“" You Don't get what you pay for.”
Review of Taj Boston

Taj Boston
Ranked #35 of 83 Hotels in Boston
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Riverhead, New York
“" You Don't get what you pay for.”
Reviewed 18 July 2011

The hotel is in very conveinent location, down town Boston. Across is a beautiful park with a great downtown of Boston shopping and food.3 Times room service just walk in,twice without knocking. check velet parking pricing as they dont tell you when you book the room which can add to be very expensive if you living there for more then two days. over all service is nice but very slow. "SRK"

• Stayed July 2011, travelled with family
1 Thank sonny7861

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (513)
  • Greek first
  • Hebrew first
  • Slovak first
Detroit, Michigan
Reviewed 17 July 2011

I arrived at the Taj Boston just past noon. When I went to check in, the clerk behind the desk informed me that my room was not ready as the previous guest had just checked out. I inquired if it were possible to put me into another room as I had a business meeting at 3pm and would need to change into proper attire and freshen up after my flight. The clerk informed he "had nothing at my rate" (in a tone I found quite condescending, especially since "my rate" was the result of my company booking myself and 20 other clients and coworkers into the hotel for this paticular meeting). In 20 years of business travel I have never had a problem checking into a hotel a few hours early. The clerk said he would put my room as priority for cleaning but it would still take sometime. I left my bag and decided to go have lunch and take a stroll. Before leaving I again reminded the clerk I had a 3 pm meeting and would appreciate it if the room could be ready. I arrived back at the Taj about 2 hours later, there was now a new clerk at the desk. This clerk informed me that my room was not ready as the previous guests had just checked out. I mentioned that I had heard the same thing from the previous clerk 2 hours earlier. Again there was nothing they could do and they could not find me another room. When I inquired about a place to quickly change and freshen up, I was shown the way to the public bathrooms outside of the conference rooms.
That evening when I returned my room was ready to check in however my bag was now locked in the bell hop's room and apparently only the bell hop could get it out. I needed my bag immediately as I now had to change for dinner and knowing just checking in took several hours and several attempts I was not prepared to wait until someone could bring it to my room. So I wait almost a half hour for the bell hop to come back and unlock the room so I could have my bag.
When I finally made it to my room I was greeted by a stained carpet and tired looking furniture. The room was not uncomfortable or unclean (other than the carpert), it just did not live up to my expectations of a five star hotel.

Room Tip: Don't stay here. The Four Seasons is much better in regards to service and updated rooms.
  • Stayed July 2011, travelled on business
1 Thank Theonlyduck
San Jose, California
Reviewed 13 July 2011

Having stayed at the Four Season each time we have visted Boston we decided to try the Taj. It is located in a superb location, across the street from Boston Common and centrally located to shops, dining, Fenway and downtown. The hotel was nice and the staff accommodating but I would definitely not rate this a five star hotel! We arrived at 6 a.m. and there was no bellhop or valet at the front door. I don't mind bringing my own luggage in by any means but when you claim to be a five star hotel there should be someone there to greet the guests. This has been my past experience. The young lady at the desk was great and got us settled in our rooms. When we arrived in our room, we did not have a dresser. We were staying for a week and this was unacceptable. I went downstairs and requested a dresser and she stated they would call engineering and deliver one within 30 minutes.
Unfortunately, our non-smoking room definitely had a smoker in it prior to our visit. When I went down to the front desk they did tell me they were a non-smoking hotel, which I know, but that certainly does not mean everyone follows the room. My husband, who is severely allergic to smoke and has suffers from asthma, smelled it as soon as he walked in the room. After speaking with a second person, he apologized and did acknowledge that it happens sometimes and some guests don't mind paying the 250 room charge to have the convenience of smoking in their rooms. His solution? Although he was very kind, he offered to have the draperies and carpet steam cleaned, chairs swapped, an air filtration unit and all the linens removed. Smoke sticks to everything- even walls. I told him we would like to change rooms event if it meant us been charged more for an upgrade. He stated there were no rooms available for the next three days and this was the best they could do. This seemed like a lot of work and knowing how much my husband suffers with allergies knew this would be unacceptable. This is where James in concierge comes in.

He had been working on something for us and I mentioned this to him. He said he would see what he could do and left to speak to a manager. When he returned he told us our room had been changed and they would send a bellhop right away to help move the luggage. I was very grateful!

In addition, James was extremely helpful the entire week with car rental (had the car dropped off and picked up at the hotel), restaurant reservations, tickets and more (took care of billing errors after our stay!). He was a pleasure to work with!

