“Great Back Bay Stay”

Sheraton Boston Hotel
Ranked #51 of 84 Hotels in Boston
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed 23 August 2014

Just returned from a mid week trip to Boston. I stayed at the Sheraton Boston in Back Bay. I had read reviews about small rooms, but come on people... get out and see Boston and the size of the room isn't significant. Took my daughter for her first trip to Boston. Saw the sights, and love to stay in Back Bay.

Room Tip: I stayed on the 24th floor. Never had to wait on an elevator, and the view was awesome.

Reviewed 23 August 2014

The Sheraton Boston in the back bay area is a great location - pretty much central to everything in Boston, and with lots of interesting places to explore within walking distance. And, this is definitely a great place for those who love to shop. We stayed on the 28th floor in a lovely clean suite, and the view of the Charles River, MIT and surroundings was breathtaking. The pool and other amenities were also appreciated. This was my second stay at this property, and the main thing that impressed me both times was how incredibly warm and friendly the hotel staff were. It is a very busy hotel. One local concierge mentioned that she has heard the hotel lobby is "high energy," and that is true. Yet the staff were amazing and truly made us feel welcome. I am very pleased to strongly recommend this hotel for your business or pleasure trips.

Room Tip: Floors 26-29 have free wifi and 24-7 access to the lounge.
  • Stayed: August 2014, travelled with family
AngeVen, General Manager at Sheraton Boston Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 1 September 2014

Dear CDC0123,
What wonderful sentiments to share about our team. We try very hard to ensure each guest's experience is personalized and we appreciate you noting that in your review. We look forward to welcoming you back!

Reviewed 23 August 2014 via mobile

True. It is a great location. But parking at $49 a night is a sceme. Next door parking ia 40$ a night and thats what the valet is telling everyone. That you can dail a number and get a $130 monthly pass also for weekends and nights is unfortunately not noticed. So if you stay more then three nights and you have a car. Do not park it at the hotel.
Besides that: good hotel. As SPG gold member we got late checkout and free wifi. One of the two towers is still to be renovated. So choose the south tower is possible.
Inside Starbucks is awesome. See tripadvisor for good reviews.
Staff late in the evening at the bar is very old, very nice and friendly, but not fast of course.
But...great spot to have as a base camp when exploring the Boston region!

Stayed: August 2014
1  Thank TomWildenburg
Reviewed 23 August 2014 via mobile

It is located a bit out of the way from historical sites. I might choose commons area for ease of sight seeing. We rode t to historical area each day. Great local for shopping and convention center. Best thing is the back bay express that picks up near hotel $5 to airport wow what a deal. Hotel crowded and chaotic in lobby. Room clean and nice. Many restaurants within walking distance. Senior rate included breakfast which was nice. Had to store luggage while waiting for room. Luggage attendants were great. Very accommodating and did not make you feel a nuisance why no free wifi ? It really would increase my satisfaction.

Stayed: August 2014

Dear TMG_Escape,
Thank you for your kind review. I'm pleased that you enjoyed your experience. While we are not located next to all of the historic sights, we are located very central to Newbury Street, the Christian Science Center as well as the Museum of Fine Arts and Fenway Park. So we really have a lot to offer location wise. We're glad that you were impressed with your room as well as the easy options with luggage available through the front desk. Come and see us again soon and see what our side of the city has to offer!

Reviewed 21 August 2014

Excellent accommodation with large rooms, king size bed and everything else you require. Our room was number 2433 on the twenty fourth floor with a lovely view over the city. Hotel is adjacent to the Back Bay Area and just 2 blocks from great shopping and an abundance of restaurants in Newbury Street. Hop on hop off town trolley bus picks up from outside hotel. Wi fi is free in reception area and $11 in room for 24 hours. Hotel has large indoor pool and gym plus outdoor sun deck on the fifth floor with plenty of sun lounges and some umbrellas if you require some shade. Stayed in August, it takes until about 12 noon until you get full sun in the outdoor courtyard and stays that way until sets. Great spot to relax. Highly recommend.

Room Tip: Any floor above the 6th would be ok. We had the 23 rd floor in the north tower and friends were on t...
  • Stayed: August 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Robyn1006
Reviewed 21 August 2014

Horrible experience for the amount of money i have been charged! It justs seem that the hotel is very eager to get money but not willing to offer any extra services for it. There are so many hotels in the Boston area and i will make sure next time i will choose a different one!

Room Tip: Don`t get room 913!!! It is a Closet!
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled on business
2  Thank Mark B
AngeVen, General Manager at Sheraton Boston Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 22 August 2014

Dear Mark B,
The title of your review clearly illustrates your dissatisfaction, but I wish I knew what you were unhappy with. If you'd like to share any feedback that would direct us to where enhancements could be made, we'd love to hear about it. I hope to hear from you. GMAngelaVento@Sheraton.com

Reviewed 20 August 2014

On the surface, the Sheraton in Boston is very nice. The rooms are clean and well furnished, there's plenty of helpful staff, and there's even wifi in the lobby! That's just the surface, however. One major issue is the wifi. Not only do you have to pay for it in the rooms, it doesn't work in the lobby. While you are able to connect to the wifi, it doesn't in fact work or allow you to connect. The bigger problem with this hotel is the shower situation. The showers have barely any water pressure. I was on the 6th floor and I had to kneel in the shower in order to get to a point where the water could even begin to wash off my soap and shampoo. Even though the shower head had several settings, none were sufficient. A shower that normally takes me no more than twenty minutes took over an hour. While weak showers are a problem in themselves, another issue was the fact that the switch that allows you to increase the pressure had clearly been blocked so that you couldn't switch the pressure from low to high, though it was clear that the shower was meant to have two strengths. When I went to inquire whether it is possible to increase the shower pressure, I was told that "there's nothing we can do about it. That's how the showers are." As the woman I had asked told me this, she had a smug expression on her face and, while her words told me there was nothing they could do, her voice and attitude said "Sucks for you." I can understand if the showers are weak, but I felt that the attitude was unnecessary. This experience negatively colored my entire stay and it ended up being an unpleasant stay rather than an enjoyable one.

1  Thank hippolover22

Dear hippolover22,
Thank you for taking time to share your experience. I'm so sorry to hear that you had trouble with the wifi and your guest room shower. There are different networks for different areas of the lobby, perhaps the incorrect network was showing as available, regardless I apologize that it was not more straight forward. I'd appreciate if you could reach out directly so I can identify the room and have the issue retified. I'm disappointed to hear that when you voiced your concern you did not receive a helpful response, I would value any information you could share about that interaction as well. I hope to hear from you so that we can resolve this for you.