“Just As It Should Be.”

Taj Boston
Ranked #34 of 84 Hotels in Boston
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Reviewed 5 December 2012 via mobile

I'll admit, after having enjoyed this place as The Ritz and knowing what this hotel meant to Boston for my lifetime, and having read so many negative comments, I was very reluctant to stay here, notwithstanding the very good rates offered when compared to other properties. I'm going to confirm my reluctance as unfounded! We all know the location, which no one could dispute as anything other than perfect, however walking into the lobby from Arlington St STILL feels special, this is a beautifully designed and maintained hotel. Likewise my room is very fine indeed, the bed is extremely comfortable and it exudes luxury. For the rate I'm paying it's an absolute steal. My only comment would be that it seems cool even when working the thermostat but I did NOT call to ask about this as I enjoy a cool room so I'm noting but not criticizing it. The Bar meanwhile is perfection, old school perfection. Unlike The Four Seasons which I have always loved, they have mercifully NOT installed a tv here! The waiters seem to have been here forever, heaven bless them! They know their jobs well! So naysayers begone. Taj is doing a fine job with the dear old girl.

• Stayed: December 2012

Reviewed 5 December 2012

From the check-in, to the room, to the breakfast, you can't fault this place. Room 635, lovely view over the gardens and common, breakfast is to die for, eggs benedict was very special. Coming from London I would say that this would be like staying in Bond St, it has all the designer stores on your doorstep, some really nice restaurants locally too. I would definetly stay here again, it's not my style in terms of decor as it's very old fashioned however, it never put me off. I would stay again if I was in town.

Room Tip: Facing the Common
  • Stayed: November 2012, travelled on business
TajBostonManagement, Manager at Taj Boston, responded to this reviewResponded 6 December 2012

Dear Essexbloke,

Thank you so much for your kind words! I am thrilled to hear you had a lovely stay at Taj Boston. Our central location and cuisine are what keep many of our loyal guests coming back, and it is wonderful to hear we exceeded your expectations.

Thank you for leaving your review and I hope you choose to stay at the Taj on your next visit to Boston!

Taj Boston Management

Reviewed 4 December 2012

I stayed November 28-29 for a Celtics game. GO PAUL PIERCE.... Staff was extremely helpful and let us check in early. Beautiful Hotel very clean and elegant. The first night we stayed on the newer side (renovated in 1995) bigger rooms and excllent views of the gardens/parks. We enjoyed the location and hotel so much we checked back in for a second night and they put us on the old side and the rooms were smaller but still cozy and pefectly clean. The carpet in the hallways needs to be updated but other than that this place is PERFECT. The staff was extremely helpful and the LOCATION IS AMAZING - walking distance to everything. The food in the restuarant and rooms service is excellent -excellent service. I will stay here again in January when I return for another Celtics game.

• Stayed: November 2012, travelled with friends
Reviewed 4 December 2012

Arrived at the Taj having booked it two days before. This hotel is so easy to find having taken the T from the airport (No problems even with two suitcases and only $2.50 each). Check in was extremely efficient and we were very quickly in our perfectly adequate room. This was a room overlooking Newbury rather than the Park. The hotel is the best I have stayed at in 4 visits to Boston, right on the Park, near the Common and on the corner of Arlington and Newbury.

One downside with the room was the lack of tea and coffee making facilities which I thought would be a given in such a class of hotel. This was a particular issue when, having been woken up at 7 o clock in the morning by the builders at the end of Newbury, ventured out for a tea and coffee. I would have to say that if you picked anywhere in the centre of Boston as far away from a coffee shop as you could, you would be at the Taj. My wife complained that her tea was cold when I got back to the room, but fortunately, this was drowned out by the builders who start at 7 am every morning except Sundays.

Overall a great hotel. Staff are excellent and friendly and with a few enhancements, this could easily be one of the best hotels in Boston

Room Tip: Take the T from the airport. It is so easy to do and not a problem even with two large suitcases. It...
  • Stayed: November 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 1 December 2012

The Taj is really a great choice. There's only so much I can say. It's kind of like Anna Karenina "good hotels are all alike." Well, that's true in a limited way. Like other hotels to which "luxury" might be added as a prefix, the Taj has opulent rooms, an attentive staff, impressive flower arrangments (okay, that doesn't really matter, but I'm try to create a sense of tableau)...in short, there's nothing to disappoint here. But those kinds of things don't really make it stand out. What does is 1) it is in a perfect location (and a great view) 2)the bar is really just enchanting in that dark-wood kind of way. If you're almost ready for bed but just not quite, it's certainly an asset. In short, if you're looking for a good hotel, this fits the bill. If you're looking for something that also happens to be ideally located, this is it. It's the perfect set-up for a little oasis in a little city with big buzz.

• Stayed: November 2012, travelled on business
1  Thank LifeofThings
Reviewed 1 December 2012

Stayed at the Taj for a long weekend mid November. Arrived at hotel around 1pm to be told room not ready until 3pm, they took our phone number and said they would call if ready any earlier, it wasn't. Room comfortable but bathroom really small. We were given a room on side of hotel, Newbury Street, we were woken every day but Sunday by workmen at 7am digging foundations on site opposite. We were woken at 4.30am one morning by Reception with our early morning call we hadn't booked !!. Good points lovely breakfast and lunch served by excellent staff in the "cafe" restaurant. The hotel is in a good spot opposite beautiful gardens. The concierge service again was excellent extremely informative, made a reservation for us at a great Steak house "Grill 55" short walking distance away. Shopping on Newbury Street great for shopaholics.

Only other bad point not to do with hotel beware taxis overcharging from airport, don't know if its the British accent and staying at a good hotel but we were charged more than double from airport to hotel as we were on return journey

Room Tip: Request room overlooking park
  • Stayed: November 2012, travelled as a couple

Dear Amanda,

Thank you so much for leaving your review and for your lovely compliments - I do hope you had a nice visit to Boston! It is great to hear you enjoyed your meals in the Cafe and our central location.

I do apologize we were not able to provide an earlier check-in. Our check-in time each day is 3pm, and we do our very best to have our guestrooms ready for those guests who would like to check in early. I would also like to apologize for the other inconveniences you faced during your stay. I have sent your feedback to the rest of our management team who will handle accordingly.

Thank you for staying at the Taj on your recent visit to Boston!

Taj Boston Management

Reviewed 30 November 2012

The staff was fabulous and went the extra mile for guests. Thank you. Their lobby was not up to a TAJ standard whatsoever. The hotel and rooms were clean and beds linens were fine but could have been much better. The towels and robes were like cardboard so I was very disappointed. The shower plumber was let's just say no adequate. Boston has some really fabulous hotels and I would chose another next time.

Room Tip: This is a great hotel for the location. If you want luxury and a little pampering, I would look else...
  • Stayed: November 2012, travelled with friends

Dear 3cents,

Thank you for leaving your review here on TripAdvisor. We take all feedback very seriously, and appreciate you leaving your comments regarding your guestroom. I would like to sincerely apologize for your dissatisfaction with your stay, and have passed your feedback along to the rest of our management team.

Thank you for staying at the Taj, we hope you had a lovely visit to Boston.

Taj Boston Management.