“taj could have done much better”
Review of Taj Boston

Taj Boston
Ranked #34 of 83 Hotels in Boston
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Singapore, null, Singapore
“taj could have done much better”
Reviewed 27 July 2012

the hotel was built over 70 years ago and taj bought it recently, the hotel interiors might have been renovated but the lifts are old, you have to wait for 15 minutes, the thermostat in the room seems to be 70 years old which is very difficult to set temprature on, the lobby decor is pathetic, the luggage from all guests is piled up all over the lobby...overall not upto taj standards

• Stayed July 2012, travelled with family
TajBostonManagement, Manager at Taj Boston, responded to this review, 30 July 2012
Dear Guest,

Thank you for leaving your comments on this forum. We have made various refurbishments and one large renovation over the past few years, and we do our best to maintain the hotel's classic style. I apologize for the issues you faced, and have passed your comments along to our Hotel Manager to handle. We hope you had a nice visit to Boston, and thank you for staying at the Taj.

Taj Boston Management

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (523)
  • Greek first
  • Hebrew first
  • Slovak first
Gurgaon
Reviewed 26 July 2012

We were there for 6 nts and had a great stay. However what happened on the last day left a very sour taste. We had checked out in the morning and had asked the bell hop to keep our luggage with them so that we could collect it on our way out in the evening. To our utmost surprise, when I returned in the evening to collect my bags, I realized that my brand new pair of shoes and 2 pairs of sun glasses were missing from my bags. The hotel was completely clueless on how this happened and couldn't come up with any solution. Since I was getting late for my train I had no option but to leave it at that. Such a thing is not expected at the Taj and I was very disappointed with this experience.

• Stayed July 2012
Dear Guest,

Thank you for staying at Taj Boston, we are pleased you had a nice visit. It is very infortunate to hear that some of your belongings have been lost, and I have informed the appropriate departments to conduct a search. If you have not reported this issue to one of our staff members already, please email me your contact information and a description of each item so we can contact you if any of your belongings are found. My email address is alana.hagarty@tajhotels.com. Thank you for making us aware of this issue, and we do hope to find your belongings as soon as possible.

Reviewed 25 July 2012

Great location. We were only there one night and I had a 100 bill stolen from the room. Very disappointed in how it was handled. Still waiting on a response from them. I would have thought a hotel of this caliber would want to make this right. Just sort of puts a stain on the experience.

• Stayed July 2012
TajBostonManagement, Manager at Taj Boston, responded to this review, 26 July 2012
Dear Guest,
I apologize for the inconvenience you experienced during your recent stay. Your recent review has been passed along to our Hotel Manager who will look into this situation further and be in touch with you.

Should you have any questions in the meantime please feel free to contact the hotel. Thank you.
Buenos Aires, Argentina
Reviewed 25 July 2012

Having read somewhat mixed reviews, I had some trepidation about the hotel, but my fears were mostly unfounded. My room was spacious, comfortable and had nice features. Great location, helpful staff, and the bathroom was adequate, despite warnings of how tiny it was - it was certainly adequate with plenty of hot water and assorted Molton Brown amenities. Pleasant surprises included bottled water each day, a very comfortable bed, great city view and a daily newspaper. (I was elated to find the Sunday NYT at my door without asking.) I asked if the room had a coffee maker, was told no, but one would be provided, and it was, free. On the negative side, the daily internet charge (which I avoided) was an annoyance. My only real complaint was the flat screen TV which very often had loud static and some stations were problematic (CNN either had picture and no sound or v.v.).

• Stayed July 2012, travelled on business
Dear Guest,
We are happy to hear that you were pleasantly surprised by your recent stay at Taj Boston. In regards to the television issues, these notes have been passed along for our Engineering Department to follow up with.
We hope you come back and stay with us again soon!
Monterrey, Mexico
Reviewed 24 July 2012

This a top notch luxury hotel, located just across the street from the Commons park. My wife loved it, the room was perfect, the bathroom spacious, everything very clean, the beds comfortable.

There is a T (subway) station less than two minutes away, so you can get anywhere in Boston very easy. In fact, we took the subway to the airport and were there in around 20 minutes.

This hotel is very expensive, but we got a great rate from yeego.com. The restaurant is also very expensive, but there are a lot of good places to eat nearby.

All in all, we were very happy during our stay. I would definitely recommend it and would use it again (if yeego.com still has a good rate).

• Stayed July 2012, travelled with family
TajBostonManagement, Manager at Taj Boston, responded to this review, 25 July 2012
Dear Guest,

Thank you for staying at the Taj on your recent trip to Boston with your family. We greatly appreciate your kind words, as it is always wonderful to hear such praise from our guests. I am happy you were able to take advantage of one of our online rates. On your next stay at the Taj, I invite you to take a look at the promotions section on our website to find the best available rates for your and your family. Until then, we will look forward to welcoming you back to Taj Boston.

Hong Kong, China
Reviewed 24 July 2012

Thought id take a break from the Interocn, Ritz and the likes and decided to stay in Taj Boston and was excited about the combination of the old inn charm with Taj management, but didnt live up to standards. If you are looking for an expensive inn next to the park, then this is your place, else pick any of the other names like Ritz, 4seasons, InterCon, Seaport, etc will be a much better choice. or even the Marriotts or Hiltons.

The rooms were only "okay", very plain and boring, nothing compared to the luxury feel of the other Taj properties and the modern functional feel of the other Boston business hotels.
The bathroom was comically tiny and for a larger person, i can imagine how difficult the toilet must be to sit on! It was for me!
The thermostat is not digital and even though it was pulled down to the coolest, it still felt warm.
Service seems to be very confused.. when i asked for a coffee maker, it took two guys and a few calls from me to get the complete kettle-coffee-sugar-milk set! i should have just asked for pot of coffee!

The funny thing is, when i went to bed early after a long flight in, i had the Do not disturb sign on my door, but i got a call from the reception - "hello sir, we tried your door but since there is a sign, we are calling to find out.."... defeats the purpose of the sign, doesnt it! Perhaps it was out of obligated courtescy since i had called about why the water was not replaced during turn-down service . and even the coffee cups werent removed/replaced!

But finally after a couple of shifts, they got it right.. water, coffee, cups were replaced, milk in the minibar and with a handwritten note and cookies. Though i appreciated it, it should be that hard to get coffee and water right.

The staff were courteous most of the time, one of them was very cranky.. probably because i overheard many guests complaining to him and one lady was demanding her room to be changed.

One very positive surprise was when i was getting late to a meeting and there were no taxis, they offered me a drop in the jag.

Even though most of the staff were courteous, good location of the hotel, small hotel charm, etc, there were more negatives than positives that brought down the overall experience. From next time, i would rather stay in the other names that i mentioned (little price difference)

• Stayed July 2012, travelled on business
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to share your comments with us on TripAdvisor. I was very disappointed to hear about your recent experience at our hotel, and I have shared your feedback with our Hotel Manager in order to facilitate follow-up. We do our best to provide the best experience possible to all our guests, and we clearly did not meet our usual service standards on this day. I would like to extend our sincerest apologies and do hope the rest of your business trip to Boston was a success.

Vancouver, Canada
Reviewed 22 July 2012

Think old world, graceful lines, VIP treatment and truly thoughtful service...the Taj delivers on every level. We spent 4 nights here in June - 2 on business and 2 more to spend discovering all that Boston has to offer. Directly across from the park, the Taj is perfectly located for short walks that turn into long discoveries. Rates vary hugely depending on whether there is a conference in town,but this is no different than any other major hotel. I'm surprised to read some negative comments in Tripadvisor - our room was delightful and had every possible amenity.

• Stayed June 2012, travelled on business