“Excellent location and service”
Review of Taj Boston

Taj Boston
Ranked #36 of 84 Hotels in Boston
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Reviewed 3 November 2013

Everyone in this Hotel was so helpful ensuring that our stay went perfectly. We had a lovely room with a side view on the Common. The continental buffet breakfast was a really good start to the day with all you could eat pastries, meats, fruit, bagels and coffee or tea. The dining room is a beautiful place to take breakfast and the waiters were excellent. The location is great for walking into Boston centre through the Common and gardens. There are free umbrellas available if it rains!

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
BostonTaj, Manager at Taj Boston, responded to this reviewResponded 4 November 2013

Dear plantsman_10,

Thank you very much for your lovely review following your recent stay with us at Taj Boston. We were so pleased to learn that you felt that our entire staff was helpful and ensured that your stay was perfect. We were also happy to hear to you enjoyed your room and the offerings at our continental breakfast.

We sincerely appreciate your kind comments and we look forward to welcoming you back to Taj Boston the next time your travels bring you to Boston!

Hotel Manager

Write a ReviewReviews (2,874)

Reviewed 3 November 2013

I was in Boston on business at a conference at Harvard Medical School (HMS) and chose to stay here. It is about 30 minutes walk from where the conference was being held, and this was not a problem. The hotel was easy to find. It's about 100 yards from the Arlington Station. Easy to get to from the airport. Also easy to get back to the airport too - $2.50 - by subway!

The hotel itself is a very grand building and the rooms are spacious. The facilities in the room - bathroom with bath and shower, lavatory and basin were all spotless. There was an ample supply of towels, including a robe and slippers.

The front of house staff (reception and concierge) were excellent. Jill the concierge who I dealt with most was briliant. My bag had been damaged by BA/TSA we will never know who. She contacted BA and got things moving to sort it out for me. She also had some great restaurant suggestions.

My tariff included the continental breakfast, which otherwise would have been $19. Having said that this wasn't just a couple of croissants and a bit of fruit. A great spread of fresh fruit, meats, cheese, cereals and breads. All very tasty.

There is a gym on the 4th floor, which coincidentally is the floor on which my room was situated. The gym is very good for a hotel gym, with a number of resistance machines, some free weights (dumbells), mats and a couple ofbenches. There was a ready supply of both fresh and bottled water, towels and sanitiser for the equipment. The cardio macines were OK too, but no rowing machine. Not a real problem as there was a cycle and treadmills and ellipticals.

So after my positive comments; why only 4 stars?

First. In the modern business world a hotel that has a tariff of the amount this one has (in £ about 175-180 per day) charging for Wi-Fi internet access is simply unacceptable. Fortunately there were suitable alternatives. The City of Boston does free wi-fi across Boston Common, but every Starbucks, fast food and restaurant also does it. I managed to piggy back a local shop for free from my room.

Second. The breakfast didn't start serving until 07:00. This was too late as my walk to HMS took 30-45 mins and I needed to leave before breakfast was served. Not a major problem as I got Starbucks on the way (like most of Boston from what I saw). In addition on the days when I did have breakfast I signed for it, they don't just record the room number like most places. However the 'server' told me I was simply signing to say I had had breakfast. Come checkout time I was asked to pay the gratuity that I had signed for. The servers didn't serve - they simply cleared the dishes when you had finished. They didn't even come round with coffee - that was self service. So I was a little aggrieved that for 3 breakfasts I was being charged about £9 service charge for clearing a glass and a bowl! When I explained that I had not added a gratuity it was pointed out that it was automatically added when I signed - not what I had been told.

Overall a great hotel, with just a couple of niggles. I would definitely go back as the location, facilities, reception and concierge team were brilliant. The location is good too - near Boylston and Newbury Streets - good shopping, Boston Common and Beacon Hill.