As far as rooms, they are decorated very nice but I will say the same thing a number of reviewers have commented on- the carpets in the rooms are absolutely filthy! There were 3 rooms between friends and family (not including the room we had for 2 hours) and they were all pretty disgusting. You absolutely have to upgrade or you will end up with the view our friends had - staring into rooftop, air conditioning units and windows. I The staff was fine but had it not been for James in Concierge, our hotel stay would have been miserable. Would I stay here again? It would not be my first choice but I would sure miss James!

• Stayed June 2011, travelled with friends
1 Thank TerryR18
Boston, Massachusetts
Reviewed 13 July 2011

Very clean, great service, excellent location, good food, 15 mins from airport, great value and if you get a park view it's fantastic.
Definitely recommend the Taj Boston.

• Stayed July 2011, travelled as a couple
Lodz, Poland
Reviewed 29 June 2011

Our stay at the Taj was great! The service was perfect and the employees were extremely pleasant and helpful. The Bar was great for drinks and light fare. Afternoon tea was a wonderful experience. The Taj was the best hotel we have stayed at in Boston. Great location as well. The Taj is a step above most hotels in the city - and they help has been with this facility even before when it was The Ritz location. They recognize you almost immediately, not necessarily by name, but "welcome you back"...every time I arrive there. You would be hard pressed to find a better location to Newbury Street, The Commons, Theatre, Restaurants - all that my "home" city has to offer! All in all having been in some of the top hotels in the world I think the TAJ is one of the best and definaly the only one I will stay at when in Boston.

Stayed April 2011, travelled as a couple
Cheshire England
Reviewed 29 June 2011

As everybody confirms The Taj is in a perfect central Boston location with one elevation looking out towards the common.

Getting there from Logan is easy and on arrival we were met by 3 friendly staff that assisted in getting our luggage off our transport.

On checking in the staff couldn’t have been more helpful and polite and when we checked out 8 days later we were given our room at no extra cost until 5pm...how thoughtful and civilised!

The concierge was most helpful and knowledgeable on more than one occasion- they will also help with getting on-line flight boarding tickets.

Our room on the 10th floor was more typically European size but was perfectly laid out, spotlessly clean and extremely well maintained.

We had all we required, personally I don’t like kettles ,cups and cartons of milk and sachets of sugar etc in the room, it reminds me too much of cheap motels so their absence was a positive...if anyone is that desperate for a fix of tea or coffee why can't they order from room service or even wander to a local Starbucks ?

Wi-Fi reception was excellent and was about $10 per day which is slightly annoying but is all too typical and if you need it for business it is somewhat of an irrelevancy......and if you just want it for "pleasure" and are desperate to visit the ether then why not just tootle down to the coffee shop 100yds away and spend your days glued to a screen for free?

The room fridge was well stocked and for this standard of hotel reasonably priced.

Room service, maid and evening turn down was of the highest standard - 10 out of 10!

Breakfast was a real pleasure however the small restaurant room filled quickly at peak times, many of the clientele were locals not guests.
I can really recommend the eggs Benedict – superb.
The restaurant staff are polite,busy and attentive, the seating ultra comfortable and all in all it is a great experience, the perfect way to start your day.

In hot weather the air conditioning in both rooms and public areas was always at a perfect level.

The bar is fabulously sumptuous – decor and ambiance, it has everything spot on perfect!
The drinks are served in the "old way" thankfully and by staff that has been doing the job for many years and their calm professionalism is clear for all to see...the cocktails – try a Newbury – are delicious.

We ate dinner informally in the bar twice – simple fare at sensible prices - Kobe burger, shrimps Ceasar,clam chowder- all excellently presented and high quality.

This is an old school 5 star hotel and therefore the rates it charges reflect this so when you book there appreciate this ......so to those who complain of high cost for this and that I ask “what did you expect?”

You pay for what you get and at the Taj you get a lot.

If you are used to this standard of hotel the rates are certainly not exorbitant, in fact they are significantly less than an equivalent hotel in London or Paris!

Room Tip: Pre-book a park view on an upper level floor.
  • Stayed June 2011, travelled as a couple
2 Thank MarionMontgomery
Kolkata (Calcutta), India
Reviewed 24 June 2011

The hotel is wonderfully located and although the rooms a wee bit small, they were great to stay. The service was top class and the banquet arrangements were perfect. For the tourist you are at the cultural & social centre of Boston.

• Stayed November 2010, travelled on business