the mall from the hotel itself. Upgraded our room for a mere $24 to club level room.... Great choice. Snacks, drinks, wonderful breakfast with an assortment of pastries and muffins. At dinner time, they had a nice "light" buffet if you will, Meats, cheese's , and other assorted treats. Our room was a King size bed, top floor. Wonderful view (View of Fenway from the Club Room!). The only complaint... The bathrooms are small and could use some freshening up. The staff was very very professional and helped out with any questions we had. I will stay agin!

Room Tip: Whether you Valet it or Park in the garage... the cost is the same... so Valet it... makes it easier...
1  Thank WJL56
Reviewed 11 August 2014

I was in town for a conference and the Sheraton was the conference hotel. It is a huge property and I was anticipating long elevator lines, and long lines at check-in and concierge. Not the case. Check-in and check-out took only minutes. The concierge was super and I never had to wait more than a few minutes to ask a question. Great location. Room was large and provided excellent view of the river and Cambridge. There was always some hotel employee just standing in the lobby greeting guests and asking if they needed anything. Fantastic hotel.

2  Thank DeuceCaptain
AngeVen, General Manager at Sheraton Boston Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 1 September 2014

Dear DeuceCaptain,
Thank you for this excellent review. We welcome your feedback and are glad to hear you enjoyed your experience and the team was able to accommodate your needs! We work hard to make every guest's experience personal even in a hotel of our size so thank you for recognizing that. We hope to see you again soon.
Kind Regards,