Room Tip: City View (Newbury Street side) is what I had - could piggy back free Wi-Fi $10+/day otherwise. Also...
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled solo
1  Thank g4Sandman
Reviewed 28 October 2013

If you look at a map of Boston you can see that the Taj, located by the common at the end of Newbury is in just about a perfect spot. The hotel itself is very nice. Many years ago I stayed there when it was the Ritz Carlton. It was not until Sunday morning at brunch that I finally realized that I had been there before. Talk about Deja Vu. Anyway it is an elegant hotel with a cosy friendly bar area that has good seating for private conversations. The staff are all very attentive and the exercise room is well equipped, although it could probably do with an extra elliptical machine in view of the ever aging population! The rooms are very nicely appointed and ours had a lovely view over the park across the road. The only criticisms of the room would have to be the lack of any coffee making equipment (which I regard as standard fare for an expensive hotel) and the tiny bathrooms. Now in fairness, this is an old building that has been renovated beautifully over time, but f you are a couple, you need to time your bathroom activity because you cannot get two people in there at once. My only other comment is a pet peeve of mine, and that is that the hotel wants to charge you per day for the internet. I hate this and don't understand why they don't build it into the price.
We spent two very comfortable nights there and would definitely use it again (knowingly this time) when we next visit Boston.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Stephen C
BostonTaj, Manager at Taj Boston, responded to this reviewResponded 1 November 2013

Dear stephen c,

Thank you so much for taking the time to review your recent stay with us at Taj Boston. We were so pleased to learn that you found our hotel to be elegant, with a cosy friendly bar area, and that you appreciated our attentive staff and well-equipped exercise room. Further, we were delighted to hear that you enjoyed your lovely view of the beautiful Public Garden.

We appreciate your constructive comments, as it is with feedback such as this that we are able to improve our guest services. We would like you to know that we are currently upgrading our Internet so that we may offer free Wifi in the near future, so hopefully by the next time you visit Boston, we will be able to offer this without charge.

Again, we thank you for taking the time to provide your comments, and we look forward to welcoming you back to Taj Boston in the near future!

Reviewed 27 October 2013

My wife and I stayed here for the weekend in July to see the Red Sox. 5 star hotel right across the street from the park.Service was impeccable. They upgraded us to a suite. The room was on the corner overlooking the park. The view of the park from the window was partially blocked by the trees across the street but was not an issue. Sitting area was furnished with beautiful antiques and a large flat screen tv. Bed was very comfortable.Reasonably priced for what you get. Would highly recommend this hotel.

Room Tip: Great brunch.
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Skibum028
Reviewed 27 October 2013

What a wonderful stay I had here in October 2013 for 5 nights. There was a slight delay at check-in, so they offered us drinks, free of charge, so I couldn't complain! The room was large and bright, with great views of the garden and Boston Common. The mini-bar offered a great selection, and was reasonably priced for a 5 star hotel. The Continental breakfast was a little pricy, but the setting was very pleasent. Staff were all attentive and helpful. An added luxury was the 'turn down' service each night!! If I had to criticise in any way, I'd say the in-room safe could've done with being larger, it was very tight to fit even an Ipad into and the bar menu was significantly lacking in choices. Overall, a fantastic stay!

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled with family
BostonTaj, Manager at Taj Boston, responded to this reviewResponded 28 October 2013

Dear RyanCBM,

Thank you very much for your lovely review following your recent stay with us at Taj Boston! We were delighted to learn that you had a wonderful stay, and enjoyed the beautiful park views, continental breakfast, and our attentive and gracious staff. We also love that you shared your beautiful photos from your stay!

We thank you again for taking the time to provide your comments, and we look forward to welcoming you and your family back to Taj Boston the next time your travels bring you to Boston!

Reviewed 24 October 2013

The Taj hotel was excellent old hotel. Rooms were great, I overlooked the park across the street. Service was excellent. Food provided for the conference I attended was also excellent. Great location with easy access to restaurants and the metro to get around town.

Stayed: September 2013, travelled on business
Reviewed 24 October 2013 via mobile

Not what it's cracked up to be what they think it should be. Staff were very good, but the hotel itself could try and do a lot more to come upto the standard it has been given. A bath that would not drain, weigh scales with a leg missing, mould around the soap tray, and most annoying charging $10.45 for Wi-fi. When small hotels can do this for Free. 5 star I don't think so.

Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Trevor B

Dear Trevor B,

Thank you for providing your comments following your stay with us at Taj Boston. We were pleased to hear that you enjoyed our staff, but we are disappointed to hear that you had some inconsistencies during your stay. We have notified our Engineering and Housekeeping Departments of your comments, and we would like you to know that we are currently upgrading our Internet so that we may offer Wifi free of charge in the near future.

We thank you again for taking the time to give us your feedback, and we hope to welcome you back to Taj Boston in the future